New Hereford Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I think "fad" has a lot to do with it. People will pay money for the distinction of being part of the "in" crowd.
For some reason, black cattle are perceived to be worth more. It goes beyond just the dollars and cents.

Since the CAB premium is less than the dock on nonblack calves and some say that cattle that grade the same are essentially equal, why not purchase only the docked calves for the much lower price, retain ownership and get the same price as the CAB cattle minus the CAB premium. Math says you make more money that way than the CAB producers make. Unless there is more to the story than just grade and color.

Since the CAB premium is less than the dock on nonblack calves and some say that cattle that grade the same are essentially equal, why not purchase only the docked calves for the much lower price, retain ownership and get the same price as the CAB cattle minus the CAB premium. Math says you make more money that way than the CAB producers make. Unless there is more to the story than just grade and color.
All I know is that I produced high quality animals regardless of color or CAB qualification... and those that were denied their value due to their color were every bit as good as those that were overvalued due to color.

It would be interesting if they had opinions about which cows raised the better calves and which held up better and had less problems.

We probably all have thoughts that the half Sim cows did better, but it would be interesting to have a conversation.
The dude up in NW Ga that Clay and I have posted about, has a reg Black Simm herd of 30 cows and a registered Chi-Angus herd of 30 cows, that he uses to raise CA x BS and BS x CA crosses. Some of the Chi-Angus cows may be a couple inches taller on average than the Black Sims, and maybe 100 lbs or two heavier....it just depends on the percentage Chianina But, the Chi-Ang calves out of the Simm cows, and the Simm calves out of the Chi-Angus cows, are indistinguishable from each other. at weaning. Ear tag color is the only way to tell the CA x black Simm from the BS x CA. The man had some of these cross-bred heifers that he had retaained, and he bred them to a black Beefmaster bull. There was no difference in these calves whether their dam was a BS x CA or CA x BS.

All I know is that I produced high quality animals regardless of color or CAB qualification... and those that were denied their value due to their color were every bit as good as those that were overvalued due to color.
Was that evaluation at weaning or at slaughter. What age/stage did you typically sell? Weaning or at slaughter? Are the "best" calves at weaning also the best at slaughter? In terms of visual evaluation as well as profit? If a group of steers produce the best value/profit at slaughter, will the heifers from that same calf crop (same genetics) produce the "best" cows? Just some thoughts/questions for discussion.

There is no "discount" on quality off-colored calves. There are people who think that if you could waive a magic wand, and make Certified Angus beef programs dis-appear, that the $1,92 red or white calves in Dave's example would bring the $2 that the black ones in his example does. No, what would happen, is the black calves would also just bring $1.92. The CAB designation is given at slaughter by USDA inspectors. Not every black carcass qualifies, but NO red, white,. or purple ones do. Buyers pay a premium on black calves they THINK stand a chance of making CAB status. It is a gamble, but experienced buyers can pretty much tell which black calves may be CAB qualified, and bid accordingly. A solid black Criolo breed steer, even one de-horned, will not fetch the premium price. Neither will a solid black Holstein. Or Brahma. I see people on here crying and bemoaning that their red, or red & white, or whatever....roan... calves don't bring as much as their blacks,. Well, get a homozygous for black bull! Simple! The destruction of some of the foundation breeds, caused by turning them black ( or so some say) was totally unnecessary. I could take 100 of the original red & white Simmental cows, and get 100 polled black baldy calves. Or 100 of the original red Limosine or Gelbeiv calves, and get 100 black polled calves. And, due to f1 hybrid vigor, they would do better than calves from today's black Simm, Lim or Grelbeiv cows bred to black Simm, LIm or Gelbeiv bulls.

