New Calve - has astonishing amount of worms...

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We just lost our 2 calves in august - terrible and tragic, they got attacked by a dog, trust me he will no longer be in our neighborhood....
So, I am quite concerned - we can't lose our new calve yet!
He is almost 3 months old, we just took him in on Labor day. The first day he was here he seemed to be doing ok..
Went out yesterday to feed him in the am and he was laying in the barn, went back later and still in the same place... yikes - got a fecal sample as soon as I could to the vet, and he was taken back by the amount of parasites in the sample, we are treating him with the paste for the next 3 days and gave him 1 dose of - valbax ( don't have it on hand but it starts with a V and ends with an X) gave him an energy shot and we are bottle feeding him 2 x a day and offering the feed also and today gave him some bounce back (electrolite replemisher)
He is alert, but just is week and cannot get up on his own, if we stand him up he lays down shortly after.

I am picking up all the feces everytime I go out back, keeping the area as clean as I can...

Anyone have any other suggestions that I should be doing?

In your opinion will this clear up?

The lady we got him from has a small farm with goats, and had just gotten 2 llama's and one of the llama's is also pretty bad with the worms... She goes to the same vet as I so - I think that is a good thing. He was totally amazed at how many parasites were in the feces.
I guess I am worried because she said she had wormed them 2x's already and she is having a hard time getting rid of what the llama has...
I am just afraid that we are in for another heartache...

ps - he was a twin and we have his sister too - he is definately smaller than her, she is a fiesty gal herself and full of energy. Maybe he is just too little to take all this on, I am guessing he is roughly 75 lbs... she is close to 100.

I'd probably have used Ivomec Plus instead of whatever you're using... ivermectin is effective against almost everything and has little to no resistance, whereas you have to deal with parasite resistance with some of the other wormers.

I did use the pour on - because I had it here and the vet had called just as he was closing,

Forgot about that... sorry...

Do you think I am doing enough?

the vet said to bring another sample in 10 days, it's going to be a long 10 days if he doesn't seem to get any better, if he gets worse I am calling him ASAP

Sometimes things just take time.

What type of feed and milk replacer is he getting?

FYI, 75lbs at 3 months is extremely small... even for a twin. What breed is he? Jersey?

I am jsut guessing on the weight, he is a holstein
But he is a good 15-25 pounds smaller than sis...
The feed and replacer are both Purina Products, here where we live we don't get too many options on feed more of an equestrian area than cattle

i would almost treat for pnemonia as well. With his defences down right now he is prime canidate for a secondary infection, and those happen fast. The not able to get up on his own could be a start.
My advice and i am not a vet, just a cow/calf, so my experience would say a shot of Nuflor, (what we use here..so what you use might be different) and anafin. Anafin is an anti infalmatory non steriodal. there is also predef and banamine.
I woudl skip the LA200 and go directly to the "good stuff" such as nufor or what you might have on hand. Follow the directions and treat for about a week to start. Best to get it early rather than miss it and fight it when the calf gets weaker.

RR

You didn't mention it in your post, but if you haven't already I would be sure to worm the other calf as well.

surely you mean 3 weeks and not 3 months. i dont believe a holstein could live for 3 months and only be 75lbs.

Yes I have wormed the other calve! My dog is on something a little stonger too now - as he love to roll aound in it! YECK - keeping him out of the pasture too!

Hubby picked him up to feed him this am and he said he seemed a lot stronger.

** I may be off on the weight - by exact - it is totally a guess, they were born in June so he is almost 3 months... If we get this cleared up, I will give him soemthing extra to get him caught up to sis.

I will call the vet to ask about treating for Phneumonia - great idea thanks...

As bad as I hate to sound like a "caustic", (that's a pun! ;-) )
old grudger.

If he is 3 mos. old and only weighs 75 lbs., I think you are better off to cut your losses and put him down. No sense in the animal suffering. I'm sorry to be blunt. I hate to lose any calf, and take steps to avoid it when I can.

I'm sure that you can find someone in your area that will sell you a healthy animal.

i'm going to venture to say that this person probably isnt very good at guesstimating weights. i know i suck at it still, lol. i would imagine a twin holstein calf would weigh about 65-75 lbs at birth. at least.

Have soeone with a better calibrated eye, like the vet, eyball them as to weight. If these calves are really that small, I think a visit to or by a large animal vet is required!

My next question for "Well Fed Ranch" is... how much is the calf eating per day? in pounds (grain) and quarts (milk).

For twin holstein calves... I've seen them around 50lbs/ea at birth, but even with less than a 1lb ADG they should be around 120lbs at 3 months. Ideally the calf would be around 175-200lbs now. I'd guess beefy's right and WFR is just guesstimating the calf's weight too low, which is easy to do on a big boned leggy holstein calf.

WFR, I think a pic is in order now. ;-) We're all curious about the calf.

I got to agree, 75 pounds at 3 months? If that's true, time to cut your loses.

milkmaid":1pzvofgx said:
My next question for "Well Fed Ranch" is... how much is the calf eating per day? in pounds (grain) and quarts (milk).

For twin holstein calves... I've seen them around 50lbs/ea at birth, but even with less than a 1lb ADG they should be around 120lbs at 3 months. Ideally the calf would be around 175-200lbs now. I'd guess beefy's right and WFR is just guesstimating the calf's weight too low, which is easy to do on a big boned leggy holstein calf.

WFR, I think a pic is in order now. ;-) We're all curious about the calf.

Not on subject, but MM is that you in your pic?

If so, good to finally put a face with a name. ;-)

Sorry about your trouble WFR.These kinds of calves are too hard to deal with, in terms of time,money,and your nerves.It does'nt take any more milk to feed the best calf and in the long run you will have a much better steer .Buy at least a healthy 90 lb holstein calf.When you become more experienced then you can try higher risk calves.

I was totally guessing on the weight - The vet was out yesterday, and he said he would guess "not quite 125"
OOOps on my part. I don't even weigh that much, so who am I to guess...

The vet was out yesterday and he treated him with 2 IV 2 wormers and vitamin B6 and 12

There has been no change except he is having scours this afternoon, tomorrow is going to be a hard decision day SAD :(

Any one know of any good farms in FLA - where I can get some healthy darn calves???? AAAaaargh!

Latest posts