new mother horse problems

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My dad just bought a mare 3 months ago. after he bought her he found out she was pregnant. She was a very loveable and docile until she had the baby. now she won't let anyone near her she tries to bite, kick, and lung at us. We don't know what to do. Please help.

[email protected]

You didn't say how old the new foal is?? A mare that has just or recently foaled is protective of her baby. Some mares are more protective than others. This is a natural, normal instinct. Often, after a week or so (with your being near both of them 1+ times a day), the mare will began to trust you more. With only having the mare 3 months, you possibly have not completely earned her trust since you have owned her; and, you are possibly perceived as a "predator" that is trying to hurt her baby. Again, the degree of "protection" that the mare does with her baby is related to her personal disposition and trust she has in you (or anyone else). Spend time around both without initially getting into "their space" and gradually getting closer. She'll be more accepting of your presence at feeding time.

[email protected]

A mares job is to protect her foal, she feels threatened by you or whomevever is entering her stall. I would allow her to adjust to her new environment, three months is nothing, in terms of the time it can take to gain a new horse's confidence. It isn't about whether she like you or not, she is protecting her foal, and would probably die trying to do so.

Use positive reinforcment to gain her trust, feeding and grooming are good ways to start the bonding process, and lots of patience.

[email protected]

> My dad just bought a mare 3 months
> ago. after he bought her he found
> out she was pregnant. She was a
> very loveable and docile until she
> had the baby. now she won't let
> anyone near her she tries to bite,
> kick, and lung at us. We don't
> know what to do. Please help.

My family raised Paint Horses for many years and it's not uncommon for new mares to a farm to become protective of their foals. You've only had the mare for 3 months. It takes quite a bit of time to develop a trusting relationship with any horse and it's natural for your mare to protect her foal. She's not being mean, she's just protecting her little one. What you can do is spend time with the mare. Tie her up and brush her and offer her treats.speak to her in low, soothing tones. Let her get to know you and let the foal sniff you and explore you on it's terms. When the foal sees that you aren't a threat, the mare will relax and before you know it, she'll be nickering at you to come see her foal when you go to the barn. :)

[email protected]

Latest posts