There was a neighbor that for years bred Red Angus. As good a cows, raising as good a calves, as any black angus. Better , maybe, than a lot of black angus., His grandson doesn't fool with registering then anymore...just raises commercial red angus that he sells at the sale barns. and his calves brought 20-30 cents less than similar black ones. In 2021 he bought some homozygous for black, Black Herford bulls, and now his black baldies top the sale when he brings them. They do as well or better than traditional black angus-Hereford black baldies. He got Dan to AI two of his red angus cows with sexed Red Brangus semen the other day. He plans on doing one or two each year like that, or maybe use Red Angus semen some times, for replacements. He intends to stick with the red cows, which are doing as well for him as black cows would.

I searched for what the CAB premium was worth. January of 2023 it was $5.02 /cwt. So on a 800 pound carcass it is $40.12. If you put that back on 500 pound steers it is a touch over 8 cents a pound. So if an Angus steer is worth $2.00 a pound, a non CAB steer should be worth $1.92. Reality is the spread is much bigger. So why are the buyers not paying more? Other premiums on the grid? Rate of gain and feed conversion in the feedlot? Cab is a factor but certainly not the entire picture.

I searched for what the CAB premium was worth. January of 2023 it was $5.02 /cwt. So on a 800 pound carcass it is $40.12. If you put that back on 500 pound steers it is a touch over 8 cents a pound. So if an Angus steer is worth $2.00 a pound, a non CAB steer should be worth $1.92. Reality is the spread is much bigger. So why are the buyers not paying more? Other premiums on the grid? Rate of gain and feed conversion in the feedlot? Cab is a factor but certainly not the entire picture.

There is no "discount" on quality off-colored calves. There are people who think that if you could waive a magic wand, and make Certified Angus beef programs dis-appear, that the $1,92 red or white calves in Dave's example would bring the $2 that the black ones in his example does. No, what would happen, is the black calves would also just bring $1.92. The CAB designation is given at slaughter by USDA inspectors. Not every black carcass qualifies, but NO red, white,. or purple ones do. Buyers pay a premium on black calves they THINK stand a chance of making CAB status. It is a gamble, but experienced buyers can pretty much tell which black calves may be CAB qualified, and bid accordingly. A solid black Criolo breed steer, even one de-horned, will not fetch the premium price.
Sorry buddy, but your own posts put the lie to this, "Buyers pay a premium on black calves the THINK stand a chance of making CAB status."

And then the next sentence... about how inferior animals won't get more money because they are black... after telling everyone in your prior posts how you buy Corriente cows and put Angus bulls on them because the black calves get more at the sale barn.

Ya can't have it both ways... so which is it?

The problem with most breeds (my opinion the Angus are the worse) is that they are chasing NUMBERS. CE & carcass numbers mainly. They quit LOOKING at their cattle and breed on paper. Lost their muscle (marbling trait is antagonistic to muscling), lost their bone and FEET.
The Hereford breed has improved pheno-type over the past 10 years. Bigger, stouter, more bone - since they blended the horned with the polled breed. IMHO - the Hereford cow is better than the Angus - pheno-type. And with their influx of hidden Simmental, they have LOTS of eye pigment now. LOL
Jeanne, you forgot the numbers for feed efficiency, yield, growth and fertility. I have just finished reading all this Simmental propaganda on FB written by Ron (Bright Raven), it is a bit like a broken record. For me Angus work very well, I get paid a premium for them, they survive on my poor rocky broken country very well, their fertility is excellent and their balanced structure/bone/feet allow them to navigate my rocky outcrops to find that pick of feed in tough times like we are seeing now. Big bone might be OK in your lush pastures of NY and Kentucky but it doesn't work here. The buyers at our weaner sales prefer the bigger frame and balanced structure of bone and feet. My neighbour has a herd of registered Simmental cows that uses predominantly North American genetics and my cows walk all over them when it comes to fertility in our conditions, my cows breed like flies.

Ken

Sorry buddy, but your own posts put the lie to this, "Buyers pay a premium on black calves the THINK stand a chance of making CAB status."

And then the next sentence... about how inferior animals won't get more money because they are black... after telling everyone in your prior posts how you buy Corriente cows and put Angus bulls on them because the black calves get more at the sale barn.

