New Hereford boys

Help Support CattleToday:

I think there may have been some misinterpretation. I don't think there is anything significantly wrong with the bulls. They will work in that sort of a crossbreeding system just fine. I just didn't think bigbull and I were looking at the same animals. I just don't see them as overconditioned, swaybacked or the best herefords I've seen recently.

TennesseeTuxedo":2dbbh58j said:
I think Alacowman is speaking to Boss cowman Dylan.

By the way, won't those horns be passed to the offspring?

Yes, I'm sure I will have a few calves that have horns. But that's what dehorners are for.

hillsdown":hwmw8ap8 said:
If Massey is correct and Brangus are Homo Polled, then the calves will be hetero polled . Right ?
IF his cattle are brangus they will be polled. You might come up with one or two with scurs but they are considered polled as well. A lot of "brangus type" cattle out there too.

They look fine to me, you might want give em a little more to eat before you turnem out....Not too many cattle here in Texas have a good finish off a pasture now, these youngsters have done well.

TennesseeTuxedo":19mrffb1 said:
Understood.

Will you de-horn these two fellas?

No, I will tip these two fellas. They just had their weights pulled off. I will tip them before I turn them out.

TexasBred":19mrffb1 said:
hillsdown":19mrffb1 said:
If Massey is correct and Brangus are Homo Polled, then the calves will be hetero polled . Right ?
IF his cattle are brangus they will be polled. You might come up with one or two with scurs but they are considered polled as well. A lot of "brangus type" cattle out there too.

I would definitely call my cows "Brangus type" or "Eared Cattle" as we like to say. I would say most are 3/4-1/4 or 3/8-5/8 Brangus to Angus. I have a handfull of bald face "Eared Cows" they are the ones that might throw a horned calf. And maybe not, the cows are bred to Profit Makers now so I won't be able to tell much about the horn situation until I get these Hereford bulls in there.

houstoncutter":2d0yyjd5 said:
They look fine to me, you might want give em a little more to eat before you turnem out....Not too many cattle here in Texas have a good finish off a pasture now, these youngsters have done well.

I have them on feed now.

The boys are growing up. I will be turning them out April 1st.

021-1.jpg

017.jpg

014-1.jpg

Don't take this wrong, because your bulls are good but there are many bulls in the Hereford breed that will do more for a set of cows. Maybe there are things I don't see but on the posts I would like to see some more volume to these bulls.
I hope they do the job for you

I think some one mentioned on here that these bulls were in a severe drought area. I do believe it will take more than 2 months with a little feed to turn these guys around. Give it just a little more time. Do I like the bulls not really but I am not the one with them. Are they ok bulls I do believe they are.

We all like the fat and sassy show bulls but we also have to live in the real world. Here it is.

JHH":yq3d5axn said:
I think some one mentioned on here that these bulls were in a severe drought area. I do believe it will take more than 2 months with a little feed to turn these guys around. Give it just a little more time. Do I like the bulls not really but I am not the one with them. Are they ok bulls I do believe they are.

We all like the fat and sassy show bulls but we also have to live in the real world. Here it is.

While you're right Jay, its important to note that the basic fundamentals of structural correctness, natural width, and dimension don't change with respect to condition. Sure would these bulls look different with a little more condition to them? Yeah, but still here the problem is type and kind, and these updated pictures just prove that to be true.

CPL":138oyebc said:
JHH":138oyebc said:

While you're right Jay, its important to note that the basic fundamentals of structural correctness, natural width, and dimension don't change with respect to condition. Sure would these bulls look different with a little more condition to them? Yeah, but still here the problem is type and kind, and these updated pictures just prove that to be true.

Well said

KNERSIE":3cjrndp9 said:
CPL":3cjrndp9 said:
JHH":3cjrndp9 said:

Well said

This board has changed quite a bit over the last couple of years, hasn't it Knersie? Lot of nice folks saying how nice these two bulls look. A couple of years ago it would not have been so. While in the past I was one of the guys saying to others to lighten up a bit, i think now it has gone to far, all these nice words do nothing for helping improving someones eye when it come to bulls. While I realize these two bulls will not be covering Herefords cows, at this point, that sure doesn't make them "good enough" bulls. No muscle, no depth, they look like steers ....should have been steers. No offense meant to the owner of these bulls, I just felt that there has been a lot of smoke being blown about these guys that is not very helpful to a new eye. All the extra feed and grain these guys can eat won't change the way they are. Again they look like steers, should have been.

JMO,
Alan

Latest posts