New handling facilities and bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi Moocow11

Wish I would have thought of that tar idea.
I didnt use gravel either. the bottoms are in the dirt and then I put 40lb's cement around each post. On the tops I used black spray paint. I just sprayed it on real heavy to seal up the pours. Most likely it will have to be re-sprayed every year.

Did you see those post's on crowders pen.
I dont think my F-250 could get past that fence... :lol:

MVC-016S.jpg

Hey Crowder, If those are standard feedlot panels I have some cattle that could sail over that without scratching a hoof. They aren't normally fence jumpers but, when they get worked they can turn into superman!
Have you had any trouble with that happening?

I have those panels in my pen also. Some look like giant golf balls have hit them. It is amazing what a 1000 PO'd cow can do to one of those panels. I think I have gotten rid of most of those cows now though so maybe I can fix it again.

Crowder,
That is a nice looking pen. I actually have one similar to it, not as good as yours. Mine hasn't got the telephone pole post, just some much smaller ceder post @ 7' tall with the panels 6" off the ground and 2" x 6" boards nailed up above the panels all the way around. It is probobly 25+ years old, as it was on the property when I bought it. It is just a large rectangle divided in the middle, with an alley way on one side of one of the halves which leads up to my head catch, when I let them out of the head catch they are released back into the half of the rectangle that doesn't contain the alley way. It's a simple design and I really like it, especially if you miss one. I had to tear down my old alley way last year, (old sawmill lumber), and replaced it with real heavy duty 2" bull panels. I was working a cow back in the spring that didn't want any part of that headcatch, so I decided to just try to work her in the alley way. The cow jumped straight up and rolled over the 6' top rail on that bull panel, almost crushing me in the process. Didn't hurt her a bit, she landed on her feet and just walked off. They never cease to amaze me! Oh, by the by, I had just finished giving that cow her last shot, luckily, so she did get worked. ;-)
Trey

Thank, Trey.

Ours are so far bullet proof.Built them last year. I also have a loading chute thats come in very handy. I know the light poles are a little overkill, but they sure make a difference.

I'm defianately jealous Crowder.. that's a great set of pens! We've got some of those light poles laying out back the electric company replaced a few years back. Of course they'll look a lot better in a set of pens then just laying around..

:roll:

I read everything I can on here about facilities, since I'm getting toward the end of building mine.. So far, what I've gathered is that they needs to be made of guardrail, drill stem, tarred light poles concreted into the ground and surrounded by tamped gravel for drainage, oak -- bolted, not nailed, pressure treated 2x8's with no gap, plywood, feedlot panels, heavy tube panels, crossties, a priefert squeeze chute, a scale, and a minimum of 5', 5-1/2', or 6' in height.

So, here's what I'm doing. I'm building mine out of cedar and white oak posts, feedlot panels, a few "repurposed" (scrounged) boards of various widths, lengths, and thicknesses, and it's...I dunno...like 5' high or so, and there's a $110 automatic headgate at the end of it that I bought at auction. The whole thing -- headgate included -- is prolly gonna cost me about $350.

I coulda spent several thousand more building Fort Knox II, but then it occured to me that it's probably cheaper just to carry a pistol and replace the ones it won't hold.

I'm mostly joking, of course..

But not really.

TREY-L":9itdrb2o said:
MVC-016S.jpg

Hey Crowder, If those are standard feedlot panels I have some cattle that could sail over that without scratching a hoof. They aren't normally fence jumpers but, when they get worked they can turn into superman!
Have you had any trouble with that happening?

That would be like hurtles for my cattle also. I have had several clear 6' to get out of cattle pins. :shock:

You shouldn't cement in wooden posts. When the post shrinks the cement stays the same and it basically makes a biucket that your post is rattling around in. Then it fill up with water and... :(

Here's what I'm thinking. I go out and get a bunch of old Dodge and Chevy trucks folks are giving away. Turn them up on their sides, put them end to end and just chain the bumpers together. Well, maybe chain the axles together since their bumpers are useless. Then I get an old Yugo to use for a gate. The lane will just be some of the same except they set side ways and I run them through the cab. I will use a door for a head catch. You just open the door and then slam it just as they get there. They stick their head in and you roll up the window.

The only thing to watch for is that cfpinz doesn't come haul off your pen and make an everyday driver out of it. :lol:

We still use old metal bed springs and bicycle frames for catchpens around here.

Been working this long, why change?

I've been in shoot houses made of tires in the military, they are sturdy but you'd need alot of tires to make a pen.

You could just drive to Tenn. and trade for some of the tires on the roofs that are holding down the blue tarps. You could take along a load of old cinder blocks to use as trade, so they could still keep the tarps on. :D :D

TREY-L":32f6ldpc said:
You could just drive to Tenn. and trade for some of the tires on the roofs that are holding down the blue tarps. You could take along a load of old cinder blocks to use as trade, so they could still keep the tarps on. :D :D

Trey-L. Strike 3. Just remember the Tennessee Role call thread under "everything Else" Your outnumbered Boy. :lol: Besides IF there was a "Roll Call" in Bama, ya'll would ask with butter or jelly?

TREY-L":nkm4fmaj said:

You noticed that too? :lol: :lol:

Crowderfarms":3jevhkvj said:
TREY-L":3jevhkvj said:

Trey-L. Strike 3. Just remember the Tennessee Role call thread under "everything Else" Your outnumbered Boy. :lol: Besides IF there was a "Roll Call" in Bama, ya'll would ask with butter or jelly?

I wanted to stick up for you but those TN Volunteers are good folk. :D

Walt

TREY-L wrote:
You could just drive to Tenn. and trade for some of the tires on the roofs that are holding down the blue tarps. You could take along a load of old cinder blocks to use as trade, so they could still keep the tarps on. Very Happy Very Happy

Trey-L. Strike 3. Just remember the Tennessee Role call thread under "everything Else" Your outnumbered Boy. Laughing Besides IF there was a "Roll Call" in Bama, ya'll would ask with butter or jelly?

TOUCHE`!

Latest posts