NY Angus moving to TN

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on a fella buying NY raised Angus cows and moving them to middle Tennessee? A friend of mine is planning to go to a New York State cattle auction in October and I just don't see the logic.

Aside from the obvious expenses associated with the shipping I'd be concerned with how quickly they would adapt to our climate and fescue based diet.

I hear of folks shipping from sales cross country all the time. Those who do it often would be the ones to ask. I have always wondered about altitude change too, just as much as climate.

torogmc81":2mv89ujz said:
I hear of folks shipping from sales cross country all the time. Those who do it often would be the ones to ask. I have always wondered about altitude change too, just as much as climate.

I've always heard that you have to be careful taking western cattle east due to the fescue factor and you're correct, altitude is a big area of concern as well in many instances.

TennesseeTuxedo":3vf83iy9 said:
torogmc81":3vf83iy9 said:

I've always heard that you have to be careful taking western cattle east due to the fescue factor and you're correct, altitude is a big area of concern as well in many instances.
Increase, decrease, or both (concern of altitiude change)?

Someone can tell me I'm wrong, but doesn't NY have a fair amount of fescue, it is a cool season grass. And I do believe it even gets humid in the NE??

This may sound obvious or condescending but it's not meant that way. NY is a big state, with regions that fall anywhere from Zone 2 all the way to Zone 7 and areas that get 200+" of snow a year and some that average 6" or less. No Fescue where I am. Maybe downstate in some southern tier areas but I don't think so. I know very little about adapting cattle over to fescue based pasture, but I think that would be the biggest concern for TN area.

While genetics are important, in a situation such as this, environment and management have more of an impact on the performance of these cattle and offspring.

Have talked to guys that have bought cattle from some of the "big boys" that were weaning of 750 -800 pound plus calves, thinking that by adding this type of cattle, they could come in and improve their herds through the offspring.

But after they calved and when weaning time came, the calves from these cows didn't perform as well as their own cattle did.

I think there would only be a couple of reasons to bring in cattle from several states away. (1) genetics that are otherwise unavailable, (2) a certain pedigree.

artesianspringsfarm":1frn5oop said:
This may sound obvious or condescending but it's not meant that way. NY is a big state, with regions that fall anywhere from Zone 2 all the way to Zone 7 and areas that get 200+" of snow a year and some that average 6" or less. No Fescue where I am. Maybe downstate in some southern tier areas but I don't think so. I know very little about adapting cattle over to fescue based pasture, but I think that would be the biggest concern for TN area.
I agree, climate can be adapted to fairly quickly (obviously depending on the breed), fescye takes a very minimum of 2 years haven;t seen that often. Usually it's 3-4 years. Some never adapt. The depending on breed part would be taking Brahman cattle to alaska, most of the other common breeds (witthout bos indicus breeding) will adapt in time.

Kingfisher":3dwyvgmn said:
And time is money in business. You ain't got good black cows in Tn?

Of course we do.

Turns out his his scheme is even more hare-brained than I first thought. The fella thinks he's gonna buy cows in NY and resell them here at a profit. I didn't argue and wished him all the best.

artesianspringsfarm":1y16cm8z said:

The fescue adaptation was my original primary concern so I made a couple of phone calls and found 40 registered Angus cows for sale in KY only to find out he isn't looking to build his herd but thinks he's discovered a way to "flip" cows buying there and reselling here.

To top it off he informed me that he could grow his herd for "free" by simply retaining heifers. I knew right then and there I was out of my league trying to council this cattle baron.

he could end up with some sick cows after he gets them home considering the climate change.

dun":uolotirh said:
artesianspringsfarm":uolotirh said:
I agree, climate can be adapted to fairly quickly (obviously depending on the breed), fescye takes a very minimum of 2 years haven;t seen that often. Usually it's 3-4 years. Some never adapt. The depending on breed part would be taking Brahman cattle to alaska, most of the other common breeds (witthout bos indicus breeding) will adapt in time.

What you mean they have to adapt to fescue. Why would an angus cow have to adapt they are already the answer don't you know. LOL. I agree with you Dun. Also another concern would be shipping fever.

TennesseeTuxedo":8ak7l59r said:
Kingfisher":8ak7l59r said:

Of course we do.

Turns out his his scheme is even more hare-brained than I first thought. The fella thinks he's gonna buy cows in NY and resell them here at a profit. I didn't argue and wished him all the best.

As long as he does over 250 head at a time he will be smart enough to make it work :cowboy: :nod:

mwj":1ise2tlr said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ise2tlr said:
Kingfisher":1ise2tlr said:

Of course we do.

As long as he does over 250 head at a time he will be smart enough to make it work :cowboy: :nod:

Ok I will bite. how come 250 how is that a magic number

Latest posts