New calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

reeler

Reaction score
First new calf of the year, born around 11 pm. It's up & sucking, but pouring down rain. Temp about 45, going down to 35. The cow had her first baby last year, & was a good mother. They have access to a loafing barn. I'm concerned about the weather conditions, & am wondering if I should try to get them in the barn, or leave them be? The mother is extremely uncomfortable if away from the herd.

The calf would be better under cover, but not if it makes mamma nervous. Probably best to let them be. Cows have calves in the rain every day. Just keep an eye on it tomorrow and make sure it is strong.

a full belly for the calf and she should be OK.. can they go under a tree or something? Calves are amazingly good at finding comfortable little nooks (and hidden away from you too!)

We've had around 100 born in the same conditions.. I always hate to see it, but they get through it.

branguscowgirl":122olbcb said:
The calf would be better under cover, but not if it makes mamma nervous. Probably best to let them be. Cows have calves in the rain every day. Just keep an eye on it tomorrow and make sure it is strong.
Thank You so much for answering!! Both doin ok,but mama is nervous.no internet with weather, will update when I can

Nesikep":34ocfo05 said:
a full belly for the calf and she should be OK.. can they go under a tree or something? Calves are amazingly good at finding comfortable little nooks (and hidden away from you too!)
Thank you, You're right, she wanted to go hide under a clump of cedar trees, close to the loafing barn. Baby up & sucking this morning! :banana: Thanks again!

cowgirl8":jkc6yf2c said:
We've had around 100 born in the same conditions.. I always hate to see it, but they get through it.
Thank you for sharing, I can't even imagine 100 calves! I'm still a newbie, & this was the first time a birth was in that kind of weather. Guess I've been fortunate.I've been a nervous wreck, & needed some guidance, Thanks !

If the calf is strong and nursing well, it should do just fine. Like Nesi had said, a full belly makes all the difference! It may even find the loafing shed all on its own.

branguscowgirl":2i79homo said:
If the calf is strong and nursing well, it should do just fine. Like Nesi had said, a full belly makes all the difference! It may even find the loafing shed all on its own.
Thanks for your encouraging message. You're right, Mom & baby doin fine. Tried to post a pic, but didn't work. Mom has hidden baby out of sight for the night. 1 down, 5 to go!

Latest posts