Which OCC bull to use A-I

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I like the looks of the OCC bulls and cows that I have seen posted on here. I guess I could use Mac's 916'S bull but didn't know if I would be better using something else for ease of sale.

Here is what I am going to do. I had thought about buying some older trader cows (angus) and breed them to one of my herf bulls,but I have been thinking I need to probably get rid of about 6 head this next fall.
So instead of buying a black bull to put with my herf cows. I thought I would A-I these and follow with my herf bull. I also thought if I use a popular bull they would sell better? Any thoughts?

I could use the 878 bull that everyone in the angus breed thinks is so hot but I just dont want something in the tank that I wouldn't want to use myself. I like Mac's 916'S bull but didnt know if it would hurt the sale of the cows enough to matter? Hard to tell on that part I know.

Not everyone like the 878 bull, at least 1 - me - doesn't use him. I have some really nice OGL Battlecry grand daughters. Never heard of Mac's 915's bull. Since your hereford cows probably have the RE I'd use an Angus bull with marbling ability . Just a thought.
Valerie

The Missing Link bull is pretty popular right now and I have seen quite a few of the calves and like them pretty well.

Prototype will really beef them up on the first cross...

Mitchell's are very good and the semen is only $15

The Kanga bull is good.

I like the Moderator offspring as well... Only $15

We AI'd several to Linebred... $15

Hope this helps a little..

I'm going to just throw a pitch out there for Mac's bull. Saying you have cows bred to OCC genetics is the only ticket it really takes to have a marketable animal. The guys looking for those genetics don't tend to be particular as to whether your using semen from Tim or not. They tend to just want to know there is an OCC in front of the bull's name.

Thanks Jake

I would like to add, that with any of those, I wouldn't worry about calving ease at all.

We AI'd to Homer, Linebred, Mitchell and Moderator this year.

I have a new bull, he is a Eureka out of the 752L cow in the pipeline that we bought this summer and Tim kept a half semen interest on him. I will get a few calves by him next spring. I think that he is going to be called OCC Whup Ass... :) Had to have a W name... :)

What do you mean by "ease of sale"? Do you mean procuring the semen or selling the calves?

I've considered buying semen from 916 as well, but actually getting down there (as if Indiana is a huge trek from MI) has been my challenge time wise where as ohlde or other OCC suppliers ship or stop by.

Kmac - what are the frame scores on those bulls you mentioned?

angus9259":2fmoc1of said:
What do you mean by "ease of sale"? Do you mean procuring the semen or selling the calves?

I've considered buying semen from 916 as well, but actually getting down there (as if Indiana is a huge trek from MI) has been my challenge time wise where as ohlde or other OCC suppliers ship or stop by.

So does KMac.(ship)

I looked at the OCC herd in the winter of 2009. The calves that stood out to me were the Prototype calves. Long and full of muscle. For my money they were the best there by far.

AX-":241sr7x6 said:
I looked at the OCC herd in the winter of 2009. The calves that stood out to me were the Prototype calves. Long and full of muscle. For my money they were the best there by far.

Prototype's calves do look very cool,but I wonder if he would be the best OCC choice to make cows.

EAT BEEF":24c8jmjg said:
AX-":24c8jmjg said:

Prototype's calves do look very cool,but I wonder if he would be the best OCC choice to make cows.

Why?

angus9259":zmmjq86q said:

"Whup Ass" is a low 5

916S is a 4

Normie is a 5

Interglobe where I have the semen stored ships...

angus9259":3kb8ysmh said:
EAT BEEF":3kb8ysmh said:
AX-":3kb8ysmh said:

Why?

The prototype heifers look like pretty typical OCC heifers to me. I think he hangs alot of muscle on the males, the females are pretty typical. They are a little more coarse. Not quite as pretty as a Missing link or what I get from my bull.

angus9259":1n4lmwis said:
EAT BEEF":1n4lmwis said:
AX-":1n4lmwis said:

Why?

You may think I'm nuts,but I think he is almost more of a terminal type bull.Just a little much for me from the calves I have seen.I guess it might depend on your goals and cows your breeding him to.

We have a prototype heifer due the first of March I'll let you know my opinion then. But the females I have seen at tim's are very good

Jake- or anyone else-- Have you seen calves sired by OCC Prestige 672P?

He has an interesting pedigree- tracing back to a lot of maternal genetics...He is a paternal brother to OCC Missing Link 830N and a direct son of OCC Dixie Erica 816B who is the full sister to OCC Emblazon 854E- and traces back twice to Emblazons dam- Dixie Erica of C H 1019....

My son bought a Prestige daughter W C R Katherines Lass 017X # 16769667 out of a Shoshone Felix 6310 sired cow at the Whitney Creek sale this year-- and so far I like what I see...She fits in well with the type of calves we have been raising ourselves..
Just curious if anyone else had any experience with Prestige..

angus9259":rjb2z8lf said:
What do you mean a little much? What frame have they been? Muscling?

A little to much like a ground sow(fat on the back and not on the calf) IMO. Frame would be reduced on most mainstream angus cows I guess. It was really more of a question on my part as I have never raised a calf out of him , just looked at calves a few places and thats the opinion I have.

I have seen the bull and several progeny. He is a good bull but in my opinion isn't one of the best available at OCC.

Latest posts