Not a good start!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I went to work yesterday and about midday got a phone call that our first calf had arrived. Normally I would be real excited to hear this but not on August 20th we usually start calving the heifers about mid September and really get fired off by the first week of October and finish up by the middle of November. So what the heck happened? Last year one of my favorite cows (I have pictured her on this forum) Fink Pride 065 we penned her up after she calved because she was a bit gimpy and we wanted to make sure she was ok, we left her short penned where we could AI her instead of natural service for fear of an injury (she is getting old and we want to flush her) I have no record of any bull getting into a pen with her, but aparently someone did cause based on her AI date she was due to calve on Oct 10th. This calf is no way premature 75 pound bull calf so DNA is in his future. That was just the beginning of a really bad day, the next phone call was to tell me that 416H was dead....wth I checked the cows myself on Sat. She was out grazing looking really good for an almost 15year old cow. I don't have a clue what happened to her, she was not trying to calve, I guess she could of just had a heart attack loseing one like her is like loseing an old and trusted friend, sometimes life just gives you lemons and yesterday was one of them. The only good thing I can find is 065 should be in good shape to flush this year for sure.

I am sorry about your start. I got your message a couple of days ago I will give you a call this week thanks for getting back with me so soon!

376603_463611073671566_195760316_n.jpg

The week started out bad and it doesn't look like it is going to get much better! Did I mention we have about 50 acres of hay on the ground...oh heck yea a really great week!

Gizmom

Could 416h have been hit by lightning? Jogeephus has a thread about losing several of his to lightning strikes very recently.

Graybeard

We have sure considered lighting, the fence charger was blown (again) so it is a possibility. When Lance found her she was in the middle of the field no sign of struggle not a mark on her just dead. Ronnie thinks she could of had a heart attack, she was a 15 year old cow that looked 6. Like I said when we herd checked on Saturday she was out grazing looking fat and happy, we checked heifers on Sunday but ran out of time to get to the older cows. To be honest the only time we check the older cows on Sunday is during calving season and that isn't suppose to start for another month in that pasture. We have been having severe thunderstorms almost daily so we can't rule lighting out she could have been standing near a strike.

Gizmom

Latest posts