Oil prices to increase again.

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
I heard this morning that corrosion was found in the Alaskan pipeline and that production will be decreasing from that supply. I've also heard that we ( the USA) doesn't use the oil from the pipeline because the oil is so dirty that our refineries can't clean it up enough for us to use it. Japan gets that oil. Oil has already gone up $1.50 a barrel this morning on the global market. They said it will be $10.00 a barrel higher by the end of the week. They've got us by the short hair again. They will look for any reason to stick it to us again. There just ain't no quick fix for this mess we're in. 6 years ago I could fill up the daughters little sentra for $9.75. I filled it up for her yesterday for $30.00. And they wonder if it will damage the economy.

Yep...things sure to get worse on the fuel situation!

Last Friday here regular unleaded jumped .10 a gal to $3.09. Diesel jumped .23 a gal to $3.23.

I can't wait until next week... :mad:

Hello $100. pickup tank fill...! (Last week for 90% fill was $82. BEFORE last Friday's price increase).

just on the news
The White House will open the strategic supplies to help moderate the price increases.

Carlos D.":3aoa8k2e said:
ya-- and in canada they tell us inflation is only 2-3 % There sure not useing the same numbers I am

Same story here in the states.. The problem is that they exclude food and energy in their figures, and they weight the calculations such that big gainers count less and big losers count more. Real inflation is running close to 10% in the US and I don't care what anybody says..

The US Federal reserve meets tomorrow, and I'd bet my right arm that they'll pause their rate hike campaign.. Cheap credit = more credit = more money in circulation = more price inflation. If prices keep outpacing salaries, we'll be globally competitive with China in no time flat..

Methinks that's the ultimate goal, in fact...

I won't say anymore though, as I've gotten yelled at before as a result of expressing such silly conspiracy theories.. :lol: I guess we'll just wait and see.

dj":fmrsv64k said:
just on the news
The White House will open the strategic supplies to help moderate the price increases.

I thought they'd already done that.

Alice

Alice":16zfy4uv said:
dj":16zfy4uv said:
just on the news

I thought they'd already done that.

Alice

Maybe I just caught a short blip. Pipeline closing, Bush admin and opening the strategic reserves was really about all I heard.
It might have been yesterdays news though.

The oil from that pipeline also comes here to England, and our prices have gone up it is £1. a litre about £10.00 a gallon which would bring that to about $17.+, my maths is not that good in conversion from litre to gallons and £ -$, but that is what I have been told.

chrisy":8jzy6arf said:
The oil from that pipeline also comes here to England, and our prices have gone up it is £1. a litre about £10.00 a gallon which would bring that to about $17.+, my maths is not that good in conversion from litre to gallons and £ -$, but that is what I have been told.

Just out of curiosity, what else will £10.00 buy? For instance, how much milk or how many eggs, etc.? Would £10.00 buy a music CD or a DVD?

cmjust0":111bddxg said:
chrisy":111bddxg said:

Just out of curiosity, what else will £10.00 buy? For instance, how much milk or how many eggs, etc.? Would £10.00 buy a music CD or a DVD?

a decent CD/DVD would set you back about £15 - £20,that would be $28.61 - $38.15.. 4 pint carton of milk would be £1.74, so 5 cartons of milk would be £8.70 with £1.30 change. eggs are £1.96 a dozen so 5 doz would be £9.80 with 20p change. you could buy about 10 loaves of bread and 4lb of butter. the cost of living here is quite high one of the highest in the world, A pair of Levi jeans would be £50. - £60 that is about $95.48 - $114.46. at todays exchange rate.
Our basic wage is around £385 a week, that would be $734.46.
is that a big difference.

chrisy":1y3g27ng said:
cmjust0":1y3g27ng said:
chrisy":1y3g27ng said:

a decent CD/DVD would set you back about £15 - £20,that would be $28.61 - $38.15.. 4 pint carton of milk would be £1.74, so 5 cartons of milk would be £8.70 with £1.30 change. eggs are £1.96 a dozen so 5 doz would be £9.80 with 20p change. you could buy about 10 loaves of bread and 4lb of butter. the cost of living here is quite high one of the highest in the world, A pair of Levi jeans would be £50. - £60 that is about $95.48 - $114.46. at todays exchange rate.

