Help Support CattleToday:

What is your direction?

• 1. buying

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • 2. selling

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm curious where y'all are on this topic. Prices are getting interesting. I sold a couple of 480# steers for 1.82/lb yesterday. At an auction a little off the market leaders circuit. Overall, 25 head, mostly heavy heifers, averaged a smidge shy of 1000 per each. So I'm selling the heifers because it is time to take in some $. I'd like to keep them all. I only kept enough to keep the herd where it is with a 10-20% cull rate. It's a pretty good match for my grass/hay capability.

Not a bad opportunity if you assume near normal weather for a couple years.

I can't really vote john250.

I aint buying in. I aint selling out. I did sell down to 48 cows last year because of the drought. But, I don't intend on getting out by any means.

Your article mentions Livermore and a few places like that and says that development is eating up ranchland... Livermore is valley land and somewhere around 90%of the states beef cattle are raised on some degree of slope. We ranch on the stuff that can't be farmed, farm on the stuff that isn't lived on, and set growth limits on the city limits so that they don't eat our farms.
Honest to God ranch land here still sells for $350-500 per acre and the better the slope, the more cows you can run per acre. Alfalfa has been steep but with a little forethought and planning we can go almost without(I didn't feed a flake of hay this year beyond my horses who got some after a tough day). And the un-availability of lease ground is due directly to the high prices... Everyone's trying to jump in.

Don't get me wrong, farmland price is around $10,000 per acre and up and develpoment land is in the hundreds of thousands per acre... But that's not where the beef cattle are at. :D

I went to the link listed in this post. From what I can see in the pics, I understand why the guy is having issues staying in business. He is under utilizing the land he has and I see no signs of his trying to control his input costs. I do realize with his location that he may have a problem with lack of rain in the Summer but I do believe this is the peak for cool weather forage production for him. I see nothing! It appears he is a year round hay feeder with some supplemental pasture with his manner of operation. I bet he is doing what the other in the family has always done. Times have changed and the rise of input costs mandate a change also.

I'm increasing. I figure somebody needs to pay taxes cause everyone deserves a free cell phone. Glad I didn't listen to all then naysayers about retaining heifers.

rtn3cc":18dik6cr said:
prices are to good not to sale
thats alot of folks take on it,,,, i afraid getting out now, means ill never be able to get back in... even later.. my first calf of the season hit the ground yesterday.. and its still as anticipated as it ever was,, should have a couple more on the ground today

I did not vote either, it is going to 18 months before I can buy back in. And I will just as soon as I can, I am missing not having cows.

Probably shouldn't have voted....question skew in my opinion. I'm replacing some of what I was forced to sell so wouldn't be buying otherwise (except for replacing the usual yearly cull).....In 4 months I've gone from not being able to provide forage 27 off 360 acres to having an extra 200 acres of ankle to knee high grass. Picked up 12 young cows that are in dire need of some green grass. Looking to pick up some more at the right price. First goal is 50 - 60 head....Saw some 500 lb calves bring $2.05 :shock: yesterday....a definite change up in playing the game.

1982vett":1e3rgbv0 said:
Probably shouldn't have voted....question skew in my opinion.

How is the ? skewed.?
I appreciate all the responses so far.
I think usda numbers are politically skewed and I thought the direction of the market might be best determined by a simple yes/no question.

Sold out last March. Had nothing to do with me "knowing" a drought was coming. Just finally gave in and unloaded them and as it turned out it was the right thing to do. Bought 7 heifers since then and bought 4 pair off a neighbor last week because he was getting out and the price was right. Enough to at least allow me to keep my ag exemption on the place. Wish I had a hundred to sell. Been a long time since "ordinary" pairs were bring $2000 a pair.

Well on account I only have one option, I won't vote because in the last week I have done both and will continue to do both.

john250":36sg9n33 said:
1982vett":36sg9n33 said:
Probably shouldn't have voted....question skew in my opinion.

How is the ? skewed.?
I appreciate all the responses so far.
I think usda numbers are politically skewed and I thought the direction of the market might be best determined by a simple yes/no question.
Replacing.....wouldn't be buying if I hadn't had to sell over the past two to three years.....So wouldn't be buying or selling (other than the normal culling cycle)

1982vett":1ibs5emj said:
Probably shouldn't have voted....question skew in my opinion. I'm replacing some of what I was forced to sell so wouldn't be buying otherwise (except for replacing the usual yearly cull).....In 4 months I've gone from not being able to provide forage 27 off 360 acres to having an extra 200 acres of ankle to knee high grass. Picked up 12 young cows that are in dire need of some green grass. Looking to pick up some more at the right price. First goal is 50 - 60 head....Saw some 500 lb calves bring $2.05 :shock: yesterday....a definite change up in playing the game.

Vette you cutting any of this grass for hay?

circlew":z8zhx8sq said:
1982vett":z8zhx8sq said:

Vette you cutting any of this grass for hay?

:lol: not yet but it is on the agenda...I've seen a few patches cut last week. I'll get started soon.