New handling facilities and bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never been able to get my herd, my facilities, my pasture, or anything else the way I truly want it. It is a work in progress, and I will never be satisfied. You have begun your work in progress, and never become satisfied.

CSM

Crowderfarms":1a7qno2s said:
...My personal opinion of Plywood is it belongs on a side of a House, or the roof of one.Add you some more boards and you should be OK.

Keep us informed of your new projects and endeavors. ;-)

Ah, there you go. Another Tennessee house being built with plywood. Do you paint your plywood houses or just stain them up there? :lol:

Actually Crowder I had boards 2 feet up the side stacked together so no gaps. 2x6's on top of the bottom 2x8. Had a dang eared cow go down in there and broke that 2x8 like it was a 1x4. I went to the PT plywood 10 years ago and it is still there and working just fine. Seems it will give a little without breaking. ;-)

flaboy?":1rtkd7v9 said:
Crowderfarms":1rtkd7v9 said:
...My personal opinion of Plywood is it belongs on a side of a House, or the roof of one.Add you some more boards and you should be OK.

Keep us informed of your new projects and endeavors. ;-)

Ah, there you go. Another Tennessee house being built with plywood. Do you paint your plywood houses or just stain them up there? :lol:

Actually Crowder I had boards 2 feet up the side stacked together so no gaps. 2x6's on top of the bottom 2x8. Had a dang eared cow go down in there and broke that 2x8 like it was a 1x4. I went to the PT plywood 10 years ago and it is still there and working just fine. Seems it will give a little without breaking. ;-)

And if a Hurricane is comin' you can saw up your pens to put over your windows. :D

Old fella told me when I was starting out, "if it ain't concrete and steel, eventually they will destroy it ".

So far he's been right. :lol:

ALX

Edit - some concrete and steel has bit the dust as well :eek:

:lol: :lol:

Well, in my experience, two years old is just an awkward time for a bull. They look real nice when you buy them as yearlings but once they've been out in the pasture for a year, alot of them seem to go through some sort of adolescent phase where they get kinda thin and spindly looking. Usually by the time they get to be 3 - 3 1/2, they're back to being that good looking bull you bought as a yearling. Also, it can depend how they were fed as they were brought up. One of my brother's best bulls looks like a real POS. He's a poor doer, at least on pasture, but his EPD's are good and he throws really nice calves. He was barley fed and we suspect his guts are just burnt out because of that. Good Luck!

I'm still waiting on the Tennessee loud mouth to post a picture of his bull and him standing beside it to prove it's his. :lol:

flaboy?":q21jkubs said:
I'm still waiting on the Tennessee loud mouth to post a picture of his bull and him standing beside it to prove it's his. :lol:

I saw a big glowing orange T fly over last night while I was checking my still, I mean my CATTLE. Maybe he is too busy making invasion plans. :eek:

ALX

flaboy?
Re:
I'm still waiting on the Tennessee loud mouth to post a picture of his bull and him standing beside it to prove it's his.
If that was directed at me, I told you I am retired and don't own any cattle except for some orphan heifers and this one bull.
What do you think of him?
SL

bull.gif

Naw, wasn't you. Oh man, now you done went and did it. Standby for the critiques on your bull. Looks a little narrow butted, poor top line, and he is full of crap. :lol: :banana:

Hi Arkieman,
Yeah, They come runnin to the feed bucket.
So far the only problem I've had was keepin them out of the pen. The whole time we were building it they were in the way just standing around checking things out. I guess thats a good thing.

Hey Flaboy. The Oceans already spitten hurricanes at you.
Be safe....You might need some of that plywood after-all
Looks like this one might head over toward south texas. Hopefully it will miss all of us and stay over the water.

Yeah, if I need some more plywood I will just run up to Tennessee and pull some off of those houses up there. :lol:

flaboy?":3loiqkip said:
Yeah, if I need some more plywood I will just run up to Tennessee and pull some off of those houses up there. :lol:

Be sure and leave those blue tarps on the rooftops.........

They ain't there just for looks, you know. :lol: :lol:

MikeC":34w0yfn9 said:
flaboy?":34w0yfn9 said:

Be sure and leave those blue tarps on the rooftops.........

They ain't there for looks, you know. :lol: :lol:

>_<

flaboy?":6yukdgt9 said:
Boy Florida, Time for you to put up or shut up. :lol: Here's a little preview of our pens.-Without danged Plywood.Ran out of battery, and bout out of daylite. I even posted one of our Bulls on the breeds board for you to tear apart.Look for "Just for Flaboy"

MVC-016S.jpg

i would never put a wood post in cement. put tar on the end of the post and barry it in dirt and it will last longer then cement and wood

Crowderfarms":2sla5rtn said:
Boy Florida, Time for you to put up or shut up. :lol: Here's a little preview of our pens.-Without danged Plywood.Ran out of battery, and bout out of daylite. I even posted one of our Bulls on the breeds board for you to tear apart.Look for "Just for Flaboy"

Now Crowder, you know who I was talking about.

My pen used to look like that. :lol: What I was referring to is sorting/squeeze lane. Just before the squeeze chute. My lane is all 2x6 and 2x8's six inches apart. The area where the next cow has to wait to get in the squeeze is where I have the bottom 2 feet solid. That cow gets crowded by the rest in the waiting line and sometimes gets really excited and tries to get out. ;-)

Moocow11":457zifvh said:
i would never put a wood post in cement. put tar on the end of the post and barry it in dirt and it will last longer then cement and wood
I agree with you on this up to a point. The concrete will cause the post to rot faster as it forms a bucket around the post, and the open end of the will wick water up into the post so the tar would prevent this. Concrete adds balast to the post at the bottom and will usually help the post stay plumb longer. What I do is put gravel in the bottom of the hole and only fill around the sides of the post with concrete. That allows drainage out the bottom. I think I will start useing your tar idea on the bottom of the post. Putting a top cover on the post may help as well.

novatech":263jwbz5 said:
Moocow11":263jwbz5 said:
I agree with you on this up to a point. The concrete will cause the post to rot faster as it forms a bucket around the post, and the open end of the will wick water up into the post so the tar would prevent this. Concrete adds balast to the post at the bottom and will usually help the post stay plumb longer. What I do is put gravel in the bottom of the hole and only fill around the sides of the post with concrete. That allows drainage out the bottom. I think I will start useing your tar idea on the bottom of the post. Putting a top cover on the post may help as well.
i wouldnt put it on the tops because then when it gets reall hot it will be a sticky and you will put yuor hand on it and never get it off

Latest posts