O.T. Are people getting stupider?

Help Support CattleToday:

I was wondering if these people, Flashlight farmers?, were able to find the money to buy that high dollar land, cattle and the infrastructure that goes with it, why anyone would consider them dumb. I think maybe he ment ignorant, which makes him ignorant, not dumb. Dumb people don,t ask questions. Dumb people think they have all the answers and don,t need to ask. Dumb people think it is dumb to ask.

I for one have learned a lot by some of the seemingly dumb questions people ask. I thought I new what I found out I did not know.

Caustic Burno":3pxhh0uk said:
99% of the dumb questions are coming from the hobby wantabee. Amazing some of there animals survive.

So if they don't know something and could easily find out here from experts like you, they still shouldn't ask? What is your definition of hobby wannabe's? BTW my wife said wantabee or wannabe is not really a word, she's the English expert not me.

novatech":1gq8gi42 said:
I was wondering if these people, Flashlight farmers?, were able to find the money to buy that high dollar land, cattle and the infrastructure that goes with it, why anyone would consider them dumb. I think maybe he ment ignorant, which makes him ignorant, not dumb. Dumb people don,t ask questions. Dumb people think they have all the answers and don,t need to ask. Dumb people think it is dumb to ask.

I for one have learned a lot by some of the seemingly dumb questions people ask. I thought I new what I found out I did not know.

Money is no problem if you can make the note go online and you will have institutions fighting to lend you money.

tncattle":866go880 said:
Caustic Burno":866go880 said:
99% of the dumb questions are coming from the hobby wantabee. Amazing some of there animals survive.

So if they don't know something and could easily find out here from experts like you, they still shouldn't ask? What is your definition of hobby wannabe's? BTW my wife said wantabee or wannabe is not really a word, she's the English expert not me.

The problem is most are to lazy to search first there is not much that is not in the achrives.

Caustic Burno":20m5od25 said:

That's the problem - the "wantabee". They buy 40 acres at some outrageous price which makes prices out of reach for the "real" farmers and ranchers. They are scared of fertilizer and chemicals because they are not organic.. :roll:
They have never hardly even saw a cow before and for some reason they think that they can buy some land and make a go of it.
They have driven the prices of the smaller compact and utility tractors through the roof. They have also driven the price of a Ford Super Duty through the roof because they think that they need a diesel to go to Tractor Supply to buy a sack of feed.

I have no use for them or stupid people.

You can't teach common sense and seems like the new generations ain't got any

Caustic Burno":3ocsvtm9 said:
tncattle":3ocsvtm9 said:
Caustic Burno":3ocsvtm9 said:

The problem is most are to lazy to search first there is not much that is not in the achrives.

It is usually quicker to post and get quick specific answers rather than search in tons of archive posts looking for what MIGHT answer your question specifically.

I have to agree that common sense is no longer a virtue that has been passed along by Parents,the Education establishment, etc. Seems like you either have it, or don't. Stupid is Stupid does, to coin a phrase.

farmerjohn":17udlhoo said:
Caustic Burno":17udlhoo said:

That's the problem - the "wantabee". They buy 40 acres at some outrageous price which makes prices out of reach for the "real" farmers and ranchers. They are scared of fertilizer and chemicals because they are not organic.. :roll:
They have never hardly even saw a cow before and for some reason they think that they can buy some land and make a go of it.
They have driven the prices of the smaller compact and utility tractors through the roof. They have also driven the price of a Ford Super Duty through the roof because they think that they need a diesel to go to Tractor Supply to buy a sack of feed.

The place behind Camp's is up for sale for the third time in three years 60 acres nice barn and pens from the original owner who died. Last time it sold for 400,000 was to a guy who owned four McDonalds in Houston and decided he wanted to be a Cowboy/Rancher. He started this winter with 8 cows and 8 bales of hay. I am just waiting to see what buy's it next from Houston.

farmerjohn":2n3he843 said:
Caustic Burno":2n3he843 said:

Well I'm reading Storey's "Guide to Rasing Beef Cattle", talking with local cattle ranchers and asking questions on this website to see if this is something I want to even do. If someone doesn't want to answer my so called dumb questions then so be it. All my life when I want to know something I asked questions and I'm not gonna stop now.

CB, you and I have been on this board for the same amount of time, long enough to know that that this discussion, as well as the grass clippings questions has been asked many times before. I still think that no question is stupid, but for all the newbies; try the search tab on the top of the page before asking the basic questions.

Alan, the wannabe. with a new truck and trailer and land. I do have more than 8 bales of hay though. :D

Alan

Well, I'm one of those wanna be's. I bought 25 acres so I could get away from the city and neighbors 8 feet from my house. I grew up in a smaller community. Where if you did something wrong across town your parents would find out about it. Where kids didn't back talk adults. I wanted to raise my kids in a community like that. So I'm in the process of moving. At first I bought cows just for the ag exempt on the land tax. Now I think I'd like to dabble a little. I frequent this site because I know I'm ignorant about raising cattle. I have two daughters and didn't have a clue what I was doing when the first one showed up. I'll be really suprised if a bunch of guys start telling me they new what they were doing when their first daughter was born, but you figure it out some how and do your best. I'll do my best with these few cows and hope some of ya'll put up with my stupider questions.