Basic Wage? Is that similar to our "minimum wage"?
US has a minimum wage of $5.15/hr. If you worked 40 hr at that, you'd make $206. That would buy 65 gal of regular gas @ $3.15/gal (my local price today).

Not many people work for minimum wage, except flippin' burgers for Mickey D.

john250":1m90hicu said:

around here even mickey pays 7.50-8.00
I think the cheapest wage I've seen posted is $6.75.

From what I've seen, it isn't just reflected in the pump price for gas...when you send a package UPS or Fed-Ex, be ready for 'sticker shock'. A 1# box from VA to CA (UPS next day air saver is about $38, more than four times the cost of the lab test)...outrageous!

john250":fymcisa5 said:
chrisy":fymcisa5 said:
cmjust0":fymcisa5 said:
chrisy":fymcisa5 said:

Basic Wage? Is that similar to our "minimum wage"?
US has a minimum wage of $5.15/hr. If you worked 40 hr at that, you'd make $206. That would buy 65 gal of regular gas @ $3.15/gal (my local price today).

exactly the same...minimum wage per hour here is £5.35 which would be $10.20, not many people are on the mimimum wage though, it is places like McDonalds and fast food chains.

chrisy":2c2iipnr said:

A new release CD/DVD here will run about $15-20US.. A half gallon of milk is probably right about $1.75 here, at full price.. Eggs can always be had for $1/doz, so we've got you there :lol: .. Store-brand bread can be had for $1/loaf, but brand-name is about $2.. Dunno the price of butter, but $2.50/lb doesn't sound out of the question. Levis -- *real* Levis, not their crappy "Levi Strauss Signature" line of imported JUNK -- would easily cost $40-50 here..

Assuming a 40 hour work week at £385 a week, it looks like you guys make about £9.60/hr..

Like you've seen some of the others here post, the 'basic' wage in the US probably runs somewhere around $7.50-8.00. What I mean is, you can get $7.50/hr with almost no skills and be up to $8 in no time. But, when you figure that $'s and £'s seem to run lockstep, 1:1, when it comes to retail prices, it would appear that our cost of living is higher here.. Well, except for the price of fuel..

Then again, you guys typically don't have to travel nearly as far as we do.. For instance, my round trip to work is about 62 miles -- 100 kilometers. :eek:

chrisy":303z96mg said:

If your Basic wage is $734.46 and most people make more than this then I would say you guys are not worse off than Americans who make minimum wage which would be $206.00 per week.

In my county, or even 4 state area $734.00 per week would be considered rich folk (now in parts of the U.S. this is not the case). If you made $734.00 in my county you would live in the nice house on top of the hill (if we had hills in KS).

we looked at house prices when we were over in May, and our 3 bedroomed house here in England would have bought us, at least a 6 bedroom one in Louisiana, but it would be the Medical Insurance that would kill us. We pay a contribution into the National Health system but we have our own Private Medical health care but it is not on the scale of yours. and everyone on the NHS gets the same care if they are on a high or low wage. We were suprised how much the cost of living is in comparison, to ours, we thought it would be much higher and the wages higher, but that does not seem to be the case. We have longer Vaccation time from work as well, I get 7 weeks paid holiday my Husband has the average 4 weeks, in his old job it was 6 weeks, and my Daughter gets what I used to get (she is a teacher) 13 weeks.

aplusmnt":1moo48s0 said:
If your Basic wage is $734.46 and most people make more than this then I would say you guys are not worse off than Americans who make minimum wage which would be $206.00 per week.

Their basic wage looks more to me like $385/week, when you look at the purchasing power.. All the retail prices she posted in £'s look exactly like our retail prices in $'s -- even though the $ trades nearly 2:1 to the £..

What really sucks is that if you took $2000 there on vacation, it would trade for about £1000 and your purchasing power would literally be cut in half.

Doesn't make much sense...

I get 8hrs a month vacation, and I've got well over 100 hours banked right now.. Haven't taken more than two weekdays off in a row since 2001.

I take a day here and a day there, but if I took a week off and came back I'd be totally lost when I got here.

And to think that I make half what my British counterpart would.... :mad: :lol:

Latest posts