now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Help Support CattleToday:

If this is the case then it may back fire on the do gooders that supposedly want a safe product for consumers that isn't medicated. Although I suspect very few producers would not do what was needed to treat their animals if need be, some may choose to not treat as quickly or at all for basic ailments like pinkeye or an infection. To me those kinds of ailments are easily treated relatively inexpensively with the OTC tetracycline products if treated in a timely fashion. I try to keep that on hand for just such emergencies and have pretty good success rate when a problem is noticed early. I fear that this would cause some to delay treatment in part due to timing constraints or convenience issues.

sim.-ang.king":1f5b4qyy said:
Just wait until you will have to pay a vet to inject anything, or give any type of medicine.
Be it a scour pill to a group of sick calves, vaccines, or even pour-on.
It's coming, and there will be nothing we can do about it, until we the farmers take charge, and run the regulators out on a rail.

I fear we the farmers are not in a place to take charge, maybe maybe not just don't know the anwer to that, but one thing is for sure we the farmers will ultimately end up carrying the burden of the added costs. If the respective livestock organizations could/would communicate with the consuming public the truth and consequences of these issues it may have some influence. I also think that if the consumers as well as other points in the supply chain beared some of the added costs to compensate instead of the farmers absorbing all the costs it may wake some up.

A friend with a goat dairy in Ca said that all antibiotics were prescription in CA and she had to go over the OR line to get some stuff since the vet is nearly 2 hours from her and it is not practical. This same type discussion takes place on other forums too.

ddd75":1xblodb1 said:
OTC tetracycline is the next target for VFD.

Food /water tetracycline was down 70% after the VFD.

VET / CLIENT RELATIONSHIPS WAY WAY UP.

Now.. all OTC tetracycline will be required to have a prescription!!! Thats what they are working on.

WHY?? IS this being misused? Are we running around catching cows to hop them up on some LA200 just for fun and giggles??

I Have NEVER met a producer who gives medication for no reason.

TO ME.. This is unfolding a nice story about putting more money in the vets pocket.

We were told a couple years ago at a beef workshop that was coming.

Bright Raven":1lyhm4dt said:
True Grit Farms":1lyhm4dt said:
Aaron":1lyhm4dt said:
End of the year, here, and all antibiotics will be from vet, no more at feed store. Just so you know what is coming. Prices aren't much different for me, just a little further to drive and pick up.

I was at UGA veterinary meeting Tuesday and two different speakers said the VFD wasn't anything compared to what's coming down the pike.
It should have been regulated first.
Agree. VFD is geared to feed. There will be a broader attempt to regulate all manner of medications administered by Producers.

I like being able to buy oxytet at the farm store. (I have no desire to be able to buy antibiotic-laced feed there).
Anyone who thinks farmers never use antibiotics irresponsibly has not read many cattle forums (CT included).
One of the wisest things I've learned was actually from Dun's (may he rest in peace) frequent, laid-back exhortation for us all to practice some "benign neglect." It gave me the courage to wait out many a panicked-newbie moment.

sim.-ang.king":31oddoop said:
Just wait until you will have to pay a vet to inject anything, or give any type of medicine.
Be it a scour pill to a group of sick calves, vaccines, or even pour-on.
It's coming, and there will be nothing we can do about it, until we the farmers take charge, and run the regulators out on a rail.
Too many of them are lining their pockets for 'us' to be able to do that. But, you're right. As long as the lawmakers have plenty of someones that are willing to do the dirty work for them for their 30 pieces of silver, in enforcement, we'll always be at peril. That is where the problems lie and always has been.

boondocks":rxxcjkot said:
I like being able to buy oxytet at the farm store. (I have no desire to be able to buy antibiotic-laced feed there).
Anyone who thinks farmers never use antibiotics irresponsibly has not read many cattle forums (CT included).
One of the wisest things I've learned was actually from Dun's (may he rest in peace) frequent, laid-back exhortation for us all to practice some "benign neglect." It gave me the courage to wait out many a panicked-newbie moment.

well.. i'm sure.. as with everything.. their are abuses to a products intent.

I don't hang out with hobby farmers so I don't know what they do.. I do know most of it is wrong.

But anyway.. I seriously doubt that a few hundred idiots are the ones driving this change. Out of millions of head of cattle, MOST in capable hands, I don't think they are looking at bob the hobby farmer. But maybe I'm wrong.. Those type of idiots do ruin everything usually.

ddd75":3gfuqlzs said:

But anyway.. I seriously doubt that a few hundred idiots are the ones driving this change.

The regulation of antibiotics is not "group driven". It is not focused on 'hobby producers' versus 'professional producers'. The intent is to keep the meat food chain free of antibiotics and to reduce the risk of drug resistant microbes.

There is a misconception that beef, pork and poultry have high levels of antibiotics in the finished meat - studies do not support that. The vast majority of animal scientist and veterinarians are not pushing for additional regulations. It is coming from the consumer and health officials.

Bright Raven":233y6o7q said:
ddd75":233y6o7q said:

But anyway.. I seriously doubt that a few hundred idiots are the ones driving this change.

The regulation of antibiotics is not "group driven". It is not focused on 'hobby producers' versus 'professional producers'. The intent is to keep the meat food chain free of antibiotics and to reduce the risk of drug resistant microbes.

