New Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

jack.diamond

Reaction score
Let me know what you think of these pics.

JD.

These are a couple of our Angus/Beefmaster crosses

DSC02383.JPG

This one is one of our registered Beefmaster cavles, four weeks old.

DSC02415.JPG

jack.diamond":17a5m41e said:
Let me know what you think of these pics.

JD.

These are a couple of our Angus/Beefmaster crosses

DSC02383.JPG

This one is one of our registered Beefmaster cavles, four weeks old.

DSC02415.JPG

If those are recent pictures you are in trouble as you are going into winter with wet cows and absolutely no grass.
Your profit is going to be put into a sack.
Secondly you are setting yourself back years in pasture production. That is damaged ground and is not going to get better being overstocked in drought conditions.

CB,

I agree the pastures look bad. The drought this year has been worse than last. Have been using hay for the past few weeks. We just received about 5 inches of very much needed rain in the last week. The grass is beginning to come back. Have closed off two pastures to keep the cows out and let the grass grow.

On the calves, I was wondering how they managed to turn out red. The mommas are in the background, 1/2 angus x 1/2 beefmaster and the sire was registered black angus.

JD

Very nice calves. Beefmasters are my favorite. I just started a herd of them this year. Good luck with them

jack.diamond":1m535t2i said:
On the calves, I was wondering how they managed to turn out red. The mommas are in the background, 1/2 angus x 1/2 beefmaster and the sire was registered black angus.

JD

Both the cows and the bull must have the red gene. I believe that is the only way two blacks can produce a red.

VanC":2mvk23f8 said:
Both the cows and the bull must have the red gene. I believe that is the only way two blacks can produce a red.

Correct

dun

Thanks folks for all the information and comments on the calves. I sort of suspected there must have been something in those cows jeans. I bought five of them last year, three dropped black calves and the two you saw that were red. Last week sent one of the black calves to the sale barn, he was less than six months old, weighed in at 580, and didn't do to bad on the frog skins as CB would say. Need to get a new bull for next year and am considering the Beefmaster. There are a couple of breeders in the next town with several two year olds for sale. Saw several that were black and thought seriously about one. Wonder if this would be wise, I know the beefmaster is originally a red cow. Thoughts and criticism's??

Jack :roll:

jack.diamond":1yscf9z6 said:
Thanks folks for all the information and comments on the calves. I sort of suspected there must have been something in those cows jeans. I bought five of them last year, three dropped black calves and the two you saw that were red. Last week sent one of the black calves to the sale barn, he was less than six months old, weighed in at 580, and didn't do to bad on the frog skins as CB would say. Need to get a new bull for next year and am considering the Beefmaster. There are a couple of breeders in the next town with several two year olds for sale. Saw several that were black and thought seriously about one. Wonder if this would be wise, I know the beefmaster is originally a red cow. Thoughts and criticism's??

Jack :roll:

One of the things that I like about beefmaster cattle is that they are not decided/bred based on color, but quality. Not intended as a knock on any other breeds, but if you go to a beefmaster auction you will see all types of colors. I'd hate for beefmasters to "go black", as they, in my opinion, are fine just the way (color) they are.

CF

My wife and I were at the beefmaster auction in Crockett back in April. There were a few black heifers and bulls there, but predominately the cows were red or marbled. Lots of folks were oohing and aahing over the blacks. The prices for the bred black heifers were pretty steep too. :eek: Our registered beefmasters are red with traces of white. There is a sale coming up in October in Brenham and we are planning on going to look for the next bull if the prices aren't prohibitive. :shock:

Jack

Well I'm not an expert,but the black beefmasters are coming from crossing with angus. If I wanted angus I would have bought them instead of beefmasters. I myself don't care for the black ones. The money they want for them is crazy. My bulls are dark red to paint. I do like the paint ones. The bloodline that I have is Cherokee Phantom, and Havana.
We visited some people one day. They had 12 A/I borned heifers all were 14 months old. I was not impressed with the black heifers. They kinda looked like holstiens without the white and he wanted 4000.00 each for them. The reds were 12-16 hundred. We just looked...
Black is where is at at the moment. Just check the breeding very closely if you decide to buy one. There's alot of lawsuits out on Soulman that have not been resolved yet. He sold for 66,000 and he's an angus/beefmaster.
I saw the other pictures of your calves. They are very nice looking. Best of luck to you.

My impression of Beefmaster breeding was "No good cow is a bad color,&, if she doesn't produce,for whatever reason,she's out"..

Joy in Texas":2qo67g6l said:
Well I'm not an expert,but the black beefmasters are coming from crossing with angus. If I wanted angus I would have bought them instead of beefmasters. I myself don't care for the black ones. The money they want for them is crazy. My bulls are dark red to paint. I do like the paint ones. The bloodline that I have is Cherokee Phantom, and Havana.
We visited some people one day. They had 12 A/I borned heifers all were 14 months old. I was not impressed with the black heifers. They kinda looked like holstiens without the white and he wanted 4000.00 each for them. The reds were 12-16 hundred. We just looked...
Black is where is at at the moment. Just check the breeding very closely if you decide to buy one. There's alot of lawsuits out on Soulman that have not been resolved yet. He sold for 66,000 and he's an angus/beefmaster.
I saw the other pictures of your calves. They are very nice looking. Best of luck to you.

JiT,

Thanks for the input. Have no clue who you talked to about the black heifers, but I've seen that kind of dollar figure before. We will most likely stay with the red or a variation thereof. Will you be going to Brenham in October??

Jack

As of this date we are planning on going to Brenham. Did you go to Three Rivers this past saturday ? I didn't go,but my hubby did. I was just glad to see he didn't bring anything home.
It doesnt really matter who I was talking about . They are nice people,but I wouldn't buy anything from them. Heck,I've seen alot of strange things when I started looking for beefmasters. And alot of them did not include the SIX ESSENTIALS. But I understand everyone is selling their breed,no matter what it is.
So you are looking to buy a bull ?

JiT,

Didn't go to Three Rivers, spent most of Saturday helping the wife put some new tile down and building a new feed trough. I did get to watch it rain for awhile and I was real glad we got that.

We are seriously kicking around the idea of purchasing a bull, registered beefmaster. All of ours are polled and I pretty much want to stay in that arena. We've been out to visit several breeders in our area, I've seen a two year old that I like and might go for.

Will probably make that decision after the Brenham trip.

JD

Latest posts