Oats or Rygrass?

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
I want to plant some type of winter grass, but I want to just broadcast plant it and I don't want it to hurt my coastal. I plan to plant it mainly in the areas where the coastal isn't but would it hurt to plant it on the coastal as well? I know oats will grow cause I've seen it where my horse drops them when she eats. I know ryegrass will too. Is either one of these better than the other or is there something else I should consider? I have sandy soil and plan to run s few stockers on it. One last thing when should I plant it?
Go easy on me. :help:

You need to lightly disk your coastal before you broadcast. This does two things - it lets the seed have contact with soil and it slows the coastal down so that your winter grass can get started. It will not hurt the coastal if you get the grass off nxt spring. I would do this in early October.

Be aware that if it gets cold enough, the oats will freeze and die. Here in north TX, I prefer ryegrass...

If you mow the pasture short and disk it (in preparation for planting) you do face the danger of damaging the coastal. If a cold, hard winter happens to come along, the coastal can get freeze damage. The taller that you leave the coastal, the more that it is protected from freeze.

johndeerefarmer":pja439mv said:
Be aware that if it gets cold enough, the oats will freeze and die. Here in north TX, I prefer ryegrass...

If you mow the pasture short and disk it (in preparation for planting) you do face the danger of damaging the coastal. If a cold, hard winter happens to come along, the coastal can get freeze damage. The taller that you leave the coastal, the more that it is protected from freeze.
So I take it you just broadcast your rye grass seed without disking it? Or did I read that wrong? I am trying not to shred my pasture as much as I can because I have a pretty good amount of cactus and that stuff just gets spread out the more I knock it around. I have tried to go around it but with the coastal growing around it real good its hard to always see it before its too late. I'm afraid disking it would also give me a bad result. I plan to start sprying it as soon as I can but right now I am just trying to get a few head on it.

id just broadcast the rye grass.an not disk it.that really the best for yor pastures.scott

If you just broadcast the ryegrass on top of the ground, do not expect much grazing from it before late February.

bigbull338":367vadgs said:
id just broadcast the rye grass.an not disk it.that really the best for yor pastures.scott

Yeah, like he said plus if you can borrow a roller. Roll it after putting the seed out. It really helps.

Either set the discs on the harrow straight (rather than at an angle) and lightly disk it or wait until after the first frost and spread the seed on top of the ground

When I suggested lightly disking, I meant setting the blades straight and just opening some furrows. Have done it for years and not hurt coastal. Actually it invigorates it cause it thinks you are trying to kill it. :lol:

We are planning to try drillin the rye grass this year out in the pasture. I think it can't do anything but help our over all winter feeding to have the rye grass put out in 25 or 30 acre areas. Last year we broadcast it in with our coastal,in a small 4 acre holding area where we kept daughters pen of 3 commercial heifers.They grazed on the rye grass all winter and soon as spring come along man that coastal took off...never have i seen it this thick. they were taken off the pasture the first of june when we had our fair. Since then that coastal has really thickened up. right now we dont have anything in on it. but I've never seen it this thick. We'll be penning and working cows in september and will sort out 5 heifers for her to raise for next year. Wondering since the coastal is sooo thick should we even worry about puttin the rye grass out in there this time.

Make sure that the summer grass is short and stoped growing or it will shade out the sprouting winter grass. So cut the summer grass for hay at first frost or graze it short before broadcasting your ryegrass. You might also try mixing in some clover and rye.

you have to watch the cows on rye cause they can bloat, they wont on the oats

Latest posts