New SUV What make and model?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
My husband just bought himself a new Dodge 1 ton not the mega cab because he can't have a short box; and to eleviate my dismay I get a new vehicle too.I have a really good 3/4 ton diesel pickup truck that I love but is now 8 years old and a smaller vehicle would be nice for driving around the city and better milage plus all the added safety features.I would still keep my pick up to haul and other things but I have 20 different SUV's in mind that might be good.

I have looked at dodge and the Nitro looks and sounds decent but the milage is horrible.The Toyota you cannot go wrong but I am a little frugle.The Lincoln Navigatior very nice but $$ same as the Caddy" Escalade"?$$$ SO I am looking at the Mitsubishi Outlander.I really like the milage the power and the warranty.
I know you all are going to ride me because it is an import but I really hate the Blazers and the Durangos.And was told that if I wanted a Ford I was on my own.
So do you have anything to add about SUV's the good makes that are priced appropriately?

Thanx Hillsdown

well i have a mistubishi montero sport from my college days and i have abused it pretty well on the farm. the engine has blown in it and the FWD doesnt kick in like it is supposed to anymore. i'm getting a new engine put in and if all goes accordingly i plan to keep it for ever b/c i like it that much.

We have an 04 Durango. Very comfortable, good milage, plenty of power, and will go anywhere in the snow and ice.

hillsdown":2bp6y43d said:
My husband just bought himself a new Dodge 1 ton not the mega cab because he can't have a short box; and to eleviate my dismay I get a new vehicle too.I have a really good 3/4 ton diesel pickup truck that I love but is now 8 years old and a smaller vehicle would be nice for driving around the city and better milage plus all the added safety features.I would still keep my pick up to haul and other things but I have 20 different SUV's in mind that might be good.

I have looked at dodge and the Nitro looks and sounds decent but the milage is horrible.The Toyota you cannot go wrong but I am a little frugle.The Lincoln Navigatior very nice but $$ same as the Caddy" Escalade"?$$$ SO I am looking at the Mitsubishi Outlander.I really like the milage the power and the warranty.
I know you all are going to ride me because it is an import but I really hate the Blazers and the Durangos.And was told that if I wanted a Ford I was on my own.
So do you have anything to add about SUV's the good makes that are priced appropriately?

Thanx Hillsdown

You sound like you been having good luck with chrysler products..........why not a 4 door jeep or the commander....................good luck

HAY MAKER":1prntv2u said:
hillsdown":1prntv2u said:

Thanx Hillsdown

You sound like you been having good luck with chrysler products..........why not a 4 door jeep or the commander....................good luck

I think them new Jeep Wrangler 4 doors are pretty cool looking. We looked at a durango once I liked the extra seat the had in back but did not like the leg room it had in the back seats. My 16 year old is 6'4" and would be tight for taller kids or adults.

I do not like them little Chevy blazers but I like the larger Suburbans and Yukon.

If imports are not an issue, Toyota offers a couple different sizes of SUV's price and gas mileage vary based on which one you pick.

I Looked hard at SUV's a few years ago and ended up going the soccer mini van route. But the two I considered the hardest was the Toyota and Mitsubishi I thought them were the two best looking of the bunch.

hillsdown":h0pctxqp said:
The Toyota you cannot go wrong but I am a little frugle. was told that if I wanted a Ford I was on my own.

Thanx Hillsdown

Ford Escape got good reviews when it first came out. In Toyota, I know the Highlander is Camry based so it's going to be pretty good on fuel and maintenance. If you hate it there will be someone wanting to buy it. Yeah, they cost more up front, but it's cost per mile driven you want to watch. Besides, hubby got the primo pickup, didn't he. (Stirring the pot, shouldn't do that) :lol: Both of those are "crossovers", SUV's built on front wheel drive car chassis. They don't have a low range in the gears, if you go off road very often. But if mileage and softer ride are what you want, they are good. Price--I generally like to get a ballpark price off the net and then go see a couple dealers.

