Oink oink Pigs!

Help Support CattleToday:

andybob":3pnpqf30 said:
John 250, when I worked for Smithfields, we had a lecture from the procurement manager supplying the mill at Rosehill NC, he explained their buying policies, including buying local feed quality corn and wheat ahead from corn belt farmers, even a few cents per ton makes a saving with the volume purchases. Imports are not always conventional grain sources, but they will buy surplus rice or even tapioca if the volume and price are right. There were many price cutting measures mentioned including re-cycling hog mortalities, using the rendered fat for an added energy source for the hogs, and the carcase meal used for the \butterball turkey rations.

Yes, they buy ahead when they think it is an advantage. If they are currently re-cycling hog proteins I think they are violating the law. Feeding at the lowest cost per pound of gain is the goal. If a hog can gain weight on tapioca and it can be imported at a good price, they'll whip up a recipe.

I don't have any pigs, but I sure enjoy watching other people's pigs. Something very irresistible about the little ones and how they gallop around. Here's a link to a blog I enjoyed -- probably not for the serious pork person, but they kept good records. (And those pigs sure enjoyed their hard-boiled eggs!) Click on the blue lines to go to the blog post about that item.

http://farmfolly.com/pig-journal-2010/

Gale here is one for you. I'm sure PETA would have something to say about the treatment of this boy. Looks miserable doesn't he? :lol2:

IMG_5053.jpg

cowman":171966s8 said:
Cowman, I'm paying 64 dollars for 300 lb drums custom mix.\

Hooknline,
If you dont mind me asking, what is in your custom mix.. Just curious I think we are trying to go a differnet route. We usually feep chop, and of course all of the scraps we can get. We also feed a lot of pumpkins.
Cowman.....30 years ago when we were in the biz the mix was 400# soybean meal to 1600# ground milo for weaners and shoats, then finished on 300# soybean meal and 1700# ground milo....

Slick5491, Made lots of money selling thru livestock auctions in the 70s and early 80s......livestock auctions for hogs and pigs that is....Today the "hogbarns" are haybarns....

These are the 3 current ones taken today after washing out the pen. Just a heads up though, they like to play tug of war with the hose. They're about 10-12 weeks old. Little white female is a bit runty

scaled.php

scaled.php

Jogeephus":323o8y5i said:
Gale here is one for you. I'm sure PETA would have something to say about the treatment of this boy. Looks miserable doesn't he? :lol2:

IMG_5053.jpg

OMG, would you look at that smile? Thanks for this picture!

I remember watching some Tamworth piglets, little tiny things, frolicking all over the place, but when their mama grunted a command, they all immediately went into their little house for dinner.

Glad you liked it Gale. He is living the dream for sure. He's grown a lot since that photo but he still somehow forces himself in his tub then wonders why he doesn't have water. I don't know about them being profitable but if nothing else, pigs are extremely interesting and they do seem to have their own language. I casterated my boars today and momma was cussing me pretty hard. I'll give her an extra helping a tortillas this afternoon and hopefullly she will forgive me.

Hook, I have pen envy now. I need to do some work on my setup. I think what I actually need is a load or two of concrete cause the shovel is getting tiresome.

I know all about shovels. That pen has about 5 yds in it, 2 of which I had to mix by hand. When we poured the back half of the barn we used the excess 3 in the pen. Then of course I had to finish it.

Awww...I love that picture! HOW CUTE! That is cuter than some kids I seen! LOL! Ooooh I want some pigs!

I cross a blue butt (for fat) with a hybrid cross. I'm shooting for more back fat than commercial hogs have.

What is the cheapest way to get pigs started and what is the cheapest way to feed them!? I am thinking I need a few pigs for Mr man that dog's killed my cows. ;) They smell really good, he love that smell every time he goes in and out of his house. =D He decided he isn't paying for my cows, and called the cops on us for going to his house to ask for our money. LOL! The cop thought he was crazy drunk. He was like okay so he called the cops cause he didn't pay ya'll so he called to tell on his self. And he was so drunk he couldn't hardly stand up. LOL! NICE WORK Buddy! When I come up with his name to court we go HI HO HI HO ITS OFF TO COURT WE GO! ;( Not my cup of tea, but when it comes down to it, I guess some times we all just gota put on our big boys and girls pants and get the job done. HECK YEA!

To start with just buy a few weaners and raise for slaughter, this will give you experience in pig rearing, and you can work out how it panns out financially for you. Look around for what is available in the way of waste food you can source, just check on what current laws are on feeding waste to pigs, things have changed since I lived in the USA. Here are some links to pictures I posted previously on the CT forum; viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54795&p=630483&hilit=pig+pictures#p630483

http://www.ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic ... g+pictures

http://www.ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic ... g+pictures

IMG_0085-2.jpg

middlewhite sows behind two strand electric wire.
IMG_0087-2.jpg

Weaner piglets behind sheep netting with single electric training wire.
IMG_0088-2.jpg

close up of training wire.
IMG_0089.jpg

Close up of adjustable insulators
IMG_0090.jpg

Store pigs behind two strand fence.
IMG_0084-2.jpg

Sow and litter behind three strand fence.
IMG_0083-2.jpg

Another view of the sow and litter.

andybob, that looks like some serious pork! Tell me about the red writing on their backs? Even the insulators look like pig noses, don't they? It appears you are really set up for this. Do the little ones not even try to go under the wire?

If I saw those white ones here I'd call them Yorkshires, and apparently y'all don't use the ear notching method of tracking your pigs.

Chevy":33lf9uj1 said:
What is the cheapest way to get pigs started and what is the cheapest way to feed them!? I am thinking I need a few pigs for Mr man that dog's killed my cows. ;) They smell really good, he love that smell every time he goes in and out of his house. =D He decided he isn't paying for my cows, and called the cops on us for going to his house to ask for our money. LOL! The cop thought he was crazy drunk. He was like okay so he called the cops cause he didn't pay ya'll so he called to tell on his self. And he was so drunk he couldn't hardly stand up. LOL! NICE WORK Buddy! When I come up with his name to court we go HI HO HI HO ITS OFF TO COURT WE GO! ;( Not my cup of tea, but when it comes down to it, I guess some times we all just gota put on our big boys and girls pants and get the job done. HECK YEA!

Everybody has said about everything I would say, but here is my experience anyway. I've never attempted to make money raising hogs, and don't see a way that would be profitable enough to warrant the aggrevation. We bought 4 weanlings this past summer, and fed them for the freezer, our own and family. The pork cost me $2.18 per pound. That includes all cost from purchase, thru feed, wormer, processing. It does not include the necessary infrastructure; hog panels, shelter, feeders, waterers and etc. That's some pretty expensive pork, but it taste much better, and has better texture than any store bought pork I've ever eaten. The quality assurance of the meat, and the kids participating in the entire process makes it a worthwhile endeavor. Don't plan on making any money. At best, if you can find family or neighbors that are willing to pay all expenses in exchange for your labor to feed, worm, pen, care, transport to butcher and etc, you can get your pork for free (well, no out of pocket expense. you'll still have your time/labor)

Thats real close to what it costs me too. Pennies close. I have three going to butcher in jan and then ill have an exact cost basis for this last batch

Back when I was farrowing them I sold the pig for a price and fed it out. The customer would pay for the pig, all feed and their own processing. Didn't get rich, but at least there was a little profit.

Nice looking bunch of pigs Andybob. I bet they made quite the racket as they talked to you while taking the pictures.

Latest posts