New Smoker

Help Support CattleToday:

Wewild

Reaction score
My new smoker is on it's way from Douglas GA by way of Tifton. Had a buddy pick it up when he was down there. I can't wait.

smoker.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to season it and play a little. Don't have anything planned.

Next weekend it will be a couple of butts.

Yes you will need to play with it a little to learn it but going on a hunch I'm going to bet that once you close the dampers down its going to hold about 225-250 degrees as long as you toss three sticks of wood to it every 50 minutes. If that's the case then you probably need to pick up some cornish hens and some dales seasoning and emerse the birds in the seasoning just before you start seasoning the grill. Once you've seasoned it and played with the temps toss the birds on the smoker so your wife won't think you have lost your mind dragging a contraption into the yard like that. One taste and she will know you are a wise bird. ;-)

Looks like a good one, congrats! If the metal is heavy gauge as it looks it should hold a temp real well. The 2 door design is nice for not letting all the heat out when you check food too.

Thanks to all.

Oiled her up real good and am in the mist of giving her a good cure and steam bath. She does purty good on side to side temp within 20 degrees when climbing and within 5 when stable. She is a little ugly but she heats good so far and was priced right. Can't wait till next weekend.

Picture from home with new gauges. She is a little heavy in the rear.

DSCN2897.jpg

Wewild":2j7s8t8x said:

DSCN2897.jpg

Good looking smoker, bring it up the 21st, we have to cook 150 Boston butts for the church.

You say the price was right--Could you elaborate a little.

I've been shopping for a very similar rig, with a nice-sized firebox and a cooking area around 24" x 48" , but without the trailer, just some pretty good sized iron wheels so it can be moved around the yard if necessary. About the best I've come across so far is something around $1800.

Wewild":1cubqqxv said:

I would say so, with you having a jack under the back end. Give it a little time, and you'll figure out how to make it work without the jack. Still..... a good looking rig!

grannysoo":1v47qgm2 said:
Wewild":1v47qgm2 said:

I would say so, with you having a jack under the back end. Give it a little time, and you'll figure out how to make it work without the jack. Still..... a good looking rig!

Easy fix. Axle is too far forward and needs to be moved back as far as possible. Essentially you want the leaf at the end of the frame and this will put about 10% tongue weight. If you are concerned about the heat hurting your tires you can weld a piece of flat steel as a heat deflector on the fire box.

Jogeephus":1x87dtra said:
grannysoo":1x87dtra said:
Wewild":1x87dtra said:

Easy fix. Axle is too far forward and needs to be moved back as far as possible. Essentially you want the leaf at the end of the frame and this will put about 10% tongue weight. If you are concerned about the heat hurting your tires you can weld a piece of flat steel as a heat deflector on the fire box.

Yep. Center of balance is off. Either move the axle or just put a counter weight on the tonque. For me, that decision would depend how often you plan to haul it anywhere.

I had to jump on it. The supplier may have been hurting. My cousin bought it for me when I saw his at the family reunion recently and told him I wanted one like his for the price. 84" x 24" for $1200 with a different reverse flow setup as it is not welded in. It has three sections (that are removable and can be used for grilling) that slide to form the diverter which forces the smoke down the chamber.

She isn't real purty when you are up close but her temp was easy to manage from a magnitude standpoint and from side to side as well.

The center of balance is defiantly off as well as the fit on the fire box. It came several hundred miles away from Tifton running 80 and pulled well with some wood in the front chamber and she is easy to move around by yourself.

Auburn_Ag":3a5d59ze said:
Good looking smoker, bring it up the 21st, we have to cook 150 Boston butts for the church.

I'll shoot you some pics of the inside this weekend. Your fabrication looks much better. Good luck with the Church cooking.

We pulled it out last weekend with a barn burning 3rd quarter. It gives me hope for the one after next.

Wewild":2tr0xaxd said:
She isn't real purty when you are up close

Never knew too many things that could cook real well that were. ;-) I'd have jumped on it too. Looks like you did well. We expect to see some Q shortly. :nod:

Wonder why they didnt put the chimney on the opposite end from the fire box? That would work better IMO for temp regulation and help out on one end being heavier also but it looks great other than that to me. Also both of mine have a damper on the end of the fire box and on top of the chimney. I can set it at 225 and keep it close to there for hours.

Circle H Ranch

Bet it's got a steel plate running most of the length of the pit underneath the meat the forces the heat and smoke to go down the pit and back to the other end to exit the smoke stack. That's how mine's made. Mount you about a 20-30 gallon tank on the front of the pit for holding water. That would give you a bit of a counter balance to the heavy rear end.

TexasBred":b1rv73ha said:
Bet it's got a steel plate running most of the length of the pit underneath the meat the forces the heat and smoke to go down the pit and back to the other end to exit the smoke stack.

It is a reverse flow that actually has 3 heavy gauge metal pans instead of a fixed plate with a drip channel. They are removable and can be used to hold charcoal for grilling.

Cattleman200":1znz8fzb said:
Wonder why they didnt put the chimney on the opposite end from the fire box? That would work better IMO for temp regulation and help out on one end being heavier also but it looks great other than that to me. Also both of mine have a damper on the end of the fire box and on top of the chimney. I can set it at 225 and keep it close to there for hours.

Circle H Ranch

See above post. This one did well on a burn I did this past weekend. Looking forward to this weekend for the real test. Reverse flows are purty neat after having smoked on cheaper regular smokers.

Latest posts