New to me truck

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
So, been looking for a new to me 3/4 ton 4wd. Scoured the web and found a 2012 crewcab ford powerstroke with 130k miles, priced 3k below avg market. I don't need a crewcab, or the diesel, but hey a deals a deal. Drove 80 miles, to look and drive,at a dealer. I knew it had some bed damage that didn't concern me cause I wanted to put a bale bed on. Get there ,drive it, drove good, ran good, but there was quite a bit more wear in the seat, the good tires in the web pictures had been swapped, and the thing smelled like an ashtray. I smoke, not much anymore but I do. So we start haggling and are getting close, but I had a couple more that I wanted to check out before I made a purchase and planned the route accordingly. I tell the salesman, a nice guy, that I want to think it over and look at the other 2 I had planned to look at, before making a decision. He says , Ok, but I have to inform my manager, whatever. Here comes cousin Vinny, the only thing missing is the gold chain and medallion, who proceeds to tell me about his phone app that can scan a vin and tell who has the lowest price in 60 miles blahblahblah, and hands me a readout of all comparable vehicles. I bristled, because I HAD already seen those vehicles, with the heated seats and leather, which I don't need, his was an XL truck and he was comparing it to xlt's and lariats! I thought about draggin him across the desk, but just gave him an earfull and walked out.

Is the 2012 a 6.4 Powerstroke? Not one of their best products and there is a reason it only lasted a few years before the 6.7 came out. Walk no run away from the 6.4.....Get the 6.7.

This is coming from a guy that has driven Powerstokes since 1996
1996 7.3 (280k miles),
2004 6.0 (that some didn't like, 260k Miles) and now a
2017 6.7 BEAST (52K miles).

Philip-TX":1lnn8gtq said:
Is the 2012 a 6.4 Powerstroke? Not one of their best products and there is a reason it only lasted a few years before the 6.7 came out. Walk no run away from the 6.4.....Get the 6.7.

This is coming from a guy that has driven Powerstokes since 1996
1996 7.3 (280k miles),
2004 6.0 (that some didn't like, 260k Miles) and now a
2017 6.7 BEAST (52K miles).
It was a 6.7

I hate sales tactics like that. I just walk, I aint dealing with that kind of stupid stuff. I believe 2011 was the first yr of the 6.7 Powerstroke

If you're buying a black long box and put a deck on, just send the box up to me. My original only made it 600 miles before it tangled up with my horse trailer.

The early 6.7s had some issues. Turbos and glow plugs mainly. 14+ are the good ones.

TCRanch":27cz3aox said:
Snoop, there's a 2017 Ford F350 Super Duty Super Cab · XL Pickup 4D 8 ft with a Deweze bale bed in Udall, KS for $40K & a 2012 Lariat in Howard, KS (closer to you) for $34,900.
A little out of my budget, I brought a 2013 home yesterday with the 6.2. Hauled a load of hay today and I'm happy with the power, got a few kinks to work out though as far as the airbags on the rear go, but I'm pretty happy, hope its a good one.

TennesseeTuxedo":3pc8ytg7 said:
snoopdog":3pc8ytg7 said:

Nice! I like that bale hauler as well.
Thanks, the bale wagon was a freak deal at a junk/antique auction, mostly junk. It was pouring down rain and the neighbor brought it after about half the crowd had left, I had no intention of buying it, as I had just bought another trailer, but as marlon said, it was a deal I couldn't refuse.

snoopdog":2tapcfwp said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2tapcfwp said:
snoopdog":2tapcfwp said:

Nice! I like that bale hauler as well.
Thanks, the bale wagon was a freak deal at a junk/antique auction, mostly junk. It was pouring down rain and the neighbor brought it after about half the crowd had left, I had no intention of buying it, as I had just bought another trailer, but as marlon said, it was a deal I couldn't refuse.

I've got an in-line trailer that looks just like that one. As long as I'm in the cow business, money can't buy it. When I was growing up my two brothers and I would take a 12', single axle landscape trailer with a tailgate....back up to the bale in the field.....let the gate down......roll the bale on the trailer......let the gate up......go to the next bale and repeat. 2 per trip. About 120 per year. Roll them off by hand as well. Didn't own a tractor. I'm so proud of my front end loader and in-line trailer that words can't express. I earned it. But I'm also thankful that we had to do it the hard way growing up bc it makes me appreciate what I have today. Nice rig Snoop!