Ya can't have it both ways... so which is it?
Black beef calves out of Corr cows, are a LOT different than black Corr steers. I don't lie, Hoss. It is 100% true why buyers will pay more for a black calf, and it is also 100% true that they won't for ANY or ALL black calves. Just the ones that might grade CAB. And, I said the half-Corr calves we weaned at 6 mos, looked the same and brought the same as any other commercial Angus or other black beef calves do. So where is the lie, there, Hoss?

Black beef calves out of Corr cows, are a LOT different than black Corr steers. I don't lie, Hoss. It is 100% true why buyers will pay more for a black calf, and it is also 100% true that they won't for ANY or ALL black calves. Just the ones that might grade CAB. And, I said the half-Corr calves we weaned at 6 mos, looked the same and brought the same as any other commercial Angus or other black beef calves do. So where is the lie, there, Hoss?
What percentage of Corriente/Angus cross calves will end up qualifying for CAB? And if you are right about, "experienced buyers can pretty much tell which black calves may be CAB qualified, and bid accordingly. A solid black Criolo breed steer, even one de-horned, will not fetch the premium price... ", then why are they paying more for your Corriente crosses than for quality animals?

What percentage of Corriente/Angus cross calves will end up qualifying for CAB? And if you are right about, "experienced buyers can pretty much tell which black calves may be CAB qualified, and bid accordingly. A solid black Criolo breed steer, even one de-horned, will not fetch the premium price... ", then why are they paying more for your Corriente crosses than for quality animals?
I don't know if any do. I doubt it, because as they start approaching a year old, you can tell they probably won't have the marbling and REA needed for CAB. But as a 500 lb, 6 mos old, they look like any other angus cross or commercial Angus. I posted a poll on here a couple of years back, with pics of commercial angus calves, a Chi-angus, calf, a registered Angus calf, seems like one was a black Simm or Gelb or something, and an Angus x Corr calf. Only one person on here, Murray, picked it out. I said they would bring the same as other black calves at the sale. Never said they brought more.

I don't know if any do. I doubt it, because as they start approaching a year old, you can tell they probably won't have the marbling and REA needed for CAB. But as a 500 lb, 6 mos old, they look like any other angus cross or commercial Angus. I posted a poll on here a couple of years back, with pics of commercial angus calves, a Chi-angus, calf, a registered Angus calf, seems like one was a black Simm or Gelb or something, and an Angus x Corr calf. Only one person on here, Murray, picked it out. I said they would bring the same as other black calves at the sale. Never said they brought more.
Well you wobbled a bit (same as... Never said they brought more.) but I think that proves black calves get a premium regardless of quality.

"Buyers pay a premium on black calves they THINK stand a chance of making CAB status. It is a gamble, but experienced buyers can pretty much tell which black calves may be CAB qualified, and bid accordingly."

A "premium" on a calf of low quality that will never be CAB is still a discount by any other name to the guy that doesn't have black cattle.

Well you wobbled a bit (same as... Never said they brought more.) but I think that proves black calves get a premium regardless of quality.

"Buyers pay a premium on black calves they THINK stand a chance of making CAB status. It is a gamble, but experienced buyers can pretty much tell which black calves may be CAB qualified, and bid accordingly."

A "premium" on a calf of low quality that will never be CAB is still a discount by any other name to the guy that doesn't have black cattle.
Every time I go to the sale, I see black calves that don;t bring top dollar that day, so no.. no one pays extra for one that obviously won't attain CAB certification. Junk black calves don;t bring anymore than junk Hereford or Charolais. If someone doesn't want black cattle, or doesn't want to use a black bull, why in the world would they begrudge those who do raise calves that could fetch a premium? Dang, it is so simple. Do one of two things. Go black or ****.

Pretty much every week I see buyers cut out calves that are Corriente or Longhorn Angus crosses out of a group. I am not nearly as quick spotting them as they are. But when the buyers say one or two out I start looking for which ones they are cutting and I will figure out which ones they don't want before the cattle are sold most of the time. Or you will see a group of them come in. The price drops by 50%. If the buyer like them somewhere else, more power to you. But here you would lose your shirt raising them.

