Newbie! Questions... Please don't shoot me!

Help Support CattleToday:

I would not recommend putting horses with cattle. The horses do tend to chase the cows away, but I haven't witnessed any kicking. A miniature cow is a cow who is 42 inches or under at 3 years of age. They tend to eat less than a regular sized cow because they are so much smaller. As for books, I would read Getting Started with Beef and Dairy Cattle by Heather Smith Thomas. It talks all about the fundamentals for choosing the breed, breeding, calving issues, health problems, and quite a bit more.
:welcome:

Dad ran horses with his cows all the time . I would think that beef cows would bee a better fit . You can buy a lot of milk for what it will cost to keep a milk cow . With raising beef one could be butchered or sold to help off set the cost of feed and hay . I would guess 2 to 3 acres of grass per head would be enough to keep them spring thru fall . Then you need to find a source of hay for the winter months. It take more grass to keep a horse that a cow . I feel they are harder on pasture than cows. Either one or both are enjoyable to have around. have fun rj.

jedstivers":3lpvi73n said:
Don't let the crusty old bas+ards bother you, they mean well and also have a lot of knowledge. Instead of asking all these questions at once just hang out here and read and when you have something to offer on a topic throw it in and when you read something that you want to know the answer to ask. You'll pick up a lot in a little bit. Your really going to have to have more of a idea of the place your going to have before you can decide anything.
Oh and horses really can live without being touched everyday. Millions do.

oh my that made me giggle, thanks, and i know they can but its not how i was taught horses and i don't think i could just leave a horse without checking on it and bringing it its daily food and checking waters...

thanks for the input

branguscowgirl":3v967ami said:
Winter, I admire you for trying to learn all that you can before you take on your new critters! :nod:
A lot will rest on the type of land that you purchase. You have received some good advice. Your Realtor should be up on the zoning for hoofed animals on the land that they show you. Where I am at, irrigation rights with the land is VERY important. With irrigation, I can grow good feed most of the year and it sure cuts down on buying hay. If you are like me, the improvements may be gradual to your chosen property to meet the needs of your livestock. (If not set-up for livestock when purchased.) Good luck, and look forward to hearing about your progress! :welcome:
thanks!!!

Backbone Ranch":1vlzv8wa said:
I would not recommend putting horses with cattle. The horses do tend to chase the cows away, but I haven't witnessed any kicking. A miniature cow is a cow who is 42 inches or under at 3 years of age. They tend to eat less than a regular sized cow because they are so much smaller. As for books, I would read Getting Started with Beef and Dairy Cattle by Heather Smith Thomas. It talks all about the fundamentals for choosing the breed, breeding, calving issues, health problems, and quite a bit more.
:welcome:

rjbovine":4uvwoqbw said:
Dad ran horses with his cows all the time . I would think that beef cows would bee a better fit . You can buy a lot of milk for what it will cost to keep a milk cow . With raising beef one could be butchered or sold to help off set the cost of feed and hay . I would guess 2 to 3 acres of grass per head would be enough to keep them spring thru fall . Then you need to find a source of hay for the winter months. It take more grass to keep a horse that a cow . I feel they are harder on pasture than cows. Either one or both are enjoyable to have around. have fun rj.

I think i previously stated but a beef cow wouldn't work because my silly bo doesn't believe in butchering "pets" so if we had a cow it would live here for life so i figured fair because then it could live here and be productive at the same time :p

horses are very hard on pastures!

Do horses and cows need the same grade of hay or different? my current BO buys her hay by the trailer so I'm assuming i could do so when i get my own property, but all she does is horses so i don't know if cows have diff hay reqs

Winterose":6tdjxbnv said:
jedstivers":6tdjxbnv said:
Don't let the crusty old bas+ards bother you, they mean well and also have a lot of knowledge. Instead of asking all these questions at once just hang out here and read and when you have something to offer on a topic throw it in and when you read something that you want to know the answer to ask. You'll pick up a lot in a little bit. Your really going to have to have more of a idea of the place your going to have before you can decide anything.
Oh and horses really can live without being touched everyday. Millions do.

oh my that made me giggle, thanks, and i know they can but its not how i was taught horses and i don't think i could just leave a horse without checking on it and bringing it its daily food and checking waters...

thanks for the input
Dang if I had to carry feed to and check on one of those SOB's everyday I wouldn't have one. :lol:

Horses typically need better quality hay than cattle. Cattle are less picky than horses when it comes to what to eat.

Jed I made my money in HS working for a horse breeder/cattleman that had about 30 brood mares all they got was hay in the winter.
I fed 3 stud horses every day that were in high fence paddocks twice a day.
He had horses on the track in Fla. and Ca. .
Mr Wiggins had a wall full of trophies off those Quarter horses.
I got to ride some of the finest quarter horses in the country working cattle.
He had a 900 acre place, those brimmer girls see a horse trailer and dogs to woods they went.
He gave me a filly that the mare died foaling I raised on a bottle.
She was nice, sorrel red blaze face 3 stocking's with a sock. She was also a pest.
That girl would blow your feet out of the stirrups on that first lunge and clear a 4 foot fence without thinking about it.
That filly used to make my mom so mad she would jump the fence and be in her flowerbed waiting on me to get home
school. By the time I was a senior and if I ran out of gas money I would saddle her up and ride 10 miles to the Mrs. house.

