New Girl (drought cow)

Help Support CattleToday:

But do I keep the heifer or keep the cow??
😄

The way things are right now, the cows looking to be a freebie pretty much.

Perhaps I'll have her pregged later and go from there. I'm down a bunch of cows. Plan was to sell some one n dones and buy back some NICE NICE replacement cows.

The price of em right now, I may be better off running her another year..
Dump both, take your money and run. Buy some thing you know the history on and have been raised right from the get go.

Dump both, take your money and run. Buy some thing you know the history on and have been raised right from the get go.
LOL... "Buy something you know the history on..."

You DO realize who you're talking to, right? I don't believe @MurraysMutts has ever brought anything home that wasn't abused. It's just not his gig to go for the no-work-needed cows.

Doesn't look like you use that squeeze very often.
Belongs to the landowner. Tried to buy it as it's on wheels! Really odd manual head catch tho. I'll get a picture of it next time!

LOL... "Buy something you know the history on..."

You DO realize who you're talking to, right? I don't believe @MurraysMutts has ever brought anything home that wasn't abused. It's just not his gig to go for the no-work-needed cows.
When I first started buying cows. I actually bought several from a friend. Most have been pretty good mamas. Tho a couple flunked out....

My group at the lease place was actually bought as young heifers not even ready for a bull yet!!
I went to a sale and just bought whatever I could get for 750 or less each.
Funny story there too!

Guy behind me had been watching. He knew what I was doing. I have a picture of my cheat sheet and he saw it as he walked by.
Screenshot_20230205-192739_Gallery.jpg
Now no one behind was bidding on heifers.
But a group of 3 came in and I was bidding. Sure enough, someone behind me was now bidding too!
These 3 were not really what I was after. One was horned. One was a smokey. The other a baldy.
Bidding got up a little, and I just QUIT bidding. Auctioneer kept pointing at me then just gave the guy behind me a 🤷‍♂️

I don't give as much for horns or color.
No matter how nice they are. But he didn't know that and bought his own dang animals back!!!

😀🤣😀🤣

Now no one behind was bidding on heifers.
But a group of 3 came in and I was bidding. Sure enough, someone behind me was now bidding too!
These 3 were not really what I was after. One was horned. One was a smokey. The other a baldy.
Bidding got up a little, and I just QUIT bidding. Auctioneer kept pointing at me then just gave the guy behind me a 🤷‍♂️

I don't give as much for horns or color.
No matter how nice they are. But he didn't know that and bought his own dang animals back!!!
I love doing that. I bought a house that way, outbid everyone except the "guy on the phone" and when I quit bidding suddenly, the guy on the phone got "disconnected". They said I was the high bidder and I said I don't bid against people that disappear after they outbid me. I got the house for a lot less.

Not sure yet, but they may sell next week!

The calf for sure.

I'm low on cows and can't buy any for reasonable money. If the 6 yr old bred back I just may keep her another year
Heifer should bring a pretty penny. Shes a looker.
I was going to find a few trader animals myself, but nope! Probably going to need to save the extra money for hay anyway.

That heifer looks like about the best you've pictured. I like her. Has some bone and depth. Can't tell how muscled she is. Nice replacement from THIS picture.
She does look really good I think too.
BUT she's much older than my home grown calves and shorter by a ways!
If she was a good bit taller, I'd consider keeping her. Tho her mother just don't get me excited at all aside from her demeanor.

I am excited about turning them into cash!

All went well today.
Loaded and hauled in the pouring down rain all morning. And loved EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

IF SHE DONT BRING WHAT I EXPECT I'LL P.O. THE COW!

She will be preg checked. Pretty sure Big Sexy already got her. My heifer was bred same time I dropped him off. He's been a busy boy.

Results tomorrow!

Good call on the cow.
Maybe Murray will buy me a project for getting so close😜😂
I was a tad pessimistic on the heifer tho.🤑
The heifer brought 2.35
Weighed 407lb. Sold with 2 other heifers

Did amazingly well on this project
Not too shabby. Bet the rain helped with the bidding?🌦️. Granted they are pics we saw but i would hav guessed the heifer to be a bit heavier, or else i probably would hav went higher on my guess😉🤑🤠

Maybe Murray will buy me a project for getting so close😜😂
I was a tad pessimistic on the heifer tho.🤑

Not too shabby. Bet the rain helped with the bidding?🌦️. Granted they are pics we saw but i would hav guessed the heifer to be a bit heavier, or else i probably would hav went higher on my guess😉🤑🤠
Calf prices are just sky high!!

That's why I went ahead and pulled my calves from the lease place. A couple were only 4 months old.

The 7 calves averaged 1000 each.

This lil heifer looked really good in pictures but like I told @Jeanne - Simme Valley she was a bit short. The heifers all sold as a group tho. They didn't know she was older. She was the only one without a birthdate in her ear.

Calf prices are just sky high!!

That's why I went ahead and pulled my calves from the lease place. A couple were only 4 months old.

The 7 calves averaged 1000 each.

This lil heifer looked really good in pictures but like I told @Jeanne - Simme Valley she was a bit short. The heifers all sold as a group tho. They didn't know she was older. She was the only one without a birthdate in her ear.
Did pretty decent. Now you can afford you some of those $400-600 bottle babies😜😜

Latest posts