Okay, I really need help with hashbrowns

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Out of the bag from the freezer in stores, I have tried several things to get crispy, brown hashbrowns. I let them thaw and cook in hot oil, before it smokes, I don't try to flip to early, I let them set for a certain amount of minutes, just like some sites on the internet say ..... But darn, they suck!!! Help please! :tiphat: :tiphat: :D

Oh yea, I still eat them with a over easy egg, but any suggestions would be nice.

Alan

Try adding butter after it looks like the oil is used up. Just keep adding pats of butter to the center of the pile. Not margarine. BUTTER

Good amount of olive oil, thick pan for even heat distrubution, and hot flame.

Once they are "thawed" out a bit add a little more oil (or butter per Jogee) if needed and stir em around a little (maybe add some onion, little green pepper)... Turn back the flame a bit so you don't scorch em. From here I try to only turn them rather than stir them. You may also be putting to many in the pan so that you are steaming them rather than frying them.

I flip the irons of my waffle maker over and cook them on that. Cooks both sides at once--browns both sides at once--works better on fresh taters than on frozen ones--you just have to turn the heat down on the frozen ones..

Red Bull Breeder":2y8jygwg said:
Don't buy the frozen ones to start with.

I sell a ton and 1/2 of frozen HBG's a week. They work real good you just gotta cook em right! Most of my customers lay em out on the flat top with a butter flavored oil and cook em till they're crisp. They do turn em a lot!

I use a product called Simply Potatoes. They are cold but not frozen and come in three flavors. I cook them like GB using the flat side on my Panini grill. I use lots of butter and I'll wreck them a few times before finishing.

When I've used fresh potatoes I soak and rinse them in water several times the evening before and leave them in fresh water overnight. Squeeze as much of the water out that you can before using.

I bake a couple of potatoes in the mirco wave the night before and shred them and throw them in a cast iron skillet. Works good most ever time. Reckon the plastic bags from the grocery store might be handy at times. Just don't think they are as good.

Latest posts