All below is my opinion and mine alone - there will be many who disagree. In the end decisions you make will have far reaching consequences - good or bad - so have your ducks in a row before committing.

I also want to let you know that Caustic is a crusty old f@rt who sometimes speaks without thinking and people get offended - but he does know his stuff and he deserves to be listened to - however, do not hesitate to come to me with questions - as a new grandfather I have decided to try and change my ways - I am now the politically correct, overly polite type who will go out of his way to ensure you are treated kindly and gently.

As for most of the people who have responded to date - they all mean well but they tend to be overly "father-like" and can be a bit condescending at times - so simply sort the wheat from the chaff and enjoy the reading! LOL

I now await the rebuttals and I will greet them kindly as I am known to be that way!!!!!

My answers below:

Winterose":3kkw6ig2 said:
Hi Bez,

1. How does having horses and cows together go bad? I can always pasture separately I was just being hopeful :lol:

Sometimes horses will run cattle if they are bored and need some entertainment. And they always push the cows off the best grass - one bite from a horse and the cow will move - remember - they are animals and have no hesitation to kick and bite. Does not always happen - but it does happen. Someone in that field WILL be the boss and you can be sure it will not likely be the cow.

4. Since We're just looking for milk production for the two of us and some extended family 2 mini's would do us fine correct? We shouldn't need a full sized cow

I cannot answer that as I am simply a dumb cattle guy and have never worked minis

8. Rules being guidelines for being able to own cows on your own property, Aka acres needed, any sort of regulations and the such.

Horses are true b@st@rds on pasture - the best way to guarantee ruined pasture is to put horses in them. As for the amount of land - how much grass does it grow? Be ready to supplement with hay if grass does not grow well, or acres are tight. And remember - for someone like you, horses are a pure expense - the cheapest thing about a horse is the purchase price - after that all you do is pay. So best have the income to support them - and they are a bit more expensive than kids when all is said and done.

Bez, I have put down my location I live in CT, Connecticut USA I assumed all knew the abbreviation i apologize,

I have responded to everyone here so far, I apologize if i am not quick in my responses and i am not on the forum all the time...

Winter

Enjoy the remainder of weekend

Be safe

Bez

snake67":27587b51 said:
as a new grandfather I have decided to try and change my ways - I am now the politically correct, overly polite type who will go out of his way to ensure you are treated kindly and gently.
I now await the rebuttals and I will greet them kindly as I am known to be that way!!!!!

Bez

:bs: :)

Cabo":rt09pyq7 said:
snake67":rt09pyq7 said:
as a new grandfather I have decided to try and change my ways - I am now the politically correct, overly polite type who will go out of his way to ensure you are treated kindly and gently.

Bez

Oh are you in for an education.
I have 8 of those T shirts and pretty sure we have a great one in the oven.

Winterose":2wa9h7ih said:
Tim/South":2wa9h7ih said:
Owning a milk cow will get old after a short time. The cow has to be milked twice a day or you will have udder/health issues. Milk cows have been bred for centuries to produce milk. Their life function is to make milk. The milker has to be as dedicated in removing the milk as the cow is in producing it. I grew up hand milking cows. You can toss any social life out the window.
You will need a place under roof to milk the cow and keep feed and other farm items.

Thank you for your post although i don't see how having to milk a cow twice a day would totally ruin my social life (Not that i have much of one) We were going to have a barn for the horses so we were going to keep everything there for all of our critters. :D
I did not mind the actual milking part. What I grew to detest was not getting to go with my family to the lake because I milked for my grandparents. I could not get sick, could not spend the night at a friends house, could not go to afternoon ball games.
It will not be as difficult with just one cow. You can find a neighbor to milk if you need. You would also have the down time when the cow is dry.
When your daily schedule revolves around being home every morning and afternoon to milk, some of the luster fades.

Caustic Burno":1nhqsxt3 said:
Cabo":1nhqsxt3 said:
snake67":1nhqsxt3 said:

Bez

Oh are you in for an education.
I have 8 of those T shirts and pretty sure we have a great one in the oven.

LOL, I wasn't questioning the grandfather part as I have 9, I was questioning the "greet the rebuttals kindly" part. Does anyone on here think ole Bez is going to change?

Cabo":2ohsas2d said:
snake67":2ohsas2d said:

Bez

I have not been around long, but even I know that this one is a stretch! :lol:

Winter, just my :2cents:
I run certain horses with my cattle just fine. I have for many years. Some of mine don't bother the cattle at feeding time at all. But as already stated, some will. A lot will depend on the animal. I definitely do not let them calve with horses in the pasture. Too much risk of calf getting kicked or stepped on.

Latest posts