Old Picture

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Was in the Old Stockyards building yesrerday and was taken by some photos of the Junior Livestock kids from the 50's, well not the kids but the steers they raised.
All Hereford...not one animal appeared to be over 48" at the hip and talk about wide, most were at least two kids in width.
Most looked like little locomotives standing on short tree trunks. Livestock sure has evolved over the years.
Just letting my mind wander again.
Dave Mc

Write this down and stick it somewhere to read later, "Herefords will be making a huge comeback price wise, and number wise so long as corn stays up" Hereford are the most efficient of all breed in a feed lot, a proven fact.

Herefordcross":df5kz6w0 said:
Write this down and stick it somewhere to read later, "Herefords will be making a huge comeback price wise, and number wise so long as corn stays up" Hereford are the most efficient of all breed in a feed lot, a proven fact.
Can you show me that proven fact documented.

let me guess somn your a black fan. i hate to start something here but i think it needs to be said. i know its hard for you to believe but herefords were actually a popular breed. just like herefords popularity burnt out so will the blacks. i know its just so hard for you to believe but yes 50 years ago herefords were once as popular and productive as any black breed. its just a fad. i love my herefords and i dont care if they would be the most hated breed and some people dont believe in them. ya know when you cross an angus and herefords you get them good looking baldies. so with out a hereford you couldnt make that possible. im not sayin that blacks are such a terrible breed. yes i do have some angus and maines but i dont like them as much as my herefords :heart:

Just go talk to pretty much every stocker around, they will tell you the impact that Hereford crosses have had on the growth and efficiency of their stockers. If I remember the article correctly, on average herefords take 10% less to do the same job as others in their contemporaries.

cattleluvr18":3ebmpldj said:
let me guess somn your a black fan. i hate to start something here but i think it needs to be said. i know its hard for you to believe but herefords were actually a popular breed. just like herefords popularity burnt out so will the blacks. i know its just so hard for you to believe but yes 50 years ago herefords were once as popular and productive as any black breed. its just a fad. i love my herefords and i dont care if they would be the most hated breed and some people dont believe in them. ya know when you cross an angus and herefords you get them good looking baldies. so with out a hereford you couldnt make that possible. im not sayin that blacks are such a terrible breed. yes i do have some angus and maines but i dont like them as much as my herefords :heart:
I am certainly not a black fan. I'm a fan of whatever breed shows me the largest number on the bottom of a close out sheet. My past history has showed me herefords to be very inconsistant. Some have an awesome close out sheets and some are horrible.

KNERSIE":map5q57i said:
I am not in the least interested to be part of a breed bashing contest, but since Somn asked here is a link to such research

http://www.studbook.co.za/Society/heref ... 0Angus.pdf
Boy that link is just full of knowledge. Not one single piece of information showing starting weight, finishing weights, pounds of feed consumed, ADG, number of days on feed. Nothing I was hoping for solid numbers.

I am not stuck on one breed either, we have a rainbow. Just can't find any blue, yellow, green or purple cows.

The proof is in the feedlots.

somn
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:46 am Post subject: Re: herefords

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herefordcross wrote:
Can you show me that proven fact documented.
Just ask some feed lots, I know from experience that I can take a "comparable" group of Angus and a group of Hereford cows and It takes about 16% less hay to maintain the herf than it does the angus. That was from our own test last year and the year before. Like I said we have crossed up everything on our place so I am in no way bias. I have just seen and experienced the difference. If you do some web searches you will find that there are more hereford cattle in the world than any other breed, according to something I read, wish I could find it. It went on to say that when the U.S. farmers started to stray away from the herefords years ago that the uniformity left the biggest part of the cow herds in the us.
I'll look some stuff up for you. I get some email stuff out of a wyoming feed lot and one in Kansas. The guy that owns the stock yard around here also owns Stampede Feeders I think it is? Might be wrong on the name. He will buy herefords all day long for the same price as blacks are bringing if he knows where they come from. Wait and see, maybe time will prove me wrong! I'll try to look up some of that stuff. Wasn't trying to start a breed bashing contest. I'll pm you when I find some stuff so that it doesn't turn into a war of boards. :lol:

I am not stuck on one breed either, we have a rainbow. Just can't find any blue, yellow, green or purple cows.

same here!! but if you do find any blue yellow green or purple cows could ya give me a pm? lol :lol:

i enjoy having a veriety herefords are just my fav. always have been always will be. i know when i inherit the farm i might just switch to all herefords.

