OCC Zodiac?

Help Support CattleToday:

We saw the bull in the pasture servicing cows, he was really good. I have photos of him somewhere possibly on a CT thread it was three or four years ago.
Are there are sons in AI you would consider or have used ? Sirebuyer has a son Zodiac x Paxton. Other than that I haven't found any Zodiac sons.

What bull are you referring to? There may be more, but I looked on the Internet and found two Zodiac bulls.
OCC Zodiac 655Z and OCC Zodiac 310G

Based on the numbers for 655Z, his progeny are born small and stay small. That's why they are very feed efficient. The description says he makes beautiful females, but the milk EPD is only 12. No, thank you.

310G does not appear to be registered Angus. He is a product of the Angus II Bull program at Ohlde Cattle Company. 310G is said to contain power and performance because his progeny are born small and grow. Like what people call a curve bender bull. A Fleshing score of 8 sounds good, but I don't know what that entails. The Yearling score of 108 is very good in a grass finish program, but not so much in a grain finish program.

>>And why does OCC refuses to sell straws from him ?<<
Lot of places have a straws available for a group of bulls, but not every bull.
https://www.sirebuyer.com/sires/o-c-c-do-it-all-656d/. There are only a few bulls out there.

I visited the link for OCC Do It All 656D. The EPDs have the percentile rank across the bottom. All the 95%'s mean this bull has plenty of room for improvement.

Do It All's weaning weight EPD is 35. The weaning weight EPD for Zodiac 310G is 38. Therefore, calves from 310G would grow more.

Hmm. Not sure I recall many, if any, knocks on OCC cattle being meted out here on CT.
PCC...yeah, even though he used to have quite a bit of Ohlde influence in his herd.

Certainly a solid nugget. Is it just the angle of photo or does he lack length? In his condition he wouldn't last long here but we have some rough ground to cover in places.
I'm sure his lack of length "look"is due too his depth ..OCC bulls are massive..

When I dabbled in AI'ing some of our commercial herd I debated using OCC genetics but always decided against it based on their extreme low performance for growth EPDs. Most of their sires that I looked at were in the bottom 10-15% for WW, YW, MILK, etc. I wish I could see some real world data for how their calves perform in regards to growth and compared to other sire's calves with growth EPD's that were moderate or high. The OCC bulls and cows look great when they're mature, but I need calves to grow well in their first 9-12 months. I also can't afford to be docked for short calves too, and that may be another concern with OCC.

Some years ago, an up and coming Angus program in the eastern part of the state used OCC Emblazon pretty heavy in preparing for their first production sale. The calves on the ground looked good, but had no doubt been pushed along some. I've heard a lot of differing views on OCC cattle from they were great to they lacked performance. Some were also negative on the disposition of Emblazon progeny.
The source that I bought several Angus bulls from had a few ET calves by OCC Missing Link, after hearing some of the before mentioned comments I told them I wasn't interested in those calves and selected 2 sons of SAV Bismarck. They told me that they really liked the Missing Link calves and that they usually were in the top of their contemporary groups. I ended up and got a Missing Link son as well. He was a little shorter than the other two but long and pretty well made. My main goal was for heifer bulls for mainly heifers I would sell as bred so I did not get to see many calves out of that bull. I did have a registered cow that had a bull calf by him, he was a thick stout calf, but his disposition was such that the day he was weaned he was taken to the stockyards and sold as a feeder.
Had he been calm or gave the impression that he would settle down I would have kept him as a bull prospect.

According to the OCC website, they believe in the 5-600 pound calf at weaning off of low maintenance cows. Any bigger, the cow has to have to have too much maintenance.

The OCC cows I looked at were all fleshed good, all the calves looked good. However, the owner did say that you had to watch the older calves, "the cows would take care of themselves and sometimes run out of milk." I strive for low maintenance cows, but they do have to get the calf where it needs to be. Granted, this was a small sampling of the thousands out there, but it was enough to convince me to pass, at least on these.

According to the OCC website, they believe in the 5-600 pound calf at weaning off of low maintenance cows. Any bigger, the cow has to have to have too much maintenance.

The OCC cows I looked at were all fleshed good, all the calves looked good. However, the owner did say that you had to watch the older calves, "the cows would take care of themselves and sometimes run out of milk." I strive for low maintenance cows, but they do have to get the calf where it needs to be. Granted, this was a small sampling of the thousands out there, but it was enough to convince me to pass, at least on these.
Good post, i myself am not big into epds, more into medium easy doing nicely muscled cattle. I can see the attraction to what occ are aiming at.

Where on Ohlde's website was this stated?