Old photograph

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
HL_20140531130245.jpg

From the book American Brahman
Not much room for improvement, the round wheel works just fine.

JWBrahman":674hzxtz said:
It would be interesting if the cattleman would wake up to this fact. Instead they continue to tilt at windmills at the urging of all the breed associations and academics and bull studs and AI supply companies, ect and so forth.....Maybe someday the cattleman will wake up to the fact that these folks are really just buttering their own bread.....Of course this is not likely as most of today's cattleman are graduates of colleges that have pumped their heads full of all "tools available for improvement" and this is reinforced by 99.9% of articles in the trade rags.........

Oh well.....

WichitaLineMan":98svq4bg said:
JWBrahman":98svq4bg said:
It would be interesting if the cattleman would wake up to this fact. Instead they continue to tilt at windmills at the urging of all the breed associations and academics and bull studs and AI supply companies, ect and so forth.....Maybe someday the cattleman will wake up to the fact that these folks are really just buttering their own bread.....Of course this is not likely as most of today's cattleman are graduates of colleges that have pumped their heads full of all "tools available for improvement" and this is reinforced by 99.9% of articles in the trade rags.........

Oh well.....

LOL. So, ignorance is bliss when it comes to cattle breeding? Should we just let the school teachers and accountants do the cattle breeding then?

Wichita, there has always been a tendency for cattlemen to need some medical assistance when they start choking after hours of patting oneself on the back. Self promotion, marketing, and outright bullying have always been part of the equation since the 1800's. There were four Hudgins brothers and one of them was in Brahman before JD, but JD was the biggest and the meanest looking of the bunch so the company is called JDHudgins 120 years later.

The Ag programs at Texas A&M and LSU have actually done a lot to give the accountants and schoolteachers raising a few head the opportunity to see the data and make better breeding decisions than were available in the past.

I think this advertisement says it all. The claims are pretty funny to the modern cattle producer.
HL_20140601042014.jpg

I'm not that fond of the look of them.. but I'll say that they certainly have their place in the herd for you southerners.

I like the fact that she's got her 15th calf and it looks good. That's the problem with selecting for longevity,.. you never know which cow is going to last a good long time and produce welluntil she gets old... It's not like just selecting for weaning weights that you can see as a young cow she'll be exceptional and keep replacements from her.

Here's one of my best cows I put down last fall.. 16 calves in 17 years, she's about 15 in the picture. She started to get bad arthritis unfortunately. Her last calf was the biggest heifer of the herd though, and one of the best looking.. High hopes for her. I have 4 daughters and 2 granddaughters, and I plan on keeping a great-grand daughter from her this year, she's the best looking of the bunch.
IMG_6910.jpg

Nesikep":3bgocwnz said:
I'm not that fond of the look of them.. but I'll say that they certainly have their place in the herd for you southerners.

I like the fact that she's got her 15th calf and it looks good. That's the problem with selecting for longevity,.. you never know which cow is going to last a good long time and produce welluntil she gets old... It's not like just selecting for weaning weights that you can see as a young cow she'll be exceptional and keep replacements from her.

Here's one of my best cows I put down last fall.. 16 calves in 17 years, she's about 15 in the picture. She started to get bad arthritis unfortunately. Her last calf was the biggest heifer of the herd though, and one of the best looking.. High hopes for her. I have 4 daughters and 2 granddaughters, and I plan on keeping a great-grand daughter from her this year, she's the best looking of the bunch.
IMG_6910.jpg
I also think that environment also play a role too. If your cow ended up in the South, she will fell apart and cull herself before she can see her 10th birthday.

Why is that Taurus? I have 3 old cows left that are 15+ years old. The cow that we're treating for acidosis is one of them old ones. She is headed to the sale barn if she makes it. I cull when the cow can't make it back to her original condition after calving. She will sell as a heavy bred thin old cow, and bring decent money.

I want have cattle that works well in our environment and keeps their body condition stays prime during worst times and raised a calf every year. Its not just genetics anymore.

Taurus, that is quite true, and every environment is different, but phenotypes for climate excluded, some cows live longer than others. I'm just looking for cows that produce better and last longer for my area and management conditions

Taurus":5dief04w said:
I want have cattle that works well in our environment and keeps their body condition stays prime during worst times and raised a calf every year. Its not just genetics anymore.
Got a cow that looks like a hand slug chitin year round,that breeds back on time and raises a great calf, back pasture cow for sure,,way back .. her mom was coming 19 when I sold her...meets all her dams criteria,just looks like he&& while doing it.....

Nesikep":p8j8sik8 said:

IMG_6910.jpg

Nesi, I always enjoy reading about your cattle. You know exactly what you have in your herd and that is a rare thing. Thank you for pointing out that even with all the information you have collected sexual reproduction is a roll of the dice.

ALACOWMAN":271fk01w said:
One of the best cows for southern commercial herds, like the black baldie is to the north...

Before the Brahman most of the southern herds were a combination of Shorthorn and Longhorn. Reading between the lines in American Brahman you can see that it was a huge deal for the cattle industry when Hereford were first crossed with Brahman. I think that Beefmaster and
Santa Gertrudis would be a three way cross with Angus instead of Shorthorn if they had been created later in the 20th century. The field trials with Angus were much later at LSU, and the first bull they used was a heavy milking Red Brahman.

alexfarms":2ab45mit said:
JWBrahman":2ab45mit said:
HL_20140531130245.jpg

From the book American Brahman

Nice pair and impressive record.

She has maintained decent body condition and that calf looks to be a respectable size. The 21st century will be the century of the Brahman x Hereford cross.

Growing up in UCLA (upper corner of lower Alabama), on a little farm with crossbred cattle - a mix of Hereford/Angus, with some influence from my grandparents' old Jersey & Guernsey herd, and some Red Poll my dad had when he was in FFA, infusing some Brahman influence, in the form of a halfblood Simbrah bull, back in the '80s, really made those ol' cows look like stars. Dad was apprehensive, as they'd had some 1/2 Brahmans in the past, courtesy of a visiting bull - but the calves - and the cows the heifers became - made a believer out of him.

I felt like beef cattle in that part of the world ought to be at least 1/4, if not 1/2 Brahman - and still think some Brahman influence there is a good thing. But, up here in the frigid northland of KY(lol), I'm not sure that it's necessary. But, I love some ear, and recently saw several groups of AngusXBeefmaster heifers that looked better than anything I've seen in years. Made me think about using a Brahman-influence breed on some of the cows...but I don't think the farm manager will let me do it.

I have always thought that cattlemen up north are missing out on some great crosses. A quarter to 3/8 ear would make for some super cattle in our northern climates.

Has anyone seen any research that would put the palatability of these crosses on the same level or above the main "good eating breeds"? I only ask because all of the research I've seen has Brahman-influenced cattle down the list in terms of eating quality.

WalnutCrest":38pobx3z said:
Has anyone seen any research that would put the palatability of these crosses on the same level or above the main "good eating breeds"? I only ask because all of the research I've seen has Brahman-influenced cattle down the list in terms of eating quality.

I am curious which research you have seen? Chippie posted a link to the Houston Livestock Show steer evaluation last year. The Brahman and Brahman cross steers graded as well as anything except Red Angus.

Latest posts