O.T. Are people getting stupider?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjohn

Reaction score
seems like the younger generation has no common sense. Questions like" can I feed my yard clippings to cows" to do I need a 5 gallon bucket full for a soil sample".
They are too lazy to read, so they come to a forum wanting an expert answer. AND, they believe everything that they read on the Internet.

In about 20 years when that generation takes over we are going to be in deep sh@%.... :roll:

I'm not going to beat up the "younger generation" because I know too many sharp youngsters. But I stopped in at Sutherlands recently and asked a clerk if they had any wood burning stoves. She gave me a long, hard look, and said, "do you burn wood? I didn't know anyone did that anymore." Then she sent me to the appliance section of the store!

Have you heard TS's latest radio add where the guy ask the competing farm stores clerk if they have a hay elevator and the guy quizzickly states "we dont need one, the store is only one floor." :lol:

PS: So your telling me I didnt have to fill all them 5 gallon buckets up. I figures I would just do it once then I would have plenty of samples already stored to send in every couple of years. :lol:

Look guys. There are stupid people, and do you know? They aren't all young. This is a beginners board. People are going to ask questions that seem simple to people who have been doing this for a while. Knock it off :roll:

*Cowgirl*":37g1kh31 said:
Look guys. There are stupid people, and do you know? They aren't all young. This is a beginners board. People are going to ask questions that seem simple to people who have been doing this for a while. Knock it off :roll:

:lol: actually, I agree with her. The only stupid question is the one not asked. Of course that doesnt keep me from smiling sometimes.

On the days when I'm in a less than optimistic frame of mind, I can tend to think that Schwarzenegger's "Terminator" movies are a prediction of things to come----machines taking over control of the earth. It seems people are getting dumber and machines are getting smarter. One example that hit me recently is the commercial---for Lexus-- I think, where the car can parellel park itself. DAM!!!

the younger generation is a long way from being dumb. infact some are amazing at time's... now down to earth common sence thats nuther storey altogether. ;-)

I remember when I was a kid working at a stable we used to call the manager up every couple of months and tell him the horses were having problems chewing their cud, just to see him get all flustered trying to figure out why. :lol: Was that mean :?: :roll:

farmerjohn":aesp3y9d said:
seems like the younger generation has no common sense. Questions like" can I feed my yard clippings to cows" to do I need a 5 gallon bucket full for a soil sample".
They are too lazy to read, so they come to a forum wanting an expert answer. AND, they believe everything that they read on the Internet.

In about 20 years when that generation takes over we are going to be in deep sh@%.... :roll:

If it were not for, what you deem as stupid questions, most of us would never be able to respond, or take part in these boards at all. They would only be for the genious people like you.
That brings up another point. If any of us had any brains at all we would be doing something besides raiseing cattle.

Beefmaker":3ieo3fva said:
On the days when I'm in a less than optimistic frame of mind, I can tend to think that Schwarzenegger's "Terminator" movies are a prediction of things to come----machines taking over control of the earth. It seems people are getting dumber and machines are getting smarter. One example that hit me recently is the commercial---for Lexus-- I think, where the car can parellel park itself. DAM!!!
Did you know they have little telephones now that you can carry around and take pictures with?
You can also do 'text messaging' but I don't know what that is.

What'll they think of next?

With comments like farmerjohn is it any wonder that there are fewer people in livestock and cattlemen associations!

Come on Yall, I think you are over-reacting to the comments. Everybody ha smade off the cuff comments at one point or another that doent say exactly what they really feel. Only FarmerJohn knows for sure, but im guessing it isnt all that.

In my day job I work with farmers. A couple of my co-workers work with the backyarders and flashlight farmers. These people are not 20 year olds. They are commonly in their 40's and 50's and older. You wouldn't believe some of the stories my co-workers bring back to the office. The 5 gallon soil sample is nothing.
The trouble is that too many people are at least one generation away from the land. They have no idea about the things that are common place for people who grew up in a rural environment.
Kids these days are smart. They just learned different things than we did growing up. Sure there are lazy ones. But I bet if you went and looked up my classmates from PHS class of '69 you could find a bum or two maybe even three. I know of at least three kids in my son's class of 2000 who are operating their own business and netting six figures with just a HS education. I have a lot of faith in this younger generation.

It is true that the younger generation lacks commonsense, but when it comes to modern technology the youngsters put this old geezer to shame. Sometimes because we know something we think we know everything. :shock: :shock:

Dave, maybe this is a "Dumb Question" :lol:; But what is a flashlight farmer?

Do those things take a lot of water, or can you grow them pretty much anywhere?

It ain't necessary a person age. Two of the sharpest tacks on here are younguns. Milkmaid and Jake know more about cattle than most folks 3 times their age.

3mr,

A flashlight farmer is a term I heard used to describe those people move to the rural areas but keep their urban job. After their long commute home they do their chores by flashlight. If my experience has any bearing here, the batteries are about dead.

Dave

I agree that stupid comes in all ages. But it's hard to pass up the air head youngster that should know better. I stayed in a hotel earlier this week. I knew I would be getting in late so I called the hotel and ask the desk clerk to please put my in a non smoking room on the top floor, not close to the elevators or vending. She booked me a "quiet" room while I was on the phone. I checked in and I was right across the hall from the vending and about 10 feet from the elevator. I went down to change rooms and complain, the young girl, who was the youngster I spoke on the phone with, said "but the pop machine hasn't worked for 3 months", I asked about the ice and candy machines ..... oh. Ms. air head blew it.

But as an opinion (mine), I don't see the question about cows eating clippings being dumb, kinda dumb to pick on beginners, lots of opinions on the grass clipping thread. Keep asking the questions folks you'll get answers and not always the smart remark.... maybe.

JMO,
Alan

Latest posts