old theories??

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime":3n7odg3k said:
It was incredible how many people bought into that ostrich/emu pyramid scheme.
Deep pitted it's pretty hard to beat. The hard part is killing them as they can get pretty flighty but a piece of wire suspending a tinfoil ball directly over a shotgun barrel works well. :D

A 219 Donaldson Wasp through the wing butts is light outs on emus. Should work just as well on ostriches.

EIEIO":347gpmwp said:
Here is a couple that came to me from a rancher that grew up during the great depression.

If you got a cow that jumps fences take a piece of galvanized wire and tie both it's ears back using the holes you would have ear tags in. He said when a human that gets ready to jump they throw their arms foreword and a cow won't jump if it's ears are pinned back.

He also said back then they only ran 2 strand barb wire fence and if they had a calf that was going under a fence they would take a can and I think pierce the back of the neck of the calf and tie the can to it with wire, when the calf heard the sound of the can hitting the wire it would not go through.

Dun, I heard the reason the indians rode Appaloosas were cause they were so dang mean that by the time they got to a battle the horses were even more fired up and ready to fight than the rider. We had a spotted Appy once and I'm almost inclined to agree. Great looking but the meanest dang horse I've ever been around.

Not related to cattle or horses but grandma always said if it was raining and the birds were still out it was going to be a long rain but if there were no birds to be seen the rain would not last long.

J
I've always heard the Indians were such great fighters because when they rode their Appaloosas to battle they were extra pixxed off and ready to fight because of their own horses. I never been much of an App man, they're aggravating enough to make a preacher cuss.

Clodhopper":3ksu9jrg said:
I've always heard the Indians were such great fighters because when they rode their Appaloosas to battle they were extra pixxed off and ready to fight because of their own horses. I never been much of an App man, they're aggravating enough to make a preacher cuss.
Bred Appys and quarters. Neither were as irritating as arabs or thoroughbreds, or the owners of same

"Cows bunched up and laying down is harbinger of stormy weather."
I always figured they were just tired and belly full

dun":ognze5xm said:
Clodhopper":ognze5xm said:
Bred Appys and quarters. Neither were as irritating as arabs or thoroughbreds, or the owners of same
Now that's funny.

TexasBred":26wrc1dg said:
ga.prime":26wrc1dg said:
Like most all "fads" many that got in early made killing too.
Sure, you have to get in early to make any money in a pyramid scheme. Ones that got in early were able to make a killing by selling breeding stock to new recruits at exorbitant prices and in almost no time at all ostriches and emus were as common as yard dogs and you couldn't give one away. Their only value was as breeding stock. They would had to have been cheaper by the pound than chicken for anybody to buy it and eat it. Yet they were selling to the tune of the astonishingly unsustainable price of $3000/bird.

Two old gals that my wife bought her farm from were early on with llamas. They made good money way back when. Now the trouble is the wife gave them a life time estate. Not a problem to have them in one of the houses but their llamas are taking up half the pasture. I keep coming up with plans on how the llamas could disappear. So far all my plans have been vetoed.

dun":3tszu7ap said:
Clodhopper":3tszu7ap said:
My first 2 horses were apps...both were very dangerous. Had to ride them every day to keep them from killing me. Every body ache i have now is due to Tippy, several concussions and 5 broken bones in my back haunt me 40 years later.. My TBs are goofy in the head...Great horses, just goofy. I'm a forxtrotter person now..Totally agree with the arabs and their owners...ugh

TexasBred":17ivmqxs said:
ga.prime":17ivmqxs said:
I had several friends who sunk so much money into it. At the time my thoughts were, if they were good to eat we'd already be eating them.
My MIL use to walk down our roads for exercise. One time she was chased by 2 emus someone dumped...We had one dumped that got near a herd of our cows. They stampeded through 2 fences when they saw it...

We got rain today. I've been under the understanding that if it rains and the sun is shining, it will rain again the next day at the same time. Its almost always true...

cowgirl8":2fp8qwpz said:
We got rain today. I've been under the understanding that if it rains and the sun is shining, it will rain again the next day at the same time. Its almost always true...

that happens a lot of the time. but I am hoping its wrong this time.
we have hay cut and its raining , we never get rain like this in August. was not but a 20% chance for rain and we have had two blinding down pours today plus some showers.

ga.prime":3t8b6wlx said:
TexasBred":3t8b6wlx said:
ga.prime":3t8b6wlx said:
Sure, you have to get in early to make any money in a pyramid scheme. Ones that got in early were able to make a killing by selling breeding stock to new recruits at exorbitant prices and in almost no time at all ostriches and emus were as common as yard dogs and you couldn't give one away. Their only value was as breeding stock. They would had to have been cheaper by the pound than chicken for anybody to buy it and eat it. Yet they were selling to the tune of the astonishingly unsustainable price of $3000/bird.

Very true and there were plenty of buyers. I never looked at it as a pyramid scheme but just anothe attempt to introduce another source of meat (and income). The meat was really pretty good especially if made into smoked sausage.

Only really negative experience I had with them was while pushing the cattle to the corral and just as we got there one of the damm things stood up in the ditch outside the fence. Spooked all the cows and almost got me killed in the stampede. :lol: :lol:

TB, yeah it wasn't an organized or orchestrated pyramid scheme but rather a pyramid by happenstance. An inadvertent pyramid. So, not really a scheme but still a pyramid the way I look at it. There's probably another word for that kind of craze but I don't know what it is.

Pyramid is pretty accurate, tho ponzi is a close 2nd.

Ponzi schemes are based on fraudulent investment management services – basically investors contribute money to the "portfolio manager" who promises them a high return, and then when those investors want their money back they are paid out with the incoming funds contributed by later investors. The person organizing this type of fraud is in charge of controlling the entire operation; they merely transfer funds from one client to another and forgo any real investment activities.

On the other hand, a pyramid scheme is structured so that the initial schemer must recruit other investors who will continue to recruit other investors and those investors will then continue to recruit additional investors and so on. Sometimes there will be an incentive that is presented as an investment opportunity, such as the right to sell a particular product. Each investor pays the person who recruited them for the chance to sell this item. The recipient must share the proceeds with those at the higher levels of the pyramid structure.

Latest posts