Once again

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So yesterday evening the dogs were in their kennel barking. This went on for a long time. This morning I took the quad up through the field to see what tracks were there. Well the dogs disappeared into the dry ditch. A while later here comes the older dog with a deer head and part of its neck. I ran back to where I last saw the dogs. About 100 feet up the hills is the old Oxman ditch which hasn't had water in 100 years. My dog was up trailing this way and that way. About 15 magpies flew up out of the ditch. I called my dog back down and we went to the house. About a hour later I looked out and she is in the driveway with driveway with a deer leg connected to the better part of a shoulder. My educated guess is that a cat killed another deer. Just a little over 200 yards from the house.

I'm sure they are a nuisance to you. But, I got to admit, it sounds pretty cool. Around here we dislike wolves, but it is still pretty cool to see them.

I'm sure they are a nuisance to you. But, I got to admit, it sounds pretty cool. Around here we dislike wolves, but it is still pretty cool to see them.
The deer population is suffering. Other than that I don't give them a thought. It is extremely rare to see one. I am 71 and between ranching, cowboying, cutting timber, and running a full time trap line I have spent a lifetime in the outdoors. Almost all of it in areas with a healthy lion population. I can count on my fingers the cats I have seen in the wild and have some fingers left over.

Latest posts