New Calf's naval cord

Help Support CattleToday:

I talk to my vet about this very issue this year, and he said if you can move them out of your winter lot into the pasture he wouldn't worry about dipping the cords. I used to try to keep cows and calves in until I could turn all the cows out, but seemed to loose to many calves. Have switched and now turned them out within 24 hours, given they have drank and have had much better success. Probably depends on how you are set up. I've got 70 cows on about an acre dry lot which in the spring isn't real dry. Getting them out on that clean pasture has made all the difference for me.

Poorfarmer it does make a difference to have them on a clean pasture. Mine stay out year round, so they are not on a dirt lot, but the pasture is "used". Bacteria is always present in the environment, they can pick it up anywhere. For me I prefer to be safe than sorry.

That is true. Just passing what has worked for me and if I start have trouble I may have to change strategies, but the past 3 years no problems.

Branguscowgirl, i'm curious.....do you think there is a significant difference between dipping vs. spraying? If so i would like to hear your opinion/ comparison. I have never dipped them, only ever sprayed when processing. Now, im not stingy with the spray, and i try to coat it good. Its always a nice dried up "shrivel" by the next day...i can see where dipping would be advantageous at possibly getting some iodine up into the cord to dry from inside a bit too. Its just quicker and simpler for me to spray vs. trying to "cup" the navel..Appreciate your thoughts...

A bigger cup makes it quicker and easier. A mason jar even, but hang onto it, or they'll knock it out of your hand. I'm now using a baby food jar, but its a touch on the small size to scoop the naval into quickly. Its about 2/3rds full and I just reuse it over and over and top it up when needed.

I just feel I get 100% job when I dip to their belly and shake it. Spraying I found I would spray at this angle and that angle, and 2nd guess if I got enough on one side or sprayed half it on the ground. With a jar there's no denying I got it covered.

Supa Dexta":35fzjyan said:
A bigger cup makes it quicker and easier. A mason jar even, but hang onto it, or they'll knock it out of your hand. I'm now using a baby food jar, but its a touch on the small size to scoop the naval into quickly. Its about 2/3rds full and I just reuse it over and over and top it up when needed.

I just feel I get 100% job when I dip to their belly and shake it. Spraying I found I would spray at this angle and that angle, and 2nd guess if I got enough on one side or sprayed half it on the ground. With a jar there's no denying I got it covered.
That's why I use aa teat dip cup. Ifit gets knocked out of your hand you only loose that which is in the cup itself, not the lower part that has the extra stuff in it.
http://design.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h ... 5&gas=teat dip cup

bball":2u8vklno said:
Branguscowgirl, i'm curious.....do you think there is a significant difference between dipping vs. spraying? If so i would like to hear your opinion/ comparison. I have never dipped them, only ever sprayed when processing. Now, im not stingy with the spray, and i try to coat it good. Its always a nice dried up "shrivel" by the next day...i can see where dipping would be advantageous at possibly getting some iodine up into the cord to dry from inside a bit too. Its just quicker and simpler for me to spray vs. trying to "cup" the navel..Appreciate your thoughts...
I think dipping is better, for all the reasons Supa Dexta said. I just feel like I got every thing saturated well. But if you are being thorough with your spray, I am sure it will work for you just fine.

hillsdown":1zgtifho said:
All that will do is prevent naval ill or septicemia, septicemia meningitis NOT scours.

Most references I found are fairly old. I am guessing there are not many recent references because there is no new information to add. Most references on the net actually recommend 7 % tincture of iodine

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publicat ... eef_25.pdf
2nd page, point D

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/Ag.%20Ex ... print1.pdf
2nd page, point 5. It also addresses the question of spraying vs dipping.

http://library.ndsu.edu/tools/dspace/lo ... sequence=1
1st page, 2nd column, 2nd paragraph.

Thanks for the followup. Prolly just keep spraying until I have an issue.