New Smoker

Help Support CattleToday:

Jim62":2sfsj9j2 said:
What is the advantage of the reverse flow?

It comes down to what you want and like.

Some claim more even temperatures across the smoke chamber with a reverse flow.
Some claim more wood used in a reverse flow.

I have both and don't have much experience with the reverse flow but I like the concept and the internal design. My traditional smoker is a smaller cheaper model that did a good lob for me and will be used again.

This thread
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=49781&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
got me thinking about them.

Gotta ask - so what is that thing?? ( Modified Mark 48 torpedo?) :lol:

Is it a barbecue, can you prepare meals immediately or a day ahead or is it a long term food preservative type smoker?

I love barbecue and smoked fish, but I have never seen anything like that unit up here. Any "smokers" here are electric and you put wood chips in them to smoke food to preserve it.

AngusLimoX":tbhs16ix said:
Gotta ask - so what is that thing?? ( Modified Mark 48 torpedo?) :lol:

Is it a barbecue, can you prepare meals immediately or a day ahead or is it a long term food preservative type smoker?

I love barbecue and smoked fish, but I have never seen anything like that unit up here. Any "smokers" here are electric and you put wood chips in them to smoke food to preserve it.

I think she looks more like the Hunley.

I don't think it will cold smoke as you do. Cold smoking would be done the same way down here.

Here is a link.

http://www.pigroast.com/

This is Wilbur an inventeration that Flaboy helped me design. Its a reverse flow and a cool smoker/warmer/extremely slow cooker combo. The upright on the left is intended to smoke at the lower range of temps and is set upright for sausages and such. The main objective of this smoker was to turn a pecan limb and wild hog problem into an opportunity. Thus far it has worked well and we now look forward to picking up limbs and bless the pigs before certain meals.

IMG_3511.jpg

Jo I love that smoker. Flaboy done made an instruct-able on the web of it.

Thanks AC I was thinking about something like that as well.

AngusLimoX":2hnuh4pa said:
Any "smokers" here are electric and you put wood chips in them to smoke food to preserve it.

I've heard rumors of those electric units. Never seen one and have never used one.

Wewild is on the money with the even temp. No rotating meats around. Life is good.

Anyone seen the ones at TSC, sorta same concept as "The Hunley" but lighter/smaller and about $250.
My impression was that the metal was a bit light to keep the temp in, but I thought it might be worth a shot to see how much I would like it ( smoking ).

AngusLimoX":1z8eugct said:
Anyone seen the ones at TSC, sorta same concept as "The Hunley" but lighter/smaller and about $250.
My impression was that the metal was a bit light to keep the temp in, but I thought it might be worth a shot to see how much I would like it ( smoking ).

That is the type I have used and still have. It works fine. Mine is a Braunfels. Brinkman made a heavy duty version but it was over $400 if I recall correctly.

http://www.smokertips.com/images/new_br ... smoker.jpg

Wewild":1vl19ayo said:
AngusLimoX":1vl19ayo said:

That is the type I have used and still have. It works fine. Mine is a Braunfels. Brinkman made a heavy duty version but it was over $400 if I recall correctly.

http://www.smokertips.com/images/new_br ... smoker.jpg

Thanks Wewild, that looks like it. They had it stuffed in a "surplus" section of the store in a box, shoulda grabbed it when I was there.

You realize this newbie smoker operator will be buggin you and Jogee for recipes and advice!?!?

All the best in the New Year!

AngusLimoX":1wxyazk7 said:
You realize this newbie smoker operator will be buggin you and Jogee for recipes and advice!?!?

All the best in the New Year!

Happy New Year to you and yours.

I get alot of enjoyment from smoking on the grill. I can't put it into words.

Around here on occasions folks will stay up all night smoking whole hogs in the ground. Well it ain't in the ground anymore. They build a pit out of cinder blocks and take some 55 gallon drums with holes punched in the side that will face up and smash them mostly flat but leave enough space to shove fuel in. Start the fire and lay grates over the barrels supported by cinder blocks. Lay sheets of plywood over the pigs placed on the grates on the top of the cinder block wall. Drink beer all night and tend the fire. Eat pig a lunch the next day.

I am just learning. Jo is ahead of me but it don't mean I can't catch up if I try.

Wewild":tfzup8a6 said:
I am just learning. Jo is ahead of me but it don't mean I can't catch up if I try.

Don't know about me being ahead of anyone in anything. If this were true, it would only be by a sip of beer. I'm with you about getting enjoyment out of BBQ'ing. Its just good fun. Some people take it really seriously but we don't. AngusLimoX, I'll be more than happy to share anything I know and maybe we can compare notes on our quest for the perfect Q.

Here is a pic of a pit similar to what Wewild was talking about. The fire box is outside the shed with a chimney and there is a pit on each side of the fire box. In the firebox the logs are burned on a grate constructed rail road irons set about 18 inches off the floor. This allows you to shovel the embers and then they are tossed under the pit via holes on each end of the pit. On this day we had one pit full of chickens and the other was full of pork. Anyone that didn't have fun at this gathering had severe issues.

Picture22006.jpg

Latest posts