OCC Legend 916S

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":wvzsdem1 said:
Hard to argue with that position so I won't. ;-)

Isn't that what I just said. I didn't want to argue. You ARE entitled to your opinion. I just don't happen to agree with it.[/quote]

Then we agree to disagree, making us qualified to run for office. Have a good evening 3way. :tiphat:

Hey Purecountry: How are things in the great white North? Don't know the rules for your breeds on white, but in Angus, his white is fine. Some of the better cows I have and have seen at others have some white on the udder or belly. They say that Angus from the start have had a little white. I have never given it a second thought. He does what I like and need. No pulling calves, good growth and I like the look of his offspring. He is also a good bull to work with. Not aggressive in any way, has a flight zone of about 10 feet and moves away when you approach. If the cost for that is a little legal white, then I guess I will put up with it. :)

Whatever works for ya. Glad your happy with him. I know his white falls under the acceptable terms/conditions of both Canadian and American Angus Assoc. guidelines, my comments were just based on my personal opinion, nothing more. And yes, Angus and other breeds had alot more white than they do now. I've seen old herd books with Angus and Galloway packing alot more white than your bull, but that's another can of worms. ;-)

Have a good one.

if i was a purebred breeder with 20 to 30 bulls like him and he was the only one with that much white... i """MIGHT"" cut him, but no way would i casterate one that good,, he@# theres thousands of solid black dinks that make it too far

purecountry":3iexsyfm said:
3waycross":3iexsyfm said:
Hard to argue with that position so I won't. ;-)

Isn't that what I just said. I didn't want to argue. You ARE entitled to your opinion. I just don't happen to agree with it.

Then we agree to disagree, making us qualified to run for office. Have a good evening 3way. :tiphat:[/quote]

Yall sound like politicians.

I love the looks of your bull. However in may part of the country he's a bit to small. Anything under a 6 just will not cut it when selling seed stock. I can see that he would be great for terminal uses. Especially on top of European crosses. He is very powerful looking, great muscle expression and structure. By the bloodline and his look and your statements he's an easy keeper which is pricless in these times.

looks to me like with that much muscle and thickness in a smaller frame would work about anywhere.... great in the good area's.............. and good in the bad

He is real close to a 5 to tell you the truth, I have not measured him, I am guessing a high 4 low 5. We have a bunch of thick sons out of larger framed good uddered cows. Hint Hint. Also we are collecting him the first week of November. I need some people to help me prove him out, if interested pm me.

KMacGinley":vxfiz4vx said:
He is real close to a 5 to tell you the truth, I have not measured him, I am guessing a high 4 low 5. We have a bunch of thick sons out of larger framed good uddered cows. Hint Hint. Also we are collecting him the first week of November. I need some people to help me prove him out, if interested pm me.

How have you gotten along with the milking ability on your Legend descendents? I've got a legend daughter that is an extremely eye appealing cow. Lot of capacity, length, mucle, but I'd really like to see her milk a little better.

So far so good, but I have some really good milking cows that they are out of, maybe a little too good. :) 916S has a decent milk epd compared to his sire, so I think his calves will be alright.

KMacGinley":35c60eic said:
So far so good, but I have some really good milking cows that they are out of, maybe a little too good. :) 916S has a decent milk epd compared to his sire, so I think his calves will be alright.

I finally looked at his pedigree and I'd say with his Durabull dam there shouldn't be any problems with milk. Definately a well bred solid bull in every aspect.

Better than the bull are his calves.I have seen them in person and they are good and they are all the same,no matter the cow type or breeding.He is what they used to call a geneticaly prepotent breeding bull.

R.N.Reed":u9gcxnve said:
Better than the bull are his calves.I have seen them in person and they are good and they are all the same,no matter the cow type or breeding.He is what they used to call a geneticaly prepotent breeding bull.

Speaking of that, here are some shots I took of the weaned calves tonight.
barnandcalves111209046-1.jpg

These are a couple of the bull calves
barnandcalves111209036.jpg

A rear view of some heifers.

Here are the kind and type of calves which elevate a producer up into the higher levels of respect that you deserve, Mac! Not only do the calves reflect the breeding that they possess, but that terrific feeding barn adds to the quality of the care and effort that you have expended in their production!

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Doc: This will be the second year for the barn. The first year worked very well. The heifers and bull calves were in it until Feb 1st. I moved the heifers out to another barn and lot adjacent to the pasture where they ended up spending the summer. The Steers and the bull calves that I kept went to a different barn and lot. Both are on the way home from school for my 17 year old so he checked them every day.

The cows came off the corn stalks Feb 2nd. and into the barn they went. We hand fed them hay every day, with bred heifers and thinner cows on the east and the older better conditioned cows on the west. Since they were all under roof, we managed to capture all of their manure, enough to fertilize 20 acres of hay ground. always before they were out in the woods and we wasted this resource. We took out almost 3 feet of manure from the barn, but since we could raise the feeders it worked well. No starting up an engine and feeding silage for an hour and a half every night. Feeding was done in 20 minutes or less easily.

One change for this year is the purchase of a 4x4 round baler. I can cut the strings and unroll the bales by hand along the feeder. We can stack 200 round bales our size in there and still leave room to park our fleet of elderly tractors. :)

We fed the heifers and bull calves hay all winter with a homemade feeder wagon, blatantly copied from one of the H&S wagons and a purchased H&S. We fed 0 grain to the calves. The bulls and steers were finished on pasture. We built the homemade one in the shop using the frame from those trailers they haul modular homes on and some purchased steel for the racks. This has been a very good investment for us.

purecountry":7mqhrfgz said:
He's an exceptional individual, although, what's with all the white? He's got ALOT of it, goes halfway up his sheath. Other than that, he's spectacular. Although in my herd he'd have been banded as a calf for packing that much white.

And that is what selecting for colour is all about; to sacrifice easy fleshing, productivity and correct phenotype for the higher good! Irony intended.

ANAZAZI":2k93q044 said:
purecountry":2k93q044 said:
He's an exceptional individual, although, what's with all the white? He's got ALOT of it, goes halfway up his sheath. Other than that, he's spectacular. Although in my herd he'd have been banded as a calf for packing that much white.

And that is what selecting for colour is all about; to sacrifice easy fleshing, productivity and correct phenotype for the higher good! Irony intended.

HUH?????? Are you insinuating that I select only for color? That's certainly not what I meant by my comment. I was stating that it's something that I INCLUDE in my selection process, nothing more.

Latest posts