Pretty much every week I see buyers cut out calves that are Corriente or Longhorn Angus crosses out of a group. I am not nearly as quick spotting them as they are. But when the buyers say one or two out I start looking for which ones they are cutting and I will figure out which ones they don't want before the cattle are sold most of the time. Or you will see a group of them come in. The price drops by 50%. If the buyer like them somewhere else, more power to you. But here you would lose your shirt raising them.
There is no way you can lose money with them, unless the Great Flood came back and wiped out your whole herd. You'd have to be an idiot or one unlucky person to lose money with this cross. Lets say the 500 lb Angus, or Hereford or Simm or Charolais steers at 500 lbs brought $2.50. $1250. And say these crosses in fact only brought $1.25. $625. These crosses brought twice what their momma cost, and with zero inputs for either the cow or the calf, except for the price of a band. Those $1250 steers did not bring what their momma costs, and you have worming and vaccination on the cows and the calves, supplements, fertilizer and herbicide and lime for the pastures. And hay. And you have to consider your labor costs...your time... as well. We would round them up after the last ones calved, and ear tag them and cut the bull calves. Round them up again in 5 mos, put them on a trailer can carry them to the sale. 2 fun-filled days a year, riding good horses, is not work to me. If you have pasture that can graze 30 Ang or Herf cows, you can graze 90 Corrs. and have the same or less money in those 90 as the 30 Brits. You can raise 4 on the same pasture as you can big Simms or Chars, etc. So, you sell three $625 steers instead of one $1250 steer. That's 50% MORE gross sales with a wider profit margin. Sorry man, but I have done it every way with every breed there is. If there had been a way to make more money with less work and lower inputs ( I guess you can't get lower than zero) with any other breed, I would have done it on that place down there.

There is no way you can lose money with them, unless the Great Flood came back and wiped out your whole herd. You'd have to be an idiot or one unlucky person to lose money with this cross. Lets say the 500 lb Angus, or Hereford or Simm or Charolais steers at 500 lbs brought $2.50. $1250. And say these crosses in fact only brought $1.25. $625. These crosses brought twice what their momma cost, and with zero inputs for either the cow or the calf, except for the price of a band. Those $1250 steers did not bring what their momma costs, and you have worming and vaccination on the cows and the calves, supplements, fertilizer and herbicide and lime for the pastures. And hay. And you have to consider your labor costs...your time... as well. We would round them up after the last ones calved, and ear tag them and cut the bull calves. Round them up again in 5 mos, put them on a trailer can carry them to the sale. 2 fun-filled days a year, riding good horses, is not work to me. If you have pasture that can graze 30 Ang or Herf cows, you can graze 90 Corrs. and have the same or less money in those 90 as the 30 Brits. You can raise 4 on the same pasture as you can big Simms or Chars, etc. So, you sell three $625 steers instead of one $1250 steer. That's 50% MORE gross sales with a wider profit margin. Sorry man, but I have done it every way with every breed there is. If there had been a way to make more money with less work and lower inputs ( I guess you can't get lower than zero) with any other breed, I would have done it on that place down there.
Some people take pride in the money they make to the exclusion of the product they produce. I'll stick with taking pride in a superior product... thanks all the same.

Ken - @wbvs58 - we are not talking the same ANGUS cattle. You have good Angus cattle from all your pictures I have seen. There are a few Angus herds out here that have GOOD Angus cattle. But, the majority of Angus breeders are chasing MARBLING & $$ indexes. I have never seen so many poorly muscled, deer footed, pencil thin legs as I have seen this past few years. I can pretty much guarantee anyone that YOU LOOK at your cattle when you make breeding decisions.
I look at the numbers, but only after the phenotype fits what I need for my cows. And I never look at marbling. My main numbers are CE, WW, YW, MCE, REA.

Latest posts