odd bloat that doesn't fit the pattern

Help Support CattleToday:

cowmomma

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have searched this site but have a bloat that doesn't really fit the pattern. Thought someone out there might have dealt with this.

I have a young cow whose calf is about 6 months old. Checking cows one evening two weeks ago and she was bloated. She was the only one out of 25 individuals. But, she was grazing and moving comfortably so I left her till morning. We got her up and called the vet. He said to dry lot her. I did that feeding good hay. A few days later the bloat was down considerably. I was just toying with the idea of rotating out on grass for a couple hours a day when the next PM she was more bloated than ever. No grain, just good hay and water. The companion cow I have with her is fine. I figured the next AM I'd have the vet out but went out at dawn to check her and she was quite a bit better.

So, I got a magnet and put down her. She has slowly but surely gone down and seems to be staying down. But, with the bloat gone it is obvious she is quite thin. I have just used a pour on wormer and am going to put her in a paddock that is pretty grazed down and continue with the hay and observation.

What is up with her and should I ship her? Thanks!

I would have said she was a "frothy bloat" candidate while on pasture......but having had the condition re-occur on dry lot....maybe she's a chronic bloater? No legume's in the dry hay you were feeding ?

How well do you know the history of this cow?

We have had her 2+ years with no bloat problem before. We have few legumes in the pasture and the cows were on the pasture as it greened up...so if it was the greening pasture it seems it should have been earlier.

The hay is the same we fed all winther without incident. Cut on our place, fescue, orchard grass mostly.

Thanks for your reply!

Because she is the only animal in the pasture that bloated, coupled with the bloat has gone down and seems to staying down since you put a magnet down her, I'm wondering if she didn't pick up some sort of metal object in the pasture. That would sure cause gastritis and the spring grass might have tipped her over into bloating.

Was this her first turn out this spring?
Some will bloat on the first trip to the pasture especially if the grass is rich and is still wet with dew. We always wait until evening for the first trip to spring pasture.
Just my two bits worth...DMc

hi, this is just my two cents,
we had a cow a few years back. She had her first calf and started to go down hill after bloating a couple of times. she ended up really thin for about a couple of months. A couple of months after this problem began we found some half chewed partially digested plastic twine in her pen. Not saying that was the problem but it was a definite possibility becasue she started to put on weight and got healthy in smart order.
A few years later she developed a same problem but got better more quickly. After a bit of research we found out cattle are sensitive to a thistle of some kind and in the bale my husband had fed the day before there was quite a bit thistle in it.

Not saying this is your problem just my opinion.

Just a side note, my husband had aready quit using plastic twine becauset the twine seemed to be everywhere. You could never completely get it all off the bale when the bale was covered in snow and ice.
Sisal cost more but for us it has saved us more in the long run. JMO

Thank you all for your input. She has been out in a paddock that doesn't have alot of lush grass for about 5 days now. She has been head down and eating! No more bloat. I will keep a good eye on her. And I have been combing the fields picking up plastic twine! She doesn't look as gaunt to me but the is probably wishful thinking...I doubt she has really gained that fast! Thanks again!

Latest posts