OK, I won't complain about the cold...yet

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
I buy a lot of newspapers and I throw them in an old wooden firewood box until I carry them to the dumpster.
Yesterday I pulled a few out to start a fire in the stove. The headline, from August 12, tells me we are about to set a record for 90 degree days.
27 here this am. 31 for the high.

Supposed to get down into the 30s overnight, and then a high of 70 something tomorrow.

Just think how cold it would be if it wasn't for global warming.......

Yesterday was 78 here. About 70 now, but going to be dipping down into the 30's tonight.......

I don't know how you folks in cold country survive. My bones couldn't stand that cold all winter long.

grannysoo":5kk4orl7 said:
Yesterday was 78 here. About 70 now, but going to be dipping down into the 30's tonight.......

I don't know how you folks in cold country survive. My bones couldn't stand that cold all winter long.

It's something you get used to when born in cold Countries. But I still hate the cold.

~

2 inches of frozen rain and 10 inches of snow have fallen so far, more on the way and its gonna be around 19 degrees in a few minutes.

At least there is no wind.

Friday night there was so much wind it sounded like a locomotive and it blew down a big tree that pulled all the wires off of my house. No power for 14 hours and 2 days to saw all the wood and haul all the debris away before this storm came rolling in.

I just keep repeating over & over to myself;

5 months til grass, 5 months til grass.....

grannysoo":32p1oh1a said:

Well thank God for green grass Thinsulate and Carharts and insulated boots... Ya just gotta dress in layers.
Ice and snow alternating all weekend and windy as all get out today. Will be in the 20s rest of the week "they" say.

CowCop":qxov4v6e said:
I just keep repeating over & over to myself;
5 months til grass, 5 months til grass.....

I hear you there....

Even winter soltice is a celebration, and thats not so far off. Have to celebrate the small things like the car/truck/tractor starting. Like finding a flashlight that actually works! Like having jumper cables and a tow rope handy when you need 'em. Keep it simple ~ thats how we do it. :nod:

Angie, I wonder how many Southern folks know or even care about the Winter Solstice. Very important time of the year for me.
We celebrate the occasion. 8) 8) 452 hrs :clap: :clap:

mnmtranching":123czvyq said:
Angie, I wonder how many Southern folks know or even care about the Winter Solstice. Very important time of the year for me.

I love Winter Solstice! Is one of my favorite days of the year, seriously.

Was just thinking about something else I love ~ when the snow is over the drive way so you can;t tell exactly where it is and you can;t go too slow or you get stuck, so you do your best to remember where the edges drop off, where the curve is, then go like crazy and hope you were right. Then you make it to the other end ~ perfect! Ahhhh, is a white knuckled head rush!!! Like I said ~ keepin' it simple ;-)

In 1978 I lived in north west ohio,and that winter we got a blizzard 48 inches of snow and drifts up to 23 ft. High winds and the chill factor 45 below 0.I'm sure some of you buckeye's can probably remember if you are old enough. Took me until 1982 to get away from there. I'd like it if I never see another snowflake in my life.

Cal

mnmtranching":2f8g5fxn said:

Why don't you start a thread and tell us all about it.... :)

Had our first freeze this morning. Was starting to think it might not happen this year. I swear the grass was green as it had been all summer when we were out decorating the house. St. Augustine and Bermuda. It had stopped growing but it was still green. Kinda strange. Not a hard freeze but a freeze none the less.

Calman":3qgwffal said:
In 1978 I lived in north west ohio,and that winter we got a blizzard 48 inches of snow and drifts up to 23 ft. High winds and the chill factor 45 below 0.I'm sure some of you buckeye's can probably remember if you are old enough. Took me until 1982 to get away from there. I'd like it if I never see another snowflake in my life.

Cal

January '78. First, it rained a flood ahead of the cold front. Then came snow, a lot of snow.
We got around on the tractor, thankfully it had a cab. The front wheels would climb up on the ice and break through repeatedly as we went down the road. It was about April before everything melted.
Jan. '77 was bad, also. I think the average hi temp for the month was 0 (zero).
The Ohio River froze over! Froze to the extent that the big tows couldn't run.

angie":3c5oq1ag said:
Was just thinking about something else I love ~ when the snow is over the drive way so you can;t tell exactly where it is and you can;t go too slow or you get stuck, so you do your best to remember where the edges drop off, where the curve is, then go like crazy and hope you were right. Then you make it to the other end ~ perfect! Ahhhh, is a white knuckled head rush!!! Like I said ~ keepin' it simple ;-)

Sounds like my drive into town this A.M. except I had a larger road to deal with! :(

Heres another one for ya - Getting out of your vehicle - walking around it kicking the outside so all the gunk falls off. If you don't it hardens into something like concrete! ;-) Oh yea and my car used to be green - now its some shade of brownish white!

Lammie":3hw0niql said:
Had our first freeze this morning. Was starting to think it might not happen this year. I swear the grass was green as it had been all summer when we were out decorating the house. St. Augustine and Bermuda. It had stopped growing but it was still green. Kinda strange. Not a hard freeze but a freeze none the less.

They are saying its going to be up to 80 degrees on Friday. This whole year has been really strange. More water than we could use. People baling hay in November.

Latest posts