Oil but this time spraying oil

Help Support CattleToday:

tytower

Reaction score
I just bought a litre of spraying oil for $27 AUD -bout a Quart for $22 US

Says it is emulsifiable oil so its soluble in water right?

Says its vegetable oil but does not say what type.
Anybody know whats in it? and can you make it yourself?

yeah crop oil is an unspecified vegetable oil. Probably a mixture of unsold veggie oils that have gone rancid or were undesirable for sale as food grade oil in the stores for whatever reason.

Yep the emulsifiable means that it's mixed with strong detergents that allow it to mix with water. The detergent breaks it up and allows it to mix with the water, as well as reducing the surface tension of the water and making the water 'wetter' or spread out more on the leaves of what you're spraying instead of beading up or staying in small droplets. That makes the chemical more effective. The veggie oil makes it stick to and penetrate into the leaf tissue making the chemical more effective as well. Plus, if you're spraying stuff like, say, nutsedge, which has a very waxy layer on the leaves and stems, the veggie oil and detergents help to break down that waxy layer and all the water to spread out more, and keep the chemical stuck to the leaves and allow it more time and easier penetration into the plants. We used to put about a pint of dishwashing detergent in our cotton picker spindle water tank to let the water spread on the spindles better and keep the plant sap cleaned off.

Crop oil isn't cheap but for the job it does and the amounts you use it's cheap enough. Generally speaking you use a little less chemical with crop oil than what you'd use without it and get way better results, so you're saving money on high-dollar chems to buy cheaper crop oil, which is usually a toss up. Don't think I'd bother trying to 'make' it since you'd be risking your chemical not working well if at all and chems are too high relative to the price of the crop oil to risk it. Besides they usually throw in a percentage of anti-foam agents and other stuff to make it all compatible and keep it all in suspension.

Good luck! OL JR :)

I use dish detergent and it seems to works just as well with my 2-4-D spraying. I put 8 oz to a 25 gal tank.

I had a feed store owner tell me to use it verses buying something more expensive.

When I was growing up that is what we did too. The chemical companies caught on and made the new herbicides so that soap will break them down and not be as affective.

Jogeephus":1n4ofle5 said:
I've sometimes used peanut oil when spraying Poast or Fusilade.

Being nosy but what do you spray Poast and Fusilade on?? Those roast all grasses but leave broadleafs untouched IIRC... We used Poast on a field ate up with johsongrass one year. Did a bang up job but pricey... MSMA would kick it in the pants pretty well for a lot less money:)

Haven't read the label in years but I thought Poast and Fusilade would kill pretty much every grass out there?? OL JR :)

I use it to kill grasses in longleaf pine plantations, garden, row crops as well as in the flower beds for Her Sweetness.

cowtrek":1j87imvs said:
Jogeephus":1j87imvs said:
I've sometimes used peanut oil when spraying Poast or Fusilade.

Being nosy but what do you spray Poast and Fusilade on?? Those roast all grasses but leave broadleafs untouched IIRC... We used Poast on a field ate up with johsongrass one year. Did a bang up job but pricey... MSMA would kick it in the pants pretty well for a lot less money:)

Haven't read the label in years but I thought Poast and Fusilade would kill pretty much every grass out there?? OL JR :)

Might want to rethink using MSMA on forage or hay. Search the site for MSMA concerning restrictions on it's use.

Jogeephus":1g780g99 said:
I use it to kill grasses in longleaf pine plantations, garden, row crops as well as in the flower beds for Her Sweetness.

Oh Ok that makes good sense... I thought you were using it in pastures or hay meadows or something... didn't see how that was possible unless in alfalfa or something and trying to eliminate grasses. Question: Does Poast or Fusilade kill bermudagrass?? Just wondering if that would be a 'cheaper' way to burn out common ahead of sprigging instead of a *gallon* of Roundup??

For dun, never said I used MSMA in pastures... well aware of the label restrictions on it... I used to use it on cotton when I had the cotton growing sickness before I got better. Well aware of the label restrictions on pasture use. Thanks anyway! OL JR :)

Question: Does Poast or Fusilade kill bermudagrass?? Just wondering if that would be a 'cheaper' way to burn out common ahead of sprigging instead of a *gallon* of Roundup??

Yes Poast does kill bermuda.

But it's not cheaper than some of the generic glyphosate products out there now.

There are even some Poast ready corn varieties out there.

MikeC":1l0unh45 said:
Question: Does Poast or Fusilade kill bermudagrass?? Just wondering if that would be a 'cheaper' way to burn out common ahead of sprigging instead of a *gallon* of Roundup??

Yes Poast does kill bermuda.

But it's not cheaper than some of the generic glyphosate products out there now.

There are even some Poast ready corn varieties out there.

Mike's right. We use it as an over the top spray to kill the grass. Takes to treatments to do a good job also so its doubly expensive. Roundup can be used in some cases but the allowable rate is so low it just doesn't do the job.

Can't beat Roundup for pre-sprigging treatment. But you might want to try adding some ammonium sulfate and some more surfactant to the mix and see if this doesn't do a better job than glyphosphate alone.

Latest posts