OCC Legend 916S

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":363ppse4 said:
3waycross":363ppse4 said:
3waycross":363ppse4 said:
Really nice bull. I am VERY impressed.

However I am curious how he can have a plus 12 for CED and a plus 1 for CEM. Is this another Cherokee Canyon type issue(pelvic structure issues) or what.

Could someone who understands EPD's better than I do please answer my question. I really like the bull and would use him as an AI sire but not without understanding the CED and CEM number disparity.

I can't answer that question, but if you'll notice the accuracies are low. In looking through this bull's sire, grandsire, etc., pedigrees, one bull had a negative (-) MCE EPD. It would take lots of good reports to overcome that. That doesn't mean there's a problem with these bulls or their daughters, it just means we don't know.

Thanks Frankie.

WOW, really good bull, and a heck of a good job he's doing for ya. Only "beef" I have with these Legend cattle...... We had a really hard pull out of a Legend daughter, and she ended up fat and open next spring. We also had another open Legend that same year. Now, we bought these, and the hard pull on the one may have had an effect, but the Legend cattle seem to have some problems in that area. Now, I'm a big fan of Ohlde, and we use lots of his genetics. Not to mention, he's a great fellow to work with. But for me, I'm a little leery evermore of those fancy Legend gals.

I like this bull very much. I was at Mike's Sat. to, would loved to have met you.
Did you purchase this bull from Ohide or use semen from the Legend bull?
thanks,

VERY NICE!!! Especially the first 2 pictures. In my opinion throw the last photo away.

I love his depth of rib and length of body.

KMAC-

No one has commented on the soggy little rascal in the second picture-or his dam standing behind them-in determining the quality of your herd! BOTH the dam and the calf seem to be excellent examples of intelligent beef cattle selection protocols on your part! I can hear the 'drooling' all the way out here to Colorado!

DOC HARRIS

BRG":2gay0qsd said:
VERY NICE!!! Especially the first 2 pictures. In my opinion throw the last photo away.

I love his depth of rib and length of body.

That's the one I would have kept, its a truer representation of what he is. The first two pics with his legs buried to his knees in grass will make him look deeper ribbed than he really is.

rocket2222":21c2tc4e said:
Boston_and_cows_215.jpg

Boston_and_cows_213.jpg

Boston_and_cows_208.jpg

He's an exceptional individual, although, what's with all the white? He's got ALOT of it, goes halfway up his sheath. Other than that, he's spectacular. Although in my herd he'd have been banded as a calf for packing that much white.

purecountry":25h0lpqs said:
rocket2222":25h0lpqs said:

He's an exceptional individual, although, what's with all the white? He's got ALOT of it, goes halfway up his sheath. Other than that, he's spectacular. Although in my herd he'd have been banded as a calf for packing that much white.

You woulda banded a calf with that pedigree and phenatype at birth for an acceptable amount of white.

I am calling bu[[shyttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt :cowboy:

DOC HARRIS":3bpjakjn said:
KMAC-

No one has commented on the soggy little rascal in the second picture-or his dam standing behind them-in determining the quality of your herd! BOTH the dam and the calf seem to be excellent examples of intelligent beef cattle selection protocols on your part! I can hear the 'drooling' all the way out here to Colorado!

DOC HARRIS

I am back from National FFA convention! What a relief! That calf is one of his sons. Those are a few later first calf heifers that did not go to AI. I am going to try to get some calf pictures on tonight.

This is a bred heifer sired by 916S

An April Bull calf from 916S

An April heifer by 916S

Another Bred heifer sired by 916S

A March heifer sired by 916S

Oops can someone make them bigger?

tvc":o739toji said:
I like this bull very much. I was at Mike's Sat. to, would loved to have met you.
thanks,

I bred Several cows to Legend 3 years ago and really appreciated the calves. I went to the sale and bought this guy as a yearling and also a long yearling bred a little different. I lost the other one last year unfortunately. This bull is still going strong and has the phenotype I really admire. His calves have turned out pretty good as well. They have the look of their sire. As noted earlier, they calve very easily, and really go after that udder.
I kept 7 bull calves from cows that I really appreciate in my herd and have developed them on an all forage diet, I plan to sell them in the spring as two year olds. The steer calves from this bull are all gone as freezer beef with very good reviews.
I had a guy here a couple of weeks ago and he bought one of the sons. He also wanted to buy all of the bred heifers. But I am keeping them to calve out next spring.

