New England

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Taking a couple of weeks off to travel to the New England states to see the fall colors. Anyone ever done this? Anyone on here live in Mass, NH, VT, Maine, Conn?

I used to live in Maine!! I lived in Old Town, up by Bangor, my wife is from Saco. So, we've got you covered top to bottom. If you're going out in the next week, I would suggest the Fryburg Fair in Fryburg, ME. They have horse and oxen pulling (which you won't see about anywhere else outside of New England). Teams of Chianina oxen that weigh in over 5,600 and horse teams that are close to 6,000. I've seen horses do a 6ft drag where they get up to 15,000 lb on the sled. When they take off with that the ground will shake.

I've also traveled quite a bit all over New England. My grandparents lived in northern Vermont and I would travel from Maine to Vermont every month or so. There's a lot of wonderful back roads and fun things to do. Let me know if you have any questions. There's a ton of interesting things to see, more than I can go into quickly. But if you have specific places you're going, I can maybe give you some cool ideas.

Bestoutwest":36h0gljv said:
I used to live in Maine!! I lived in Old Town, up by Bangor, my wife is from Saco. So, we've got you covered top to bottom. If you're going out in the next week, I would suggest the Fryburg Fair in Fryburg, ME. They have horse and oxen pulling (which you won't see about anywhere else outside of New England). Teams of Chianina oxen that weigh in over 5,600 and horse teams that are close to 6,000. I've seen horses do a 6ft drag where they get up to 15,000 lb on the sled. When they take off with that the ground will shake.

I've also traveled quite a bit all over New England. My grandparents lived in northern Vermont and I would travel from Maine to Vermont every month or so. There's a lot of wonderful back roads and fun things to do. Let me know if you have any questions. There's a ton of interesting things to see, more than I can go into quickly. But if you have specific places you're going, I can maybe give you some cool ideas.

Thanks, Best. Our itinerary takes us from Boston to Bar Harbor, Bangor, N. Conway, Stowe where we head South to Mystic, Cape Cod and then back to Boston area. We leave Houston Oct 8 and return Oct 20. Hurricane had us a little worried but that looks to be a non-issue. Do we need to be worried/prepared for snow in the higher elevations (White mountains)? We have an all wheel drive vehicle reserved.

A friend of mine just came back from visiting family in Mass. He showed me pics of lobster they trap like we would minnows down here. Lot of history up there.

lavacarancher":1e5b9pmy said:
Taking a couple of weeks off to travel to the New England states to see the fall colors. Anyone ever done this? Anyone on here live in Mass, NH, VT, Maine, Conn?

I made that trip a long long time ago and it was just terrific. Beautiful part of this great land.

I hope you have a safe and memorable trip.

lavacarancher":3osc5tfl said:
Thanks, Best. Our itinerary takes us from Boston to Bar Harbor, Bangor, N. Conway, Stowe where we head South to Mystic, Cape Cod and then back to Boston area. We leave Houston Oct 8 and return Oct 20. Hurricane had us a little worried but that looks to be a non-issue. Do we need to be worried/prepared for snow in the higher elevations (White mountains)? We have an all wheel drive vehicle reserved.

I wouldn't really worry about snow just yet. You may get some, but I think it should burn off pretty quickly. If anything it will be big, beautiful flakes that melt the second they hit the pavement.

Boston to Bar Harbor is a beautiful drive. The drive from Bangor to Bar Harbor is one of my favorites, it should be lit up pretty well this time of year. Bangor doesn't have a whole lot to do. It's a smaller city, but it's not really set up for touristy type stuff. Stephen King lives there. Also, the University of Maine is up the road about 10 miles and they have hockey and football going on right now. Bar Harbor has a fantastic national park, Acadia, that has a ton of trails. I'm not sure if they're doing carriage rides right now, but they do that through the woods. North Conway is 11 miles from Fryeburg, but it looks like you're cutting it close to get to go.
http://www.fryeburgfair.org/Fair-Info/Event-Schedule

Up in Bangor there's a great family style restaurant called Governor's. Way too much food, and it's all pretty good. It's like a home-style greasy spoon, but sanitary. That's about all I've got for food. I apologize. I have IBS, so I eat at home almost exclusively.

I'm not really familiar with the Stowe area and down into Mass. Cape Cod is supposed to be beautiful. I'd love to get to Nantucket to see the whaling museum and the old houses that the captains owned.

Enjoy your trip. I'm pretty jealous, it's a great time to be going.

