O.T. Are people getting stupider?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alice":wufa82br said:
vs_cattle":wufa82br said:
farmerjohn":wufa82br said:
seems like the younger generation has no common sense. Questions like" can I feed my yard clippings to cows" to do I need a 5 gallon bucket full for a soil sample".
They are too lazy to read, so they come to a forum wanting an expert answer. AND, they believe everything that they read on the Internet.

In about 20 years when that generation takes over we are going to be in deep sh@%.... :roll:

I THINK NOT! Farmer John Im only 17 I have some common sense, and yes I do ask questions but its the only way I learn I wasent born knowing 21 things about ranching so SORRY. Also I like many others dont belive 110% of some of the stuff we read on here but I do pick and choose what I belive and your going to be in deep sh!@ with out us so get use to us being around like you said where the next generation so maybe you should help out and answer some questions.

Thanks To All Of The Ranchers And Farmers That Answer The Many Questions Asked By The
next generation

This is also "well wrote". :) Mr. 17 year old guy...I like your style! :)

Alice

Thanks Alice,
I Guess I Have Some Kinda Of Sense

To me it seems like the best advice that i have received here on this forum has come from people who very willing and helpfully answered any question presented to the boards no matter how complex or not so complex it was.

Alot of thoes same people are Guru's( been on this forum for a long time ) and thoes people are very well liked, knowledgible cattle men & women who go out of their way to answer/help beginners & old hands alike any way they can no matter how small or great the problem may be.

And it is not just the Guru's their are alot of new members with tons of experience in the cattle bussiness who are more than willing to answer any questions no matter how meaningless they may seem to others.

And if you are new here on the cattle forum it wont take you long at all to recognize who these people are and where your best advice/information will come from.

And how to over look trash that either knows a little bit about cattle and for some reason or another wants to sit arround a belittle people who are tring to learn about the cattle bussiness. Or they think they are some kind of expert cattlemen. :lol: whos advice you can not live with out. But dont let that kind of trash get to you. Because for every one of them that are here on the forum there are 10 real cattle men & women who are more than happy to give you good sound advice with out tring to belittle you.

tncattle":23w8g824 said:
Caustic Burno":23w8g824 said:
Well one thing about this thread is we found out who has tender feelings about there questions.

We also found out who doesn't like it when others challenge their point of view.

I see my old neighbor has got some tails twisted pretty tight tonight.

I had a strange thought. You neighbor sows so many wild oats, he may be eligible for farm subsidies. From the sound of things he has been sowing wild oats all his life. :lol:

Bama":2trq3jba said:
I had a strange thought. You neighbor sows so many wild oats, he may be eligible for farm subsidies. From the sound of things he has been sowing wild oats all his life. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAO

I don't think the grass clipping ? was a dumb one. There could be herbicides or pesticides that were sprayed on there and could hurt a cow. Also if there were poisonious plants that got run over and the cow can't pick around that. Seems like even on pastures there are chemicals that when you spray you have to wait a certain amount of time before cattle can get back on them.

No question is too dumb. I doubt even the most knowledgeable people on this board got this far without asking a question that seemed easy to some.

Sometimes searches work for me sometimes not. When a crisis arises most of the time people are a little frantic and want to try to get a quick answer to their specifics and not have to weed through everything in a search.

None of us were born knowing everything. Some were blessed enough to have grown up around cattle others had someone take them under their wing and show them the ropes others are coming in brand new(can you imagine how challenging that would be?)

So for those of you who have gotten too big for your britches think of how you got to where you are and who helped you. :D

The problem is most of the people on this board wouldn't make a pimple on a good Cowmans ass. (me included)They just want everyone to think they are.
If you cut to the chase I bet there are not 50 real cattlemen on here. If there were you wouldn't see the same basic questions over and over.

