A new drink??

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
I had never had a martini until a few days ago. Could be that I did not buy the best brand ingredients, but I didn't know any better. We had guest and I just wanted to be certain that we had everything possible. Turns out nobody else drinks martinis. Who knew. So I'm "stuck" with this bottle of gin and vermouth, and had finished the olives (which I can make a meal of) a few days ago. So I decide rather than let these beverages get beyond their shelf life, I would figure a way to mix them in a way that I could ingest them, and they stay in. I mixed 10 parts gin with 1 part vermouth......nasty. No olives, so I found a jar of homemade bread-n-butter pickles. Found out they were more sweet-n-sour than what was written on the lid. I poured what I think amounted to 2 parts into to concoction and that livened it up a bit, but something was still missing. You guessed it.........BEER. A splash of Busch Light and I have a drink my wife even likes. I think we can make this gin and vermouth last until this weekend. Not sure about the pickle juice and beer. Just thought I'd pass this critical information along to other rednecks in the event you find yourself with the aforementioned martini ingredients and have that thought of giving it away, or attempting to use it to operate a small internal combustion engine.

I'll just have to take your word for it. I swore off gin almost 30 years ago. That was the sickest I've ever been.

Rafter S":1s9iw9c5 said:
I'll just have to take your word for it. I swore off gin almost 30 years ago. That was the sickest I've ever been.
I am with you. When this bottle is gone...........waste not want not........
Can't understand why our government savior could condone the sale of such a vile product, all the while placing stringent restrictions on such a tasty and pleasurable beverage such as the shine we so enjoy. I can say without reservation that good shine is my choice. Second would be good bourbon. After that, well, there are way too many third place contenders. I do enjoy beer, and there are a few wines I enjoy, but they must be dry with flavor, no sweet.

Ouachita":1zp7pqw9 said:
Rafter S":1zp7pqw9 said:
Can't understand why our government savior could condone the sale of such a vile product, all the while placing stringent restrictions on such a tasty and pleasurable beverage such as the shine we so enjoy. I can say without reservation that good shine is my choice. Second would be good bourbon. After that, well, there are way too many third place contenders. I do enjoy beer, and there are a few wines I enjoy, but they must be dry with flavor, no sweet.
Only wine I have tried is MD 2020 and im not sure that qualified.

Ouachita":1brofqxc said:
Rafter S":1brofqxc said:

I actually misspoke yesterday. I swore off all hard liquor back then. I like my beer, and a little wine occasionally, but that's it.

Gin (Tanqueray for me) and tonic with lime on ice.

No clue what good that vermouth might be.

Gin with cran-apple and a dash of sprite. We call it ripple. Used to drink a bunch of that playing golf. Wife likes gin and tonic. I make a manhattan with the vermouth every now and then. Rather just have the whiskey on ice but same as you want to get rid of the vermouth.

I got some Queen sized olives from Mezzetta that are brined in dry vermouth. They're pretty dang good. I actually ordered two leaded crystal martini glasses from Riedel to make some high class martinis with which I've never taken out of the box. I just eat the olives.

Well I took all the ingredients to the hangar today, and after 5pm we all had a drink. It was a "mixed" response. Everyone emptied their Dixie cups, but the "like" v. "Ok" ratio was about 50/50. The drink was appropriately named the "Fizzy Liver Pickler", and before we all wished one another a great weekend, several ask for the recipe. Of course that was after they were under the influence.
A side note: I have a great group of guys and gals that really enjoy their job. It's more than just a job. It's family.

houstoncutter":3srm8dbu said:
houstoncutter":3srm8dbu said:
No respectable redneck would be caught drinking martini's
Its beer or shine not shaken or stirred
I will not argue that HC. My definition of a mixed drink is bourbon or shine mixed with ice cubes. The only other mixed drink I have personally ask for is a margarita. This was all new to me because I wanted to entertain some guests, and wanted to make sure I was stocked up for whomever and whatever. My wife likes Long Island Iced Tea, but neither of us knew what it took to make it. It just happened that I had an unusually high ratio of gin left over. I guess you could say I was making lemonade. But I wholeheartedly agree with you. Unless I have special request in the future, I will never make that purchase again.
I will admit the finish line was fine. It is gone, solid gone as of a few minutes ago, and we have very thoroughly enjoyed ourselves thus far. Getting ready to hit the hay and see what else may be cached for us.

Ouachita":11pgznbh said:
houstoncutter":11pgznbh said:
houstoncutter":11pgznbh said:
No respectable redneck would be caught drinking martini's
Its beer or shine not shaken or stirred
I will not argue that HC. My definition of a mixed drink is bourbon or shine mixed with ice cubes. The only other mixed drink I have personally ask for is a margarita. This was all new to me because I wanted to entertain some guests, and wanted to make sure I was stocked up for whomever and whatever. My wife likes Long Island Iced Tea, but neither of us knew what it took to make it. It just happened that I had an unusually high ratio of gin left over. I guess you could say I was making lemonade. But I wholeheartedly agree with you. Unless I have special request in the future, I will never make that purchase again.
I will admit the finish line was fine. It is gone, solid gone as of a few minutes ago, and we have very thoroughly enjoyed ourselves thus far. Getting ready to hit the hay and see what else may be cached for us.

Well now, any drink that leads to that can't be all bad.... Cheers

I don't know why I'm sharing this? A good friend of mine, he's 46 and been married almost 25 years. He never really was a drinker. Occasionally, a beer drinker. Honestly , just a few times a year. He always said he hated the taste of alcohol. He bought some kind of fruity flavored beer about a year and a half ago. He must have really liked it. He has developed a pretty pronounced drinking problem------his wife has divorced him----------lost his job--------he has moved back in with his mother. He's barely even a shell of the man he once was.

Bigfoot":34vzmea0 said:
I don't know why I'm sharing this? A good friend of mine, he's 46 and been married almost 25 years. He never really was a drinker. Occasionally, a beer drinker. Honestly , just a few times a year. He always said he hated the taste of alcohol. He bought some kind of fruity flavored beer about a year and a half ago. He must have really liked it. He has developed a pretty pronounced drinking problem------his wife has divorced him----------lost his job--------he has moved back in with his mother. He's barely even a shell of the man he once was.
Bigfoot, you have a very good reason for mentioning this. Alcohol is nothing to play with, although that is how most of us who drink did start out. Alcohol is a drug, and I believe there is a time and place for everything under the sun, but people need to be mindful of how it effects them, not just while drinking or under the influence, but also how often throughout the day or week their mind wanders to the desire.
Me.......I'm a borderline alcoholic; meaning I think half of folks would think yes and half not. I drink almost every evening. But sometimes not for days. Such as beginning last, and likely thru this Friday, I will not drink any, none.
Great post Bigfoot, glad to brought it up.

Bigfoot":23d7dn5o said:
President of the bank I worded at did the same thing. Very intelligent hard working young man about 30 and started out as a social drinker and ended up drinking over a quart of scotch a day. Finally went and spent about 6 weeks in an alcoholic unit in a state hospita. Got out...got involved with AA and unless he's slipped he's been stone cold sober for about 25 years now. But sure killed off a lot of brain cells before he quit.

I really hesitated to post that, he was the only person, that I ever knew of to start drinking late in life. I know a few alcoholics, but they have been at it since they were teenagers. He really got drawn down in a short amount of time to. It actually hasn't been quit a year and half that he started, but he's been nonfunctional since about Christmas. Him and his wife, we're just working people like the rest of us. Had a nice little brick house, and a few acres. Lost it all, even his daughters horses.

Latest posts