No scrotum

Help Support CattleToday:

Patient Spider

Reaction score
OK, here's the deal...

My first ever calf was born 2 weeks ago. He has a penis but absolutely nothing in terms of a scrotum.

I presume he has testes in his abdomen.

He is destined for the freezer anyways, he'll never be a breeder. So do I absolutely have to have a vet come out and castrate him? Is that going to be expensive? I was hoping to keep him over the winter to have real beef, not baby beef. But I don't want to keep a bull. I don't think our fences are good enough to keep a bull and I don't want the attitude either.

What would you do? Butcher him early or call the vet?

He's a limousine/simmental/charolais cross

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Patient Spider":19ivv7ha said:
OK, here's the deal...

My first ever calf was born 2 weeks ago. He has a penis but absolutely nothing in terms of a scrotum.

He is destined for the freezer anyways, he'll never be a breeder. So do I absolutely have to have a vet come out and castrate him? Is that going to be expensive? I was hoping to keep him over the winter to have real beef, not baby beef. But I don't want to keep a bull. I don't think our fences are good enough to keep a bull and I don't want the attitude either.

He has a penis at 2 weeks? Wow, has he had an erection? How would you know otherwise?
Band him now and feed him about 12-16 months. He'll be ready to eat then.
I gots to know about the name "Patient Spider"?

MikeC, perhaps you should read the question before you post your answer. What is she going to band the calf has no scrotum!

MikeC":2nqw9sgs said:
Patient Spider":2nqw9sgs said:
OK, here's the deal...

He has a penis at 2 weeks? Wow, has he had an erection? How would you know otherwise?
Band him now and feed him about 12-16 months. He'll be ready to eat then.
I gots to know about the name "Patient Spider"?

LOL
Mike I've seen where the pee comes out. I'd have to assume he has a penis... he definately doesn't have a vulva like his mom has.

I mean, yeah I'm green and new to cattle but gee I think I know a little bit about anatomy :)

Latest posts