I was stationed at Brunswick Naval Air Station in Maine and enjoyed the New England area. Best Foliage I experienced was on the Kancamagus Highway through New Hampshire's White Mountains. It is State Route 112. Catch it at exit 17 off interstate 91 in Vermont on the west side or take US highway 302 east out of Fryeburg, Maine on the east side. Try to go on a week day because EVERYBODY from Boston will be there on the week end--Literally bump-to-bumper.
BOW is correct about horse and oxen pulls. Much more exciting than tractor pulls. Try to go.
When I lived there (late 1960's) local radio and TV news gave foliage reports advising what % of leaves had turned in various areas.
Also lobster is at its best in the fall and winter(and usually cheaper). Maine in spring and summer, Vermont in the winter and New Hampshire in the fall That's what I recommend, But it's all great. Happy vacation.

Almost forgot-- when in Bar Harbor visit Acadia National Park and see Thunder Hole--IMHO one of the great natural wonders of North America. Just a large hole full of boulders, you say? Just wait till the tide comes in!!!
BTW Tides in that bay (Fundy) are the highest in the world and water temp never goes above 45 degrees--makes for the best lobster in the universe. I envy you!!

greybeard":1y5qizxe said:
I jacked up the pressure on my sprayer last weekend and sprayed Remedy on a crapload of tall Chinese Tallow and Sweetgum trees. Their leaves are now brilliantly colored. That's as close to fall 'colors' as I want to see but, enjoy your trip up to yankeeland. Prepare yourself, to hear people talk like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Iw-GwoQMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-fK5asG4Xs

When I was in college I worked at a Napa. We would get the loggers coming out of the woods for parts to fix their skidders and trucks. Some of them have the New England equivalent to mush mouth, and it was pretty difficult to understand.

Anyone ever see that Downeast Dickering show? This is how Mainers really talk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilj8fLaI-2o

I have it somewhat on certain words. I say 'at' like I was saying 'hat' but swallowing the 'h' and 'that' in a similar fashion. I can say in normal, but it's difficult and forced. The only other word that I know I say is 'money' which I say 'muhney.' Those are my last holdovers. However, if you pay me enough money, I can drop right back into it with the best of them. A fun one to say is "Yessuh" for yes and "buhbby" as an affectionate nickname for someone. My other favorite is "Ahyeht" for "yes." It's truly a language all to its own.

Also, if you get a chance, pick up an Uncle Henry's like in the video. They're pretty interesting. It's like Craig's List but without the pictures and little weirder. I used to read them all the time as a kid.

If you swing by Cabot at all (which you might have to go a bit out of the way for) there is a cheese factory that produces the best cheese. For Christmas, my mom will have some shipped to me. It's my yearly treat.

Kingfisher":1y5qizxe said:
How did all you NE guys get into cows!??

How? Because cows are the best, of course.

greybeard":zm3nxoe1 said:
It does seem, that the 'r' is always silent most places in New England. I have a sis-in-law from 'Vahmont'.
'I Pocked tha cah in Hahvahd yahd'.

Not always, it's weird. If there's an "a" at the end, they'll sometimes add an "r." When we moved to Maine from Illinois, I was 11, there was a girl in my class who's name was Amanda. But the teacher kept calling her "Amandar." For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why someone would choose such a stupid name for their child. Another one is "hambuhg." They don't call it hamburger, it's abbreviated and mispronounced. I thought this was a new type of food specific to Maine.

greybeard":2ajmihu0 said:
I jacked up the pressure on my sprayer last weekend and sprayed Remedy on a crapload of tall Chinese Tallow and Sweetgum trees. Their leaves are now brilliantly colored. That's as close to fall 'colors' as I want to see but, enjoy your trip up to yankeeland. Prepare yourself, to hear people talk like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Iw-GwoQMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-fK5asG4Xs

Great, thanks for the chuckle. that is an interesting lil feller. Goes to show ya what I've been telling y'all for years--that most of you Suth-reners would be right at home with us Nawthern hillbillies :lol: :lol: A few regional variations but a lot in common too

boondocks":2gxdnfah said:
Great, thanks for the chuckle. that is an interesting lil feller. Goes to show ya what I've been telling y'all for years--that most of you Suth-reners would be right at home with us Nawthern hillbillies :lol: :lol: A few regional variations but a lot in common too

The south has better food. Fried chicken, cornbread, BBQ vs. boiled dinner. That's a no-brainah!

lavacarancher":vj14h6g7 said:

How was the trip?

Bestoutwest":2dsi5o66 said:
lavacarancher":2dsi5o66 said:

How was the trip?

Trip was great. Nice folks, pretty scenery, pleasant weather except for the top of Mt. Washington. It was 22 and the wind was blowing about 35 mph. Disappointed with Plymouth Rock. Should be called Plymouth pebble. :D Boston was not what I expected and we were very pleasantly surprised. Lobster rolls were outstanding but very expensive.

Latest posts