There is a misconception that beef, pork and poultry have high levels of antibiotics in the finished meat - studies do not support that. The vast majority of animal scientist and veterinarians are not pushing for additional regulations. It is coming from the consumer and health officials.

And being pushed along by the animal and plant loving liberals.

True Grit Farms":2tj7o446 said:
Bright Raven":2tj7o446 said:
ddd75":2tj7o446 said:

And being pushed along by the animal and plant loving liberals.
You're shooting from the hip again. People simply want antibiotic free meat. Same for milk. At least milk is tested for antibiotics, aflatoxin, high bacteria levels and rejected if found elevated (and the maximum is very low).

TexasBred":10p0rdfd said:
You're shooting from the hip again. People simply want antibiotic free meat. Same for milk. At least milk is tested for antibiotics, aflatoxin, high bacteria levels and rejected if found elevated (and the maximum is very low).

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has a strict process of testing all meat, poultry, eggs and milk for unwanted compounds, including antibiotic residues.

Silver":3keluvli said:
TexasBred":3keluvli said:

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has a strict process of testing all meat, poultry, eggs and milk for unwanted compounds, including antibiotic residues.
Yet I myself have sent packer cows to the sale barn loaded up with antibiotics and a big orange "M" painted on their hip and they sold and went straight to the packing plant. It would have taken 30 days to get the drugs out of some of them I'm pretty sure.

TexasBred":3hap23sw said:
Silver":3hap23sw said:
TexasBred":3hap23sw said:

Yet I myself have sent packer cows to the sale barn loaded up with antibiotics and a big orange "M" painted on their hip and they sold and went straight to the packing plant. It would have taken 30 days to get the drugs out of some of them I'm pretty sure.

".......sold and went straight to the packing plant."

How do you know that the carcass wasn't condemned? Possibly went to dog-food? Just asking.

As for the consumer and health folks wanting to reduce resistance, they need to look a lot closer at the people who have been prescribed antibiotics! I know MANY, who do NOT take for the full 10 days, or whatever regimen they've been instructed to do. When I have explained to them the whole purpose and the possible damaging results of not following, they poo-poo it. Patients need to be held accountable as well.

And to ddd75 I know 4 producers, NOT hobby folks, producers that have been doing this for a living for at least 40 years, who will throw "Penicillin" at anything that goes off feed, acts sluggish, "don't look right". Keep in mind, a few of them still believe in 'Hollow Horn' and "Hollow Tail'.

Bright Raven":1s7vyoix said:
You might be surprised, or may not be, at the number of consumers that firmly believe commercial poultry is full of synthetic or otherwise human supplied growth hormones.

All those eye catching "no growth hormones added" labels make it sound as if the producer has recently done something 'new and improved' when growth hormones in poultry has been banned for at least the last 50 years in the USA.

"Hormone Free" is another misnomer. Every living thing, afaik produces hormones.

greybeard":8b82oo71 said:
Bright Raven":8b82oo71 said:
You might be surprised, or may not be, at the number of consumers that firmly believe commercial poultry is full of synthetic or otherwise human supplied growth hormones.

All those eye catching "no growth hormones added" labels make it sound as if the producer has recently done something 'new and improved' when growth hormones in poultry has been banned for at least the last 50 years in the USA.

"Hormone Free" is another misnomer. Every living thing, afaik produces hormones.
If they eat soybean meal, they are consuming a lot more hormones than they ever would get from what's added to the feed.

Workinonit Farm":6b1ac4qy said:
TexasBred":6b1ac4qy said:
Silver":6b1ac4qy said:

".......sold and went straight to the packing plant."

How do you know that the carcass wasn't condemned? Possibly went to dog-food? Just asking.

As for the consumer and health folks wanting to reduce resistance, they need to look a lot closer at the people who have been prescribed antibiotics! I know MANY, who do NOT take for the full 10 days, or whatever regimen they've been instructed to do. When I have explained to them the whole purpose and the possible damaging results of not following, they poo-poo it. Patients need to be held accountable as well.

And to ddd75 I know 4 producers, NOT hobby folks, producers that have been doing this for a living for at least 40 years, who will throw "Penicillin" at anything that goes off feed, acts sluggish, "don't look right". Keep in mind, a few of them still believe in 'Hollow Horn' and "Hollow Tail'.

They would have contacted the seller, I'm sure the owner would have had to refund the sales price and then settled for dog food price. May have even been a fine involved.

ddd75":3qw9kn5z said:
boondocks":3qw9kn5z said:

I don't hang out with hobby farmers so I don't know what they do.. I do know most of it is wrong.

But anyway.. I seriously doubt that a few hundred idiots are the ones driving this change. Out of millions of head of cattle, MOST in capable hands, I don't think they are looking at bob the hobby farmer. But maybe I'm wrong.. Those type of idiots do ruin everything usually.

Well, I guess I don't look at whether someone is a "hobby" farmer or a "non-hobby" farmer. I look at whether they know what they're talking about. I think I can learn things from people who have good animal husbandry knowledge. That often includes CT members who may be "between cattle" or retired from it, but still have a lot of wisdom. I try to look for the things I have in common with people. It's less agitating (usually!) :tiphat:

Latest posts