Campground Cattle":1kbs2psj said:
If you cut to the chase I bet there are not 50 real cattlemen on here. If there were you wouldn't see the same basic questions over and over.
Sure there would be - because you'd always have newbies like me coming along with those questions

I'm not young or stupid (I color my hair to hide the gray and I have a college degree) but if I don't ask you (or my Dad) questions then I'm just going to have to guess and then someone(thing) will get hurt - you guys better hope that Dad hangs in there a while longer - or you will get all of the questions :shock: :shock: :p :p :p

The reason we get the same questions over and over is there are new people here all the time. The diffference between here and my day job is at work we wait until they leave to laugh about the actions of people who don't know better.
Most of the people posting here will go out of their way to help someone. There are some that make themselves feel better by putting others down. The other thing is there are people here from all over the country, heck all over the world. It is a big world. There are big differences in the way things are done in different areas. There are some set rules, like cows eat grass. But the kind of grass will vary a lot and how it is manged will toss in more variability.

I am wondering if back in the day if people said the exact same things about young people being dumb? I think the truth is they just haven't learned how to hide it very well.

auctionboy":29afemnw said:
I am wondering if back in the day if people said the exact same things about young people being dumb? I think the truth is they just haven't learned how to hide it very well.

We were hauling grass clippings to the hogs or compost pile by the time we entered grade school. We had plenty of chores to do every day. We were in the pastures and fields every day and we had to listen to survive.

I have never had a garden since leaving home. That probably came from all those years on the end of a hoe.

Seems despite all the hard work we had to do, we were much happier kids.

Sorry to disagree John but I suppose any question could be considered stupid to one who already knows the answer.
Some questions may not be well thought out but I do not believe they are an indicator of a persons IQ.
tom

rkm":1hvy228c said:
It is true that the younger generation lacks commonsense, but when it comes to modern technology the youngsters put this old geezer to shame. Sometimes because we know something we think we know everything. :shock: :shock:

Here-Here!! 45 years old and I got my first ATM card the other day. When I asked the 18 y/o teller how to use it, she looked at me like Caustic looks at lawn grass haulers......

Next I'm going to tackle these new-fangled cell phones

People are getting "stupider". It's a fact. The less fortunate and less intelligent (to some) are propogating at a higher rate than the others.

The Rockefeller Foundation, and others, came up with a plan to sterilize the "feeble minded" here during the last century. There were many "tubes" tied under the guise of an appendectomy.

Just Google "Eugenics" or read the book, "War Against the Weak" (by Edwin Black).

Look around you. Who are the ones that have the higher numbers of children, in general. Especially in the 3rd world countries.

Don't know how this relates to this forum though.

Am I out of line here? :shock:

Am I the only one that noticed that CB has enjoyed stirring the pot a lot more since geting bit by the wild hog a while back? Rabies? Mad Hog? Hog Wild? or just the Love Bug? seems odd. :D

Alan

whats sad is all these universities doing reserch and test. when the ol rancher with baccer juice runnin down both side of his mouth. could smile and tell em it aint gonna work . your wastin time and money ..only too abandon the project

ALACOWMAN":1iybj99k said:
whats sad is all these universities doing reserch and test. when the ol rancher with baccer juice runnin down both side of his mouth. could smile and tell em it aint gonna work . your wastin time and money ..only too abandon the project

There are some old timers around here that don't have a clue. One guy has never bought an outside bull. His cow herd today would make any true Hereford breeder cringe. Another won't spend over $700 for a bull. He finally started using Gerts on his Herefords and improved the calf crop. Many of them keep the bull with the cows year around. Being "experienced" doesn't necessarily being smart.

As a 25 year veteran of the Car Wash business, I answer lots of questions about that business on another forum. Seldom have I seen someone post a dumb question there. Already asked, argumentative, and questions that the answers are purely opinions: "Who makes the best in bay automatic", posted on the car wash forum ranks right up there with "What's the best breed of cattle?" posted on the cattle forum.

I usually don't respond to those posts but also don't think the people that asks them are dumb. I don't have a litmus test I use to determine if a post is dumb or not.

If you think the question is not challenging enough for your vast knowledge of the subject...... Don't respond.

ALACOWMAN":34x01v8n said:

First thing that came to mind when I read this was the old cattle farmer that had never fed a pound of minerals to his cows and was telling me and my dad how to cure the "Hollowtail". :lol:

His remedy was to split the tail with a pocketknife and pour salt in it.

He said they would be strong enough to get up and run after that! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:

Latest posts