New vs. Used (Part II)

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to death ( :deadhorse: ), but I want to put another spin on it. New vs. Used. Conventional wisdom, or often offered advice, is to buy used equipment.

Looking at used tractors (2 to 6 years old, maybe even older) they are selling for about what they sold for new. I have a JI Case that I bought new in 1983 that is selling right now for what I paid new.

With a new tractor I get a 3 to 5 years warranty, maybe free financing and no worries or breakdowns.

Buying used I get a tractor that may or may not be well maintained and is likely to have one or more mechanical issues.

If I do buy new I am almost guaranteed to get my money back if I sell it (this is most likely true for used too).

Why should I buy used?

When we bought our tractor, we bought a used one because we paid cash for it. We did not want a monthly note.
I forget, why are you selling the tractor you have now?

Depends on the dela as to if it ourways the other points, but used is less up front money.

Used prices are record high, because Ag has been in overdrive for several years. Plus, the price of new ones supports the price of used.
This won't last forever, so don't place a bet that new will always be worth more and more. Look at what your per hour cost of use will be and whether that will be sustainable in your operation.

I have always bought used, except when I started out doing my own & custom baling. Then I wanted the warranty, etc with the new one. I would say that unless you are going to be doing custom baling or a bunch of haying or working the land where you are spending alot of time on your tractor, then go with a used one.

If your talking small equipment then just buy new, less worry. But for larger stuff (combines, field cultivators, 200 hp tractors, ect.) the decision gets harder. If you got enough acres, and like having the dealership work on your stuff (which can be a hassle) then buy new, but if you are like our farm we try to buy high grade used equipment. We it's old enough that we know how to work on it and the parts are cheaper than new, and used parts are easier to find. If you can find a good deal then just buy used. Like the CASE IH 2166 combine i've been running the last couple months. Bought it last year with only 1250 engine hours and 880 hour on the thresher that was a pretty lucky find so we jumped on it, and if we went and bought a new of the same size we would've had to pay $100,000 more. So when picking between new or used..search around and don't just buy on a whim unless you got money to lose.

HDRider":2w626prg said:
Why should I buy used?
TOP TEN:

1) Plan to resell it soon.
2) Don't have the extra $
3) Don't use it enough
4) You are a mechanic
5) Your neighbor is a mechanic.
6) You need more reasons to build the dream shop :nod:
7) Your kids will use it
8) Your neighbors will use it
9) You need more cows
and last but not least 10) Your wife is still pissed about the new truck :banana:

I bought a new Kubota last year after looking at several used tractors. It was the first new tractor I've ever bought. My primary reason for buying a new one was because of zero percent financing. When I figured the money I would save buying an older tractor and then paying the bank interest, the end price wasn't much different. Tractors are holding their value pretty well right now. A tractor 2 to 6 years old is not going to be much cheaper than a new one unless it has alot of hours on it. If you can find a tractor a few years older than that in good shape, it might be a different story.

Thanks everyone. I can always count on the board for common sense answers, and a little humor....

Latest posts