Off the farm occupations

Help Support CattleToday:

Other than the ranch happenings. On the ranch guest stay, a once a month county committee member, and as the opportunities arise -horse training, iron and rustic wood work, heavy equipment and house construction, fence construction, use to do a little logging. Pretty much all that is done on the ranch anyway, to help make ends meet.

Chuck does it help to say that I almost went for my CDL ata one time? ;-) I supose not.

Chuckie ,
I still have my class "B"CDL , From my wireline truck driving days. ( OILFIELD).
But I don't think I'm going to renew next time. The last time I got a speeding ticket, I tried to opt for the defensive driving course. I was told that there is a new law that if you have a CDL you can not take a defensive driving course :mad:
I don't know if this is just Texas , or nationwide.

My dad was a truck driver for 30+ years. Hauled electric fence posts...so guess what we used for lots and lots of temporary & movable fences?!! :D We had to listen to Polka blasting out of the truck when dad was home. Think when I was a teenager that was more torture than the actual work! :lol:
I am a Part time VERY rural mail carrier (180 miles plus 6 days a week)...but I'm more full-time than part time anymore.

Wow Jay, I can really relate to that bit about the polka music. My folks loved it, and I absolutely hated it when I was much younger. But its funny how things work out --- over time polkas started to not bother me too much, and now one of my favorite cassette tapes is by the Shiner (Texas) Hobo Band -- all polka and similar music. But I'm still not giving up on all my Aerosmith, Moody Blues, etc. type music!

Hey Chuckie,

You need to put a smile at the end of your post. If it wasn't for the truck drivers, we wouldn't have all the things we need or want. I come from a family of drivers, and the best people I know are our company truck drivers. I hear the road stories when they come on site and am always amazed they haven't imprinted a semi grill in someone's trunk. I tell employees driving their personal cars around our trucks: "yield to tonnage." I have written poems about them, maybe I'll get brave enough one time to share one here.
Muldoon, I'll ask the drivers about the CDL vs. DDC here.

I guess the crying was for driving at night. But it has it's advantages too. All of my waking hours off of work, are daylight hours. I can relate to Jay a bit, having used to drive a UPS delivery (package car) for several years. It got to my ankles and knees, so I went to the tractor trailer division of the company. I traded off an aching body for trying to stay awake at night. Here in Tennessee, if you get a traffice violation, you can go to the school and it will remove the majority of the points against your license, depending on what the ticket was for. One guy was driving 65 in a work construction zone in Nashville, and it put a lot of points against his license. He went to the school and it removed most of the points. It is funny that drivers keep the radio on all the time, and it seems odd when it isn't on. I listen to talk radio. I broke down and bought an XM Radio, and I never run out of signal. The comedy channels will make you roll. It is pretty hard to drive with tears in your eyes from laughing. :lol:

Hi Muldoon,
I've talked to a couple of company drivers, and they don't know of any law in WA preventing them from taking the DDC for a ticket with CDL.

I am cattle foreman for VA DOC. We currently run 500 cows in southwest Va. I have two to five inmates assigned to me. It is different to take a person who is locked up and try to teach them a thing or two, specially when most of them have never did any work or are from a city and never been around any cattle. When i was younger i wanted to be an ag teacher, my current job to me is kind of like that only alittle different. This has been a very interesting topic. After farming for the state, I also have my own herd of PB Simmentals on a recently purchased farm, that we are trying to get settled in on.

MULDOON":304w9kb0 said:
It might just be a Texas thing , Or the little "Speedtrap Town" South of Dallas is greedy and wants their money :shock:

Would this town be Rice TX?

Not really an off the farm occupation since I don't have the farm yet, just a few acres for the horses, but I've been a firefighter/paramedic for 26+ years. Gonna retire sometime between this Dec. and Jan '07.

I'm a production operator on an offshore platform in the Gulf of Mexico.
I work seven days offshore and I have seven off at home. My wife manages a grocery store and takes care of our two kids, small herd, one dog, and two horses while I'm gone. I give her a break with all but the store when I get back.

I am a late night worker myself part time. I go to school full time and work 2 part time jobs. I work as a dispatcher at the local police department and i make coffee/espresso's in the mornings 5 days a week. i'm also a single mother, so somewhere in this mess my kid and i do stuff together. we have a coupla horses and the cows were sold off during the drought we had here in colorado a coupla years ago.

Chuckie, To supplement my ranch part of my business is hauling cattle up and down the road in a 99 379extended hood Peterbilt. I don't consider myself a truck driver though. I also shoe a few horses and do some day work for a couple of guys who run cattle on old coal mine strip ground. :cboy: