New Calf's naval cord

Help Support CattleToday:

reeler

Reaction score
We have a new calf born 7:00 pm last night.This morning noticed the naval cord is approximately 9" long, moist & bright red. Calf & Mom out on pasture, doing well. Do I need to cut & dip cord in iodine, or let it be? Sorry if this is dumb question, but don't recall seeing cord that long before. Thanks, still a nervous newbie.

You could soak it with iodine to make you feel better, but I would just leave it alone.

I routinely treat mine with Betadine or Iodine at birth and again the next day. Use the dilute concentration or dilute 10% with some water or you can blister their skin.
Seems the only one I didn't treat got a navel infection, though I am sure most of the big operations don't treat the cords. It's just my luck I guess.
I put it in an old pill bottle and submerge the cord up to the navel and give it a good agitation.

My :2cents: , spray and leave it alone. I spray all new calves navels within 24 hrs of birth.

Alan":3ncivk2j said:
My :2cents: , spray and leave it alone. I spray all new calves navels within 24 hrs of birth.
We used to dip all navels at birth and again the next day. Of course the cow just licked it all off rightaway. Since we're calving in clean grassy pastures I haven;t bothered. Knock on wood, no navel/joint ill problems.

Most years our pastures are wet and muddy this time of year, your "knock on wood" point is why I spray. I have wondered many times as I'm wrestling with the newborn if mom is just going to lick off the spray anyway. It always comes down to no navel problems yet so I don't fix it if it's not broken..... But I will join you on knocking on wood with navel infections.

Agree with Alan.. wet and sloppy here too. They do seem to lick it pretty quick, but either way, within 24hrs that sucker is a dried up shrivel. Got to process them anyway,so what's a couple squirts of iodine.

dun":1ljoc2zm said:
Alan":1ljoc2zm said:
We used to dip all navels at birth and again the next day. Of course the cow just licked it all off rightaway. Since we're calving in clean grassy pastures I haven;t bothered. Knock on wood, no navel/joint ill problems.

I don't spray them all but try to get most of them. Like dun says most of the time the cow licks it right off and then gives me a how dare you look. Kind of the same look my wife gives me when I say something stupid in public.

Thanks everybody for the help! This evening we went out on our quest to apply the iodine. After searching, found the calf sleeping, up next to the fence. Startled the calf, & it jumped through the fence, into neighbors pasture.Hubby went through gate, into pasture, then Mama cow shows up. She's mooing, baby's trying to get back through fence, & finally makes it. She quickly pushes baby outta there. I'm ready to give up, but hubby is determined. We follow them, & gave Mama with range cubes. While she eats, hubby quickly douses navel, & we peeled out. (The navel cord had already shrunk up to a couple inches)
Deep South, it's me that got the 'how dare you' look, this time. Would rather be safe than sorry.

Yeah something like a small drinking cup sized container works great. Scoop the naval into it, press it up against their stomach and quickly shake it a few times to douse them. I think it stings, cause they don't like to stick around long for it. That said I haven't been doing mine the last few years.. Used to all the time, but got away from it. Lost my cup likely. ha

Supa Dexta":13l35niy said:
Yeah something like a small drinking cup sized container works great. Scoop the naval into it, press it up against their stomach and quickly shake it a few times to douse them. I think it stings, cause they don't like to stick around long for it. That said I haven't been doing mine the last few years.. Used to all the time, but got away from it. Lost my cup likely. ha
A teat dipping cup works great.

How would you guys rate your bedding situations with new calves? Wet and dirty is supposed to be bad for new exposed navals - so likely to have more problems in that situation. I know myself this time of year my fresh bedding could be gone in an hour if a storm blows in. so I should get back to dipping.

If your calves are always born in dry clean bedding, or on pasture its likely less risk.

Dipping the navel in 5% tincture of iodine (the stuff that stains, not the surgical soap) as often as possible (at least twice a day, preferrably more) will make a big difference in preventing scours.

5% Tincture of iodine is a disinfectant and will accelerate the navel drying time. The purpose is to make that entry route as unpleasant as possible for bacteria.

This product is very cheap and can save headaches. Some places sell a concentrated version, you should dilute it down with clean water to make a 5% solution (make sure it says Tincture though).

branguscowgirl":2672xfkc said:
I routinely treat mine with Betadine or Iodine at birth and again the next day. Use the dilute concentration or dilute 10% with some water or you can blister their skin.
Seems the only one I didn't treat got a navel infection, though I am sure most of the big operations don't treat the cords. It's just my luck I guess.
I put it in an old pill bottle and submerge the cord up to the navel and give it a good agitation.
Tried your pill bottle technique, worked great! Thanks for sharing. Helpful to have the iodine in a small container.

Koffi Babone":yfcpqog5 said:
Dipping the navel in 5% tincture of iodine (the stuff that stains, not the surgical soap) as often as possible (at least twice a day, preferrably more) will make a big difference in preventing scours.

5% Tincture of iodine is a disinfectant and will accelerate the navel drying time. The purpose is to make that entry route as unpleasant as possible for bacteria.

This product is very cheap and can save headaches. Some places sell a concentrated version, you should dilute it down with clean water to make a 5% solution (make sure it says Tincture though).
Thanks for taking the time to make the clarification! Much appreciated

Koffi Babone":39v62kft said:

All that will do is prevent naval ill or septicemia, septicemia meningitis NOT scours.

reeler":2minlqjy said:
branguscowgirl":2minlqjy said:
Tried your pill bottle technique, worked great! Thanks for sharing. Helpful to have the iodine in a small container.
Glad it worked well for you. :D
I buy it by the gallon, so yes a pill bottle works nice to carry around, use, and toss out. Or wash with soap and reuse. I feel that submerging the cord up to the navel soaking it well, is more effective than spraying.

Latest posts