Parents just got an 05' Lincoln Nav about a year ago now, loaded with all the goodies, they are sweet rigs but 15mpg at best and your right they are very $$$, the Aviator might be worth looking at

Thank you to all that have responded and by the way hubby said if he could he would put rocket launchers on an SUV (actually he said Hummer) but it just isn't going to happen.I think we will take a trip to Calgary to look at the Mitsubushi's this weekend if all goes well.
The other half of us has to take his citizenship test Wednesday finally after waiting 22 months from the initial applying.
The big thing is if the MS breaks down and the nearest dealership in 2 hours away how convenient will it be to get things fixed.
Will keep ya posted and I would love the really fancy Navigator etc. but I really want a new corral system with all the bells and whistles.

Thanx HD

If a new SUV was possible I'd be hard pressed to walk away from the Diesel Expedition. A couple of friends have them and they treat them like an Abrams main battle tank and then drive them to church on Sunday. I've seen one of them with a ton of feed in the back a couple of times.Z

MillIronQH":1h3a081l said:
If a new SUV was possible I'd be hard pressed to walk away from the Diesel Expedition. A couple of friends have them and they treat them like an Abrams main battle tank and then drive them to church on Sunday. I've seen one of them with a ton of feed in the back a couple of times.Z

Never knew there was any newer type SUV's out there with Diesels in them. Seen some older Suburbans with them.

Do they use the same power stroke motor that is in the Ford Trucks? Or is it a special motor just for the Expedition?

Naw, the Expedition doesn't come with a diesel. Maybe you are thinking about the Excursion? It's built on the F250 frame so it is not small by any means.

Those that know me will tell ya I would be hard pressed to recommend anything other than a Jeep or a Ford. :lol:

Well Mr. Hillsdown's truck arrived today and I got to finally see it.He left out a few key points when telling me which options he went for. :eek: It is LOADED to the hilt.Almost every option imaginable except the DVD player in the back seat.

The gloves are off and he has just upped the anti. I think my first options of SUV's were a little to low in price; now I am thinking Hummer. ;-)
Will keep all posted and any opinions are welcome.Keep in mind he gets a new vehicle every 2-3 years and I am still driving my old one :( .
Hillsdown

Wife has a 01 chevy tahoe. I have an 05 dodge 4x4 3500 and a 4x4 toyota tacoma as a run around truck, In my honest opinion you cant beat a toyota product.

hillsdown":25stn1qc said:
Will keep all posted and any opinions are welcome.Keep in mind he gets a new vehicle every 2-3 years and I am still driving my old one :( .
Hillsdown

Dang, I get a new TO ME vehicle ever decade or two :(

Go and drive a Honda Ridgeline. My wife wante a Pilot but fell in love with Ridgeline. Go drive one...you won't be disappionted

flaboy?":1x9wi76i said:
Naw, the Expedition doesn't come with a diesel. Maybe you are thinking about the Excursion? It's built on the F250 frame so it is not small by any means.

Those that know me will tell ya I would be hard pressed to recommend anything other than a Jeep or a Ford. :lol:

Yea.. It could be the Excursion. There are so many different models around anymore I can't keep them straight. I know they have 16", 8 hole wheels on them and aren't in my budget. I've been looking around for a nice used Explorer but right now even that is out of the picture.Z

MillIronQH":17ymb1qh said:
flaboy?":17ymb1qh said:

Yea.. It could be the Excursion. There are so many different models around anymore I can't keep them straight. I know they have 16", 8 hole wheels on them and aren't in my budget. I've been looking around for a nice used Explorer but right now even that is out of the picture.Z

Them excursions are beast. Friends have one. I forget but I think you have three rows of seats behind the driver. Can haul like 12 people in them.

If gas prices were not they way they are I would own one as a family vehicle. Your family would be about as protected as if they were in a tank.

You could also easily pull a 16 ft Stock trailer loaded down.

Latest posts