New castrating tool?

Help Support CattleToday:

JMHayes

Reaction score
As anyone ever seen or used a castrating tool that looked kind of like a pair of pliers with a blade at the end. Saw one at the farm store and was wondering if anyone had any experience using one, and if it was were worth paying $25 or should I stick to the $1.49 disposable knives?

Is this it?

NewberryCastKnife.jpg

Looks pretty wicked! :shock:

A lot of stuff is marketed to the customer that doesn't even compair or do nearly as good a job as whats its supposed to replace. If they can get the idea across that its better and can sell some they have done what they intended. Thats - get their share of your profit.

Good sharp knife has served many for centuries - why fix it if it ain't broke?

Bez

That would be like trimming your nails with a chain saw. Looks like it would be hard to handle.

I've seen it used to dock lambs tails but never to castrate.

dun

I've seen our vet use one like that before when cutting 400-600 lbers. I think he basically put the blade between the testicals a couple inches up from the bottom of the scrotum, then squeeze to put a hole thru and pull straight down. It splits the scrotum on the bottom so the testicals can be removed and the scrotum just kind of hangs back together. Vet said calves have less chance of getting infection this way, that's if you have to cut them that old. Normally we cut at birth, but every few years or so, one falls thru the cracks or gets too spunky to be caught.

One of our vets uses them on bulls about 350 and up. The way he uses it is fast and he claims less likely to get infected. Cut a slit all the way through and he pulls them out. Fast and very little fuss. Scares the heck out of me to look at them.

I've used the newberry in conjunction with an emasculator a few times on bigger calves( big enuff to require a chute). The emasculator costs a bit more though...over 100$ I believe. The best thing about it is not cuting your fingers.Also Very little blood with the emasculator.

Newbury Knife, cut everything here with one. You force the testicles up half-way then pierce from the side (if you go between you will hate the thing) and pull down, you will end up with a "front and back" half of the scrotum, less infection, faster healing = more money!

ranchmgr":3p3qwaxl said:
Newbury Knife, cut everything here with one. You force the testicles up half-way then pierce from the side (if you go between you will hate the thing) and pull down, you will end up with a "front and back" half of the scrotum, less infection, faster healing = more money!
==
ranchmgr,

Are you saying ..."pierce from the side".... of the testicle location or side of the scrotum with the testicles pushed up? Also, youre saying..."front and back half of the scrotum"...rather than an incision from front to back between the testicles? Correct?

Never used one..trying to understand how they are used. Sounds like you are very familiar with them. Thanks.

Preston
Pierce from the side just below where you have the testicles pushed up to, you will be cutting roughly the bottom 1/2 of the scrotum. Then just pull and strip the testicles the same as a knife cut calf. The tapered portion of the blades top is also sharpened so you can use it to cut the cords. They seem hard to handle at first but once you get on to them you will put the old knife boys to shame.

Latest posts