old theories??

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David":1q36z681 said:
flaboy+...heard one simuliar about the socks on a horse, think it had to do with speed. Been along time and I forgot...DMc

Well look it up and let me know. I just purchased a horse and the first thing my dad (ROC Real Old Cattleman) asked was how many white socks. He then reminded me of the old saying. Wonder what you are supposed to do if it doesn't have any?

flaboy+":f2llua3b said:
I got one on horses. One white stocking buy him, two white stockings, try him, three white stockings shy him, four white stockings, take off his hide and throw it to the crows .

I've heard the same basic thing..only it is if he has 4 white feet and a white nose, chop off his head and feed him to the crows....hope thats not true...cause my gelding coming up to break is just that :shock:

My grandfather said that when you drive cattle with baby calves the bull calves will tire faster than the heifer calves which I noticed to be true.

WestieGirl":2xwnai7t said:
flaboy+":2xwnai7t said:
I got one on horses. One white stocking buy him, two white stockings, try him, three white stockings shy him, four white stockings, take off his hide and throw it to the crows .

I've heard the same basic thing..only it is if he has 4 white feet and a white nose, chop off his head and feed him to the crows....hope thats not true...cause my gelding coming up to break is just that :shock:

The best horse I ever owned was a QH gelding with four white socks and a blaze face.

3 months after a fog expect moisture.

A trees' leaves turn upside down when expecting rain.

The lower the swirl the calmer the animal (cows and horses).

The coldest time of winter will always come when we are at our busiest time of calving, it doesn't matter the date.

Here is a couple that came to me from a rancher that grew up during the great depression.

If you got a cow that jumps fences take a piece of galvanized wire and tie both it's ears back using the holes you would have ear tags in. He said when a human that gets ready to jump they throw their arms foreword and a cow won't jump if it's ears are pinned back.

He also said back then they only ran 2 strand barb wire fence and if they had a calf that was going under a fence they would take a can and I think pierce the back of the neck of the calf and tie the can to it with wire, when the calf heard the sound of the can hitting the wire it would not go through.

Dun, I heard the reason the indians rode Appaloosas were cause they were so dang mean that by the time they got to a battle the horses were even more fired up and ready to fight than the rider. We had a spotted Appy once and I'm almost inclined to agree. Great looking but the meanest dang horse I've ever been around.

Not related to cattle or horses but grandma always said if it was raining and the birds were still out it was going to be a long rain but if there were no birds to be seen the rain would not last long.

J

Not long ago I had a young-ish part-time cattle feeder tell me that you must feed your market cattle straw so that their fat will be white!!

My great aunt always claimed that milk cows knelt and prayed at midnight on Christmas Eve!

If a cow ever losses her cud she will die!

The Turkmen of Central Asia were the breeders of the famous Akhal Teke horses. They liked stocking feet but only three. They were (are) a modest people and figured four was just showing off.

Supa Dexta":2bh1k753 said:
joe":2bh1k753 said:
An ounce of chocolate will kill a cow.

Considering some guys feed truck loads of it, I'm not buying that one

City folk think that's how we get chocolate milk from a cow. :D as long as it's GMO free.

arkie1":1jjmrcvu said:
Supa Dexta":1jjmrcvu said:
joe":1jjmrcvu said:
An ounce of chocolate will kill a cow.

City folk think that's how we get chocolate milk from a cow. :D as long as it's GMO free.

I thought chocolate milk came from brown cows?

Rafter S":364rdb9y said:
arkie1":364rdb9y said:
Supa Dexta":364rdb9y said:

I thought chocolate milk came from brown cows?

I have a second cousin, she's four, who doesn't get out to the country much. Apparently she had seen me bottle feeding an orphan calf on one of her trips out to our place. I don't recall what color the calf was but it concerned her because he wasn't white and I was giving him white milk... She told her mom and dad about this and they explained to her that all milk that comes from any cow is white. She then came to the conclusion that dairy farmers must feet chocolate to some of the cows to get chocolate milk. :lol:

Plant your corn when the leaves of the Osage Orange are the size of a field mouse's ear.

Farmhand":251xxqvm said:
The only thing I can think of is they can predict the weather. If they bunch up or head into shelter - a snow storm is coming.

Mine have done that lots of times over the years.
I'm still waiting for the snow.

Beef11":7t2euap8 said:
my knees goes off when the rain comes, usually about half hour after it starts raining. might come in handy if i ever go blind.

lots of theories come to mind
so is good more is better to much is best.
Bulls are cheaper than AI
70% of genetics come from the maternal side
if you go bald it is your maternal grandpas fault
If you grow your own hay it is free Tell my banker that. Maybe he'll forgive my $100K debt on a tractor, mower, rake, baler and fertilizer. :lol:
60% of all beef calves are heifers
60% of all dairy calves are bulls
everything in Texas is better
California is the center of the universe
ET doesnt work because the blood from the recip mixes with the DNA
Ostriches will replace beef
self worth is associated to the truck you drive
There is no money in AG
Food comes from the store

all i can think of right now

"Ostriches will replace beef"
Emu my friend--and their eggs--that's where the real money is.

Now excuse me, while I get in my flyin car and go check on the cows.....

ga.prime":30i5oas9 said:
It was incredible how many people bought into that ostrich/emu pyramid scheme.
There's still a couple up the road that are the remnants of that era. The owner is a widow and they were pretty much all she inherited besides the ten acres. The story goes that things were getting pretty crowded until a tree fell on the fence and she told the neighbor to just shoot whatever he couldn't pen because she didn't know how to handle them. Now there are just three and a lot of okies that can tell you how they like their ostrich prepared.

Latest posts