Off the farm occupations

Help Support CattleToday:

I work for the state, raising trout at a fish hatchery. In addition to 60-some head of cattle, close to 40 sheep, and chickens, and bees, and milk goats, and pigs---I pretty much feed stuff all day long and after dark most of the time.

I am a high school teacher/coach. World History and football/baseball. My wife also teaches and coaches. Baby girl on the way!

G&L Cattle":1ot8p8ls said:
Ministers, Musicians, Farmers

JESUS SAVES

G&L

I can relate to that. I play lead guitar in the little home church where I was raised when Dad wasn't evangelizing, and where I am now the Youth Leader.

80% Farmer, Cattle, a few Llamas, and a small trout farm. None of which pays the bills, they usually make the bills.

I pick up work with the USFS and NC FS when ever the call comes in a wildland firefighter, work as a part time Wildlife control agent for the game comission, again, when a call comes in........none of which pay much. 15%

Rep. for a livestock pharmicutical and medical supply company....when some one needs something....again.... not much income. 5%.

If it were not for the early retirement income I get form being a former civil servant (yes I was a servant) I would be starving..........but aint life great anyway?

Military at first, now doing design work on electronics in the automotive industry. When not at work, helping my wife raise a very active 14 & 16 year old. The farm gets the rest of my time and abilities, carpenter, electrician, plumber, roofer, mechanic, whatever it takes to keep the place running, cows happy and have an endless supply of stuff to do. :)

We have what I call a calve to finish cattle operation and a farrow to finish hog operation. I cook for the local school system 34 hrs a week. Hubby does snow removal for the state during winter. We own a dirt business with 2 dozers, an excavator, and paperwork. In the past I have waitressed and worked at a grocery store. I did a 5 yr stint with the Soil Conservation Service laying out and designing terraces, waterways, and the like. Hubby did a few years of factory work. We also did some custom hog feeding before everyone decided they didn't want you to have your own hogs on the same place as theirs.

Joined the Navy to get off the horse ranch in Texas at 17. After 26 years in special warfare, retired. Went to work as Deputy Sheriff in Arizona and retired from that also. Packed up wife and dogs and bought acreage in Texas and am in the process of putting up fences, clearing land, etc., and locating some horse breeding stock. Went full circle. Funny...you just don't realize how good life is when you are young and believe the grass is always greener elsewhere. One of my sons is a machinist and another is a cabinet maker. Just love to watch them work. They teach me so much.

Mostly farm 800+ acres. Almost 300 hd. of cows. Own a repair shop, vehicles, and a few JD repair jobs. My oldest son works in the shop. Youngest is going to culinary school. Mrs. worked a factory job till 2 years ago. Now she is working on starting a zoo here. Jersey, halter broke calves, show stock, that doesn't get shown, dogs, cats, a baby pig, few chickens and ducks, and she is now talking a few sheep to eat the weeds in the tree strips to cut down on her mowing time. Warded off the goats last year ....thankfully. Her youngest daughter graduates next year. I keep telling her we should leave for warmer climate after that, but she says she'll miss the cows. May have to see how long before she misses me when I call in December from Brownsville, TX! Can't vacation for more than 2 days or she's calling home telling her daughter to take the phone to the lot so she can say hi to her fav's ! :roll:

my wife and i own a bar and resort which she runs and i get to do the repairs on, i also am a stone mason for the last 33 years.

I'm a firefighter\EMT. Drive a dump truck part-time. Do some AI work for the neighbors. Haul a few cows and try to keep my cattle operation going.

I'm a flight attendant for a major U.S. carrier- just domestic so that allows my schedule to be super flexible so I can feed my cow addiction. I was able to take the whole month of Feb. off to be home for calving-(sure is nice to sleep through the night again). My hubby is a facilities mgr - so I do most of the work, unless I can arrange to do stuff on weekends. As you know, that doesn't usually work w/ the cows schedule.

Locomotive Engineer/ retired after 20 yrs.+ Always have been a cow/calf man.Can't sit still,44 yrs. old, Feed and Farm Supply business.Also run a geriatric daycare, listening to lot's of hot air down at the store, where there are at least a dozen stories being told at any given time and 10 pots of coffee consumed every A.M. I'm kind of Jerry Springer without the paycheck....keeping them all under control. :lol:

Maintenance Electrician for one of the largest manufacturing companys in the world. Plant here has something like 1500 people. E.M.T. volunteer with the local rescue squad on the side.

Latest posts