New bull time

Help Support CattleToday:

Neighbor has this purebred angus youngster. Be about 18 months I reckon. He wants 3000.
Heifer safe etc.
GENTLE. Can pet while he's eating and what not. Comes from a breeder not far from here.
View attachment 37824View attachment 37825
Not bad looking. Some waste up front in the brisket. Need more and better pics, which is hard to do with a black animal.

Not bad looking. Some waste up front in the brisket. Need more and better pics, which is hard to do with a black animal.
Hehe. Took that pic from the road zoomed in a bit.
If I go in there he will wanna sell him again.
I do like the way he is developing over the past several months. He looked like a pup when he first showed up down there and I wasn't too impressed. He's got 3 animals that he bred with him.

Pretty good looking bull. The brisket area is pronounced but that wouldn't really affect my decision one way or the other as far as a bull to sell commercial calves from.
I wonder what his story is?
Did the neighbor buy him to use himself and is through with him?

Pretty good looking bull. The brisket area is pronounced but that wouldn't really affect my decision one way or the other as far as a bull to sell commercial calves from.
I wonder what his story is?
Did the neighbor buy him to use himself and is through with him?
He is friends with the breeder that actually owns the bull. Long story but his kids do a bit of work for the breeder as well. The heifers the boy raised on a bottle and he needed them bred. Good neighbor/friend loaned him the young bull.

After yalls comments I'll see if I can get some better pics. He is purebred but not registered. Sebranek Angus farms in crescent oklahoma own the bull

He is friends with the breeder that actually owns the bull. Long story but his kids do a bit of work for the breeder as well. The heifers the boy raised on a bottle and he needed them bred. Good neighbor/friend loaned him the young bull.

After yalls comments I'll see if I can get some better pics. He is purebred but not registered. Sebranek Angus farms in crescent oklahoma own the bull
I would ask why. Dunno why anyone would not register a bull from two registered parents, especially one they wanted to sell as a breeder. Makes me wonder if that bulging brisket could be something genetic. Perhaps they don't want any registered angus calves with their name on the papers, that had that condition? I would ask next time I talked with them, and use it as a bargaining tool. Take $2500 in dead presidents with you, show it to them and tell them that's is what you can give today for the bull. Don't say he aint worth $3k. Say: " I sold some cattle last week, to get the money to buy a bull. This is what I have to spend, and I will pay that for your bull right now. Can you help me out?"

I would ask why. Dunno why anyone would not register a bull from two registered parents, especially one they wanted to sell as a breeder. Makes me wonder if that bulging brisket could be something genetic. Perhaps they don't want any registered angus calves with their name on the papers, that had that condition? I would ask next time I talked with them, and use it as a bargaining tool. Take $2500 in dead presidents with you, show it to them and tell them that's is what you can give today for the bull. Don't say he aint worth $3k. Say: " I sold some cattle last week, to get the money to buy a bull. This is what I have to spend, and I will pay that for your bull right now. Can you help me out?"
That's exactly what I did Warren! 😆
You'll be happy to know, the minis are gone. All of em! 🤣

If I don't get a bull Tuesday, this may be my go to. However there is a special sale the 14th as well at another barn...

For what it's worth. I think there is something odd about the picture. I don't remember him have a large brisket. Perhaps a bit of leather/loose skin. But not a large issue. I'll try and get some better pics soon.

That's exactly what I did Warren! 😆
You'll be happy to know, the minis are gone. All of em! 🤣

If I don't get a bull Tuesday, this may be my go to. However there is a special sale the 14th as well at another barn...

For what it's worth. I think there is something odd about the picture. I don't remember him have a large brisket. Perhaps a bit of leather/loose skin. But not a large issue. I'll try and get some better pics soon.
In those 2 sales I sent the link to you on Saturday, registered black BM bulls, and registered black Simm and Simmang bulls sold for around that price. But, that Angus might do better with your heifers. I think you are headed in the right direction, to get more for your calves next year.

That brings up a few questions that I would have before purchasing.
While I have used and have no issue with using unregistered bulls, if I'm buying a bull I want a registered bull especially for that price.
I know there are sone folks that run purebred outfits that don't keep up paperwork, but generally speaking $3000 would get a pretty decent registered Angus bull around here and possibly even DNA enhanced EPDs.
Does this Angus ranch have registered stock?
If they do, generally here most people register their calves fairly early, it's not very expensive under 9 months if I remember right. The Angus business is so competitive here that registered/DNA etc are a given.
I would be a little concerned about possible carrier status of something like Developmental Duplication on an unregistered animal as maybe the reason for not registering him.
Like I said pretty good looking bull, but might want to do some questioning about him before going too far just to be on the safe side.

While I have used and have no issue with using unregistered bulls, if I'm buying a bull I want a registered bull especially for that price.
I know there are sone folks that run purebred outfits that don't keep up paperwork, but generally speaking $3000 would get a pretty decent registered Angus bull around here and possibly even DNA enhanced EPDs.
If they do, generally here most people register their calves fairly early, it's not very expensive under 9 months if I remember right. The Angus business is so competitive here that registered/DNA etc are a given.
I would be a little concerned about possible carrier status of something like Developmental Duplication on an unregistered animal as maybe the reason for not registering him.
Like I said pretty good looking bull, but might want to do some questioning about him before going too far just to be on the safe side.
We are thinking alike. I agree 100%.

All thoughts I have had as well!!

I have no intention of giving 3000. I've told him so several times. Every time I go down there he tries to sell him to me! 🤣

I have seen similar bulls from the SAME breeder bring 2500 and much less at regular sales. The thing I really really like about this bull is I feel like I almost know him already. And he's gentle enough my neighbor let's the boys feed the group. The one boy is all the time petting the bull. 🤪

All thoughts I have had as well!!

I have no intention of giving 3000. I've told him so several times. Every time I go down there he tries to sell him to me! 🤣

I have seen similar bulls from the SAME breeder bring 2500 and much less at regular sales. The thing I really really like about this bull is I feel like I almost know him already. And he's gentle enough my neighbor let's the boys feed the group. The one boy is all the time petting the bull. 🤪
Another thing to consider, and these numbers are hypothetical...I have no idea how much their bulls are. But, say you could buy one of @Jeanne - Simme Valley 's or @simme 's bulls at , say, $5k. You'd probably recover that extra $2k cost with your first calf crop. Or, hit up @gizmom to see what they might have in an Angus bull. Just thinking out loud.....

Latest posts