Walt

Shoot, I am a hobbyist and proud of it! But we sure as heck aren't rich enough to afford all your guys are describing! :shock:

If I offend, tough. I served in the military for 9 long years and spent too much time in nasty places with people that wanted to kill me because of the uniform I wore. And all I could think about is how much I loved the land and the animals that I had the pleasure of being around when I was working my way through college. I wasn't lucky enough to be born and raised on a farm, so I have to learn everything the hard way. When I was overseas, I longed for home and a farm of my own. Everything my husband and I have, we earned, thank you. And we have just as much right to our American Dream as anyone else in this land!

Sorry for being touchy. It's just that this type of mean spirited post is getting old. Maybe I should use the search tab more, but I find it cumbersome and uncooperative. And, like many, sometimes I just want to be sure the specifics of my situation have the same answer. And, I bug the vet and the extension agent as well, so don't feel like I just pick on you guys. I spread it around a bit. :lol:

Little Cow":3w3a9uy9 said:
Shoot, I am a hobbyist and proud of it! But we sure as heck aren't rich enough to afford all your guys are describing! :shock:

If I offend, tough. I served in the military for 9 long years and spent too much time in nasty places with people that wanted to kill me because of the uniform I wore. And all I could think about is how much I loved the land and the animals that I had the pleasure of being around when I was working my way through college. I wasn't lucky enough to be born and raised on a farm, so I have to learn everything the hard way. When I was overseas, I longed for home and a farm of my own. Everything my husband and I have, we earned, thank you. And we have just as much right to our American Dream as anyone else in this land!

Sorry for being touchy. It's just that this type of mean spirited post is getting old. Maybe I should use the search tab more, but I find it cumbersome and uncooperative. And, like many, sometimes I just want to be sure the specifics of my situation have the same answer. And, I bug the vet and the extension agent as well, so don't feel like I just pick on you guys. I spread it around a bit. :lol:

Well said, Bravo!

Everyone has to start somewhere. I was always taught the only dumb question was the one that was'nt asked. Not everyone here was lucky enough to be "born' into Land and Cattle, or have a family member or friend that was there to teach them the ropes.

I have people come to me on a daily basis asking about getting into Cattle. I admit I try and sway some of them, but I still get a big degree of flattery just being asked the questions.With a lot of the big farms being cut up into small acreage, there will be a lot more "Hobby Farming" going on. But never the less, people are trying to leave the big Cities, and try to raise their families in a Country environment. It's good for both kids and adults.

Caustic Burno":3nskmfjw said:
Well one thing about this thread is we found out who has tender feelings about there questions.

We also found out who doesn't like it when others challenge their point of view.

farmerjohn":3rwkg81o said:
seems like the younger generation has no common sense. Questions like" can I feed my yard clippings to cows" to do I need a 5 gallon bucket full for a soil sample".
They are too lazy to read, so they come to a forum wanting an expert answer. AND, they believe everything that they read on the Internet.

In about 20 years when that generation takes over we are going to be in deep sh@%.... :roll:

I THINK NOT! Farmer John Im only 17 I have some common sense, and yes I do ask questions but its the only way I learn I wasent born knowing 21 things about ranching so SORRY. Also I like many others dont belive 110% of some of the stuff we read on here but I do pick and choose what I belive and your going to be in deep sh!@ with out us so get use to us being around like you said where the next generation so maybe you should help out and answer some questions.

Thanks To All Of The Ranchers And Farmers That Answer The Many Questions Asked By The
next generation

Crowderfarms":1pms4wxn said:
Everyone has to start somewhere. I was always taught the only dumb question was the one that was'nt asked. Not everyone here was lucky enough to be "born' into Land and Cattle, or have a family member or friend that was there to teach them the ropes.

I have people come to me on a daily basis asking about getting into Cattle. I admit I try and sway some of them, but I still get a big degree of flattery just being asked the questions.With a lot of the big farms being cut up into small acreage, there will be a lot more "Hobby Farming" going on. But never the less, people are trying to leave the big Cities, and try to raise their families in a Country environment. It's good for both kids and adults.

Well Wrote

vs_cattle":35fhpfei said:
farmerjohn":35fhpfei said:
seems like the younger generation has no common sense. Questions like" can I feed my yard clippings to cows" to do I need a 5 gallon bucket full for a soil sample".
They are too lazy to read, so they come to a forum wanting an expert answer. AND, they believe everything that they read on the Internet.

In about 20 years when that generation takes over we are going to be in deep sh@%.... :roll:

I THINK NOT! Farmer John Im only 17 I have some common sense, and yes I do ask questions but its the only way I learn I wasent born knowing 21 things about ranching so SORRY. Also I like many others dont belive 110% of some of the stuff we read on here but I do pick and choose what I belive and your going to be in deep sh!@ with out us so get use to us being around like you said where the next generation so maybe you should help out and answer some questions.

Thanks To All Of The Ranchers And Farmers That Answer The Many Questions Asked By The
next generation

This is also "well wrote". :) Mr. 17 year old guy...I like your style! :)

Alice

Latest posts