old theories??

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
What kind of old theories have ya'll heard about cattle or anything else?

An old man was looking at my cows with the other day and he said "that cow is going to have a nice bull calf because one side of her belly is bigger than the other. If she was to have a heifer she would look more even from the front." I just accepted it because he's old and that's the respectful thing to do.

triple'S'":39awcbef said:
What kind of old theories have ya'll heard about cattle or anything else?

An old man was looking at my cows with the other day and he said "that cow is going to have a nice bull calf because one side of her belly is bigger than the other. If she was to have a heifer she would look more even from the front." I just accepted it because he's old and that's the respectful thing to do.

You done right SSS. If you had called him what he is......................."an old fool", you would not have helped yourself one bit. ;-)

The only thing I can think of is they can predict the weather. If they bunch up or head into shelter - a snow storm is coming. If they get excited and running around - a lightening/thunderstorm is coming. Don't know if it's true but I trust them more than the "liars" on tv.

my knees goes off when the rain comes, usually about half hour after it starts raining. might come in handy if i ever go blind.

lots of theories come to mind
so is good more is better to much is best.
Bulls are cheaper than AI
70% of genetics come from the maternal side
if you go bald it is your maternal grandpas fault
If you grow your own hay it is free
60% of all beef calves are heifers
60% of all dairy calves are bulls
everything in Texas is better
California is the center of the universe
ET doesnt work because the blood from the recip mixes with the DNA
Ostriches will replace beef
self worth is associated to the truck you drive
There is no money in AG
Food comes from the store

all i can think of right now

Don't know if this is an answerto your question, but...... A wise old cattleman told me many years ago that cows could provide you a good living; buy a place for you; or pay for themselves. Just don't ask them to do two of the above!

ga. prime":18qxdaix said:
If the county road scraper grades your dirt road, it will rain before the sun rises on the day following.

And you will get a new flat tire from the horseshoe nails they turn up.

If you wash your truck or car it will rain. Maybe you Texans need to do that. Also, putting Sevin dust in your dog pens to get rid of fleas and fire ants cause it to rain. Sometimes putting out seed or fertilizer causes a drought.

Adding vinegar to the cattle water will cause you to have more heifer calves.
If a storm is coming the cows will calve that day due to low pressure.
Taking a non cycling cow for a ride around the section will bring her into heat.
Don't know what's true and what's not.

I have done the drive around the section. Don't tell anyone! Cow's can sense when the battery for the electric fence is dead before you know it. Cattle always get out on sundays, especially if it's a holiday and a sunday. If you don't look at the cow she won't try to take you. (The Mrs. always says she wants their number before she gets knocked down.) Feeding cattle bread will prevent infections due to the yeast in. Bull calves are dumber and slower than heifer calves. An ounce of chocolate will kill a cow. Don't feed a cold calf or it will die of shock. You can feed your cattle paper and molasses and they will do fine. A cow can eat it's manure and still get nutritional content out of it. Short grass is more "powerful" than tall grass. These are just some that I have heard.

I don't know if this is an old theory, but it sure works like a charm here.

'If you DO want cattle to go through gate, they'll rarely see the opening, but if you DON't want them to go through it, just open one and walk away from it for five minutes...they'll find it everytime (especially if they know you're going to have to out-run the herd to keep them from getting out into the hayfield, road, etc).'

Take care.

I got one on horses. One white stocking buy him, two white stockings, try him, three white stockings shy him, four white stockings, take off his hide and throw it to the crows .

A relative that used to breed thoroughbreds claimed the only reason the indians road Appaloosas was that they were the only horses slow enough that they could catch them on foot.

dun

Latest posts