Cleaning up old Farm Sheds ?

Help Support CattleToday:

The old style layout was to squeeze new buildings and metal grain bins between existing buildings. So the next tear down is 4' from a 4500 bu bin...

How big are they? A trackhoe with a thumb is the easiest and safest if your not trying to save material. If they are a pole style you can loop some chain around the posts and pull them down then push and pile especially if you have a grapple. In that tight of an area the trackhoe would be my first choice. A lot more control over things.

I'm thinking small old granary type shed. If it's that type without actually being secured just cut a couples holes in wall and floor and pull out with chain. If it pulls out decent you might have yourself a nice little chicken shed for someone, and a few hundred bucks in your pocket.

Biggest tear down on is about 28' by 72'. Roof leaks and sills are bad, so beyond salvage. Dad wanted to hang used shag carpet across the front and run calves in it till the manure pack got too high. I am not that redneck.

I was thinking about pulling it down and then cutting off chunks to feed the wood boiler? We don't accept handouts, but we do burn a lot of wood and eat a lot of venison. :cboy:

I've done a few when i was younger, we took them down piece by piece as most of the wood was a local timber called jarrah which lasts a good 100 years and termites don't like it so great to re use. Problem is all the buildings were asbestos sheets. Don't think i have much to worry about but worth remembering with these old buildings.

Latest posts