New Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

Priefert head gates are available with or without the auto catch. Wouldn;'t have one without it. If your chute doesn;t have auto catch you can change out the non-auto catch headgate for the one with it simply by taking out a couple of bolts and putting the other one in.

dun":2unp2e5f said:
Priefert head gates are available with or without the auto catch. Wouldn;'t have one without it. If your chute doesn;t have auto catch you can change out the non-auto catch headgate for the one with it simply by taking out a couple of bolts and putting the other one in.

I have a older Priefert with both auto and manual head. But,, I have a heck of a time with the auto gate. They don't get away it just seems like its awful hard to trip. I really don't like the foot lever for the squeeze. Any advise. B&G

Black and Good":1gho2i09 said:
dun":1gho2i09 said:

I have a older Priefert with both auto and manual head. But,, I have a heck of a time with the auto gate. They don't get away it just seems like its awful hard to trip. I really don't like the foot lever for the squeeze. Any advise. B&G
I hate that "shin knocker" on the older chutes. Don;t recall the auto part on the older chutes, it may be different then the newer ones. On the newer ones I set it up so that the pin and the bar that it rests on for the auto are just barely engaged. Most times it trips if the how tocuhes the neck bars. Most of our older cows just walk up and stick their heads through and don;t touch them so I have to reach up and tap the handle to get it to trip.

dun":6g7sbhfy said:

Might have to check out the Priefert when the next lotto check comes in. Have a WW chute now but the auto head catch system takes some messing with each time you run a cow through. Also, the head gate is not easy to adjust for width.

James T":1psms8hf said:
dun":1psms8hf said:

Might have to check out the Priefert when the next lotto check comes in. Have a WW chute now but the auto head catch system takes some messing with each time you run a cow through. Also, the head gate is not easy to adjust for width.

That is another plus for the Priefert, you never have to adjust for neck size.

Dun, my auto catch is just like yours. Let me ask you one question: Do you wish they made one more hole on the slide at the top to set it wider? I do. Some of my cows stop at the gate because the opening looks too small or at least that is what I think they think!

inyati13":327e0ecw said:
Dun, my auto catch is just like yours. Let me ask you one question: Do you wish they made one more hole on the slide at the top to set it wider? I do. Some of my cows stop at the gate because the opening looks too small or at least that is what I think they think!
I cheat and use the end of the plate with the holes in it.

dun":2fhx4sum said:
inyati13":2fhx4sum said:

Sweet. I checked that out today. It is like adding a third hole. Thanks.

inyati13":1bz8rwc0 said:
dun":1bz8rwc0 said:
inyati13":1bz8rwc0 said:

Sweet. I checked that out today. It is like adding a third hole. Thanks.
Exactly. I use it for all of the 2 year olds on up.

Dun,

I have a new Priefert squeeze chute and I've had the hardest time get the auto catch to work. I set it but it won't trip. Is there anything I need to grease to make it trip easier?

Kyle

tnwalkingred":3kpf3qqx said:
Dun,

I have a new Priefert squeeze chute and I've had the hardest time get the auto catch to work. I set it but it won't trip. Is there anything I need to grease to make it trip easier?

Kyle

Try just barely putting the pin in the hole or the end whichever is right for the head size. Mine trips if they touch it at all. I have the neck extender and the auto catch helps get their neck in the proper position for the gate to close. Manually, I tend to close the gate too quickly and catch their ears in the extender.

Cabo":1o1v5wnk said:
tnwalkingred":1o1v5wnk said:
Dun,

Kyle

Try just barely putting the pin in the hole or the end whichever is right for the head size.
That;s how I set mine up too, works great.

Picture=thousand words
s5gv3a.jpg

I've been listening to y'all and I found a SO4 that I'm seriously considering. Ron, anything you don't like about yours besides the missing hole? This video makes it looks like there's no work to it.

http://youtu.be/OsMSQQMkgxs
[youtube]OsMSQQMkgxs[/youtube]

I've got a question about the " turn" in the picture that Ron posted. I like that radius but wonder if I'm going to have trouble with my alley. I just got a Priefert head gate and I'm a post or 2 away from trying it out. My " corner" from a catch pen is alot tighter. Is that going to be trouble?

TNWALKINGRED:

Not only do set the autocatch. When you engage the holem on the sizing slide just barely engage it on the end of the pin. Also, yes, the head gate and intire chute should be properly lubricated. I use grease and oil depending on every hinge. Try putting a little heavy grease on the pins. That might help. I have never had mine not trip. My chute is well lubed and I wash it after every use.

SLICK:

I like my chute. There is a bar they have to step over to enter the chute. It is a rail the tail gate slides on. Cattle that go through the second time don't seem to let it bother them. I am learning that cattle are far more cerebral than generally given credit! But I cannot say I have found anything negative to comment on.

KINGFISHER:

A tight corner after leaving the catch pen/sweep tub to enter the alley is not ideal. A handling facility was designed by a woman who studied cattle behavior. I have read some about her. The concept was to get cattle moving and then swing they around in the opposite direction so they are not shy of knowing just where they are headed. I cannot say that is why it works because I believe after they have gone through one a few times, they know what is coming and some don't enjoy the experience. But my opinion is that a sharp corner before they enter the alley is not ideal. I notice when mine go through the sweep tub (I have a crowding pen that leads into the sweep tub), they sometimes balk going into the alley. But most of my balks occur just before they enter the palp cage. I have a hot stick that I sometimes have to use to get them into the chute. I like it better than twisting tails or hitting.

inyati13":3rh2x7kq said:
I made another hole in the auto catch on my preifert and it works good for the larger cows and bulls. With the third hole some of the cows heads were to big so the extra hole fixed that. I filed and oiled all the catch points to make them work smooth and slick. Also having it under roof prevents it from rusting an not working properly. I catch my cows by myself and it works good, but a hot stick helps as some of the old cows want to take their time going in. :lol2: The only thing I wish the Priefert had that I have seen on some is a thick heavy duty rubber mate on the floor, as I have had some once in the head gate fall from not having good non slick footing.

sh8k.jpg

v32e.jpg

Latest posts