KMacGinley":2vtmj1xr said:
tvc":2vtmj1xr said:
thanks,

I bred Several cows to Legend 3 years ago and really appreciated the calves. I went to the sale and bought this guy as a yearling and also a long yearling bred a little different. I lost the other one last year unfortunately. This bull is still going strong and has the phenotype I really admire. His calves have turned out pretty good as well. They have the look of their sire. As noted earlier, they calve very easily, and really go after that udder.
I kept 7 bull calves from cows that I really appreciate in my herd and have developed them on an all forage diet, I plan to sell them in the spring as two year olds. The steer calves from this bull are all gone as freezer beef with very good reviews.
I had a guy here a couple of weeks ago and he bought one of the sons. He also wanted to buy all of the bred heifers. But I am keeping them to calve out next spring.

If you don't mind my asking who did you breed his dtrs to.

3waycross":2evqv0tx said:
KMacGinley":2evqv0tx said:
tvc":2evqv0tx said:
thanks,

If you don't mind my asking who did you breed his dtrs to.

I bought another bull from them last fall and picked him up this spring. I haven't got the papers yet, so I can't you a registration number.

His sire is a bull they call Normalizer. he is the result of Emblazon x his full sister.

On the bottom is Legend x Glory.

His birth epd is going to be way minus. I got him primarily to breed heifers with. I will try to get a picture up of him. He is now a two year old.

3waycross":a9ny9om6 said:
purecountry":a9ny9om6 said:
rocket2222":a9ny9om6 said:
You woulda banded a calf with that pedigree and phenatype at birth for an acceptable amount of white.

I am calling bu[[shyttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt :cowboy:

You're entitled to your opinion, I'll stick with mine. The key word in your statement would be "ACCEPTABLE". You accept it, I would not. Simple. As for his pedigree I really am not familiar with Angus bloodlines anymore, been out of them for too long, so I have to admit I have no idea how "cherished" his pedigree is.

I am calling bu[[shyttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt :cowboy:[/quote][/quote][/quote]

You're entitled to your opinion, I'll stick with mine. The key word in your statement would be "ACCEPTABLE". You accept it, I would not. Simple. As for his pedigree I really am not familiar with Angus bloodlines anymore, been out of them for too long, so I have to admit I have no idea how "cherished" his pedigree is.[/quote]

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO you are not "IN" Angus and don't know anything about contemperary pedigrees but you would castrate a absolutely phenominal bull prospect because he carries an amout of white on his belly that is "acceptable" within the specs of the Angus Assn, but doesn't meet your personal criteria.

Hard to argue with that position so I won't. ;-)

3waycross":3hnz1rix said:
[/quote][/quote]

You're entitled to your opinion, I'll stick with mine. The key word in your statement would be "ACCEPTABLE". You accept it, I would not. Simple. As for his pedigree I really am not familiar with Angus bloodlines anymore, been out of them for too long, so I have to admit I have no idea how "cherished" his pedigree is.[/quote]

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO you are not "IN" Angus and don't know anything about contemperary pedigrees but you would castrate a absolutely phenominal bull prospect because he carries an amout of white on his belly that is "acceptable" within the specs of the Angus Assn, but doesn't meet your personal criteria.

Hard to argue with that position so I won't. ;-)[/quote]

Not trying to argue with you, just sharing my opinion. If you're looking for an argument, go somewhere else. I'm just stating how I look at it. For a bull of his quality, maybe I'd use him on a commercial herd where the white wouldn't matter. However for seedstock Angus, Galloway, Highland or any other solid color breed I've had, we've done our level best to knock the white out of them. After seeing the pics of his progeny, it obviously doesn't matter to the owners, and that's fine by me. Not telling anyone how to run their outfit, just stating how I run mine.

Last time I checked, that was still allowed on this forum.

Hard to argue with that position so I won't. ;-)[/quote]

Isn't that what I just said. I didn't want to argue. You ARE entitled to your opinion. I just don't happen to agree with it.

Latest posts