I know where you can get blue and purple cows . . . get a charolais/white shorthorn and wash it with blue-o or purple spray. Hey presto! Rainbow cattle!

Here is a patented 'Aussie Rainbow' bull - available in custom made colours and patterns.

Finch_photos_098.JPG

Here is part of an article written by Tom Granznow. It appeared in several magazines including the Kansas Hereford Association Headliner. These numbers were compiled by the Kansas State University Extension Service over a 12 year period of time.

"In comparing to the Kansas yard averages, these Hereford and Hereford/English cross cattle have indeed excelled consistently enough to prove the efficiency of the Hereford breed. In total cost of gain, the Hereford steers in 2005 averaged a .475 cost per pound of gain compared to the Kansas Yard Average of .553. The Herefords gained at a 3.59 pound per day clip, with the yard average being 3.29. Feed conversion was the big difference with the Herefords hitting finished weight with a 4.85 pounds of feed per pound of gain and the yard average being 6.16 (dry matter basis). This is a whopping 21% saving in feed consumed. (Kansas Yard Averages supplied by Kansas State University Extension Service)."

These cattle fed for 15% less than the yard average, gained better than the yard average, and did it all on 21% less feed. All of the cattle tested made PAR Value or higher on ribeye and muscling for USDA grading.

Herefordcross":1s4oz2kh said:

They used to be, anyway, I wouldn't count on it for what passes for herefords these days. :)

They used to be, anyway, I wouldn't count on it for what passes for herefords these days.
boy...you had alot of balls to put that cause there are ssssooo many people here that could prove you wrong! did you not read anything that they posted?!?! what do you like....Blacks :lol2:

C'mon kiddies...didn't mean to start the old black vs brown thing. We have both and will probably always have a few Herfs on the place for no other reason than we like them and besides the beef that we keep for our freezer comes from a 36 mo grass & grain finished Hereford..
I was just commenting on how the size and shape of the animals has evolved over the years. Dmc

Proof. Attended the Mill Creek Ranch Sale today in Manhattan Kansas. Hereford Bulls averaged price was $2285. Angus Bulls averaged $1680. Not good prices on either group for the quality of genetics that was offered. But I would rather sell a bull for $2285 than $1680. And I believe I recently read that research at MARC in Nebraska has shown the Hereford to be the most efficient beef breed in 5 of 7 areas evaluated for beef breeds on forage. Don't have to write it down, it's already happening.

Here's a link to the results of the 05 Auburn bull test.

http://www.albcia.org/AU05_Final_Senior_report.pdf

Although a single Beefmaster had the best 84 day FE score at 5.69 it was based on only one animal and so is not statistically significant. The other groups had better statistical significance and came in as follows:

Simm-Angus group =6.13
Herferod group =6.42,
Simmentals group = 6.87
Angus group = 7.05

jhambley":1klex5nt said:
Here is part of an article written by Tom Granznow. It appeared in several magazines including the Kansas Hereford Association Headliner. These numbers were compiled by the Kansas State University Extension Service over a 12 year period of time.

"In comparing to the Kansas yard averages, these Hereford and Hereford/English cross cattle have indeed excelled consistently enough to prove the efficiency of the Hereford breed. In total cost of gain, the Hereford steers in 2005 averaged a .475 cost per pound of gain compared to the Kansas Yard Average of .553. The Herefords gained at a 3.59 pound per day clip, with the yard average being 3.29. Feed conversion was the big difference with the Herefords hitting finished weight with a 4.85 pounds of feed per pound of gain and the yard average being 6.16 (dry matter basis). This is a whopping 21% saving in feed consumed. (Kansas Yard Averages supplied by Kansas State University Extension Service)."

These cattle fed for 15% less than the yard average, gained better than the yard average, and did it all on 21% less feed. All of the cattle tested made PAR Value or higher on ribeye and muscling for USDA grading.
What was the final finish weight? I sell by the pound not the head. How many more herefords do I need to buy in order to sell the same pounds? Money saved by FE can sometimes be cancelled out by lost revenue in pounds of meat sold or the extra input costs of additional calves bought. I'm not saying herefords are bad I'm just saying it isn't always as simple as it appears. The herefords around here haven proven themselves to be vary inconsistant to many weekend cowboys breeding salebarn cull cows by salebarn bulls both of which probably should never been allowed to reproduce